Worth Fixing?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worth Fixing?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Worth Fixing?

Hi all. I have a 2008 RRS and it needs what might be a good bit of work. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth fixing or would I be better off buying one in better condition.

It needs the steering wheel air bag replaced and likely everything reset as far as sensors and seatbelt tensioners. Also needs
    - leaky sunroof repaired (motor/receiver maybe)
    - keyless remote sensor plus new keys and fobs
    - right rear bushings
    - right front control arm
    - I’d really like to replace all the bushings
    - upper tail gate latch needs replacing
    - any and everything else you may recommend for getting it in tip-top shape.

Everything else works good. Engine runs strong and only has 112k. I was driving it with plans to fix some of the things I listed and it drove great but I hydroplaned into a ditch and hit the concrete drain pipe at just the right angle to blow the tire, bend the control arm, and deploy the bag. Hence the current list. Ironically there wasn’t a scratch on the body. I trust your feedback. Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations you can give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Worth Fixing?

It is probably worth fixing. If you have collision coverage, you might get most issues (not fob or leaking roof) for the cost of your deductible.
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Worth Fixing?

There is no "right" answer as it really comes down to your financial situation, how much you like your current car, and how much work/inconvenience you could/would do/put up with.

I mean if you don't want any inconvenience, aren't emotionally attached to your car, and can easily afford to just buy a much newer/less used RRS then I'd say just do that. However it makes no sense to spend a lot of money to switch to another car that is not a significant upgrade of age/mileage/model to what you have already, partly because you won't really find out what condition it is in (i.e. how much money it also needs spending on it) until after you've owned it for a while. Lets say its got 65000 miles on it and you want peace of mind, you can already expect some extra immediate expenses such as maybe $1500 for a transmission fluids replacement and fuel system flush, probably a relatively expensive brake job very close, and the 75k service will cost you 2000+ from the dealer. Also the air suspension seems to have parts that need replacement around that mileage too.

Otherwise I'd suggest you'd stick with what you've got and just immediately repair the things necessary to get it safely driveable, then do the other things that are just annoyances/preferences as and when you want/can afford to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I really appreciate the feedback. Kinda gives me a plan going forward. I’d like to keep it but wasn’t sure if was practical. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now