Sport - Gear selector does not hold gear
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sport - Gear selector does not hold gear

Sport - Gear selector does not hold gear

Hello - Newbie here - I have done searches in forums, and looked for YouTube videos - closest answer I can find involves adjusting the shift cable, I hope that is it -

My car is a 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury, with gas V8 and 6 speed automatic. It is American Spec, has 178k miles but was an executive commute vehicle for its first five years, never leaving the highway. Always well maintained, always serviced on time.

It is now popping out of gear.

Slowly, when I pull the Gear selector on the center console into Drive, once in a while the car would go into neutral by itself, I would pull back on the lever and it would be fine, engage transmission and accelerate. Solid in gear. I thought maybe the leather was bunching up on the shirft lever, but even holding it up, it still happens. I did move into Sport shift mode, but it feels sticky. I find if I drive holding the Gear Select lever with pressure backwards, it stays in gear, it used to stay in gear once warmed up (may not be a factor), but now I need to keep pressure backwards to keep it in gear.

I am going to take it to the mechanic tomorrow - have them lift it and look at the cable. I wondered if it was the shift mechanism itself. I guess worst case scenario is in the transmission, but when it is in gear, it is solid.

Is there anything I should know, or watch for, when it is at the mechanic?

Thanks
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 15th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Range Rover Sport - Gear selector does not hold gear

There is no shifter cable. The linkage drops down from your shifter and connects in a pretty straight route to your transmission. It connects by a surprisingly simple method of a pin through a hole on the transmission's shifter stub with a screw that clamps it in place. (Unless they monkeyed with it since 2011.) It's fairly easy to get at to adjust and only requires a screwdriver or allen key if I recall. Maybe the set screw has loosened up and thrown the linkage out of adjustment. Hope it's an ez fix.

Thanks, SaturnV - you were exactly correct. The mechanics opened the console, found the cables were a little out of alignment and dirty - cleaned them, adjuted and now it shifts as sweet as butter. They did an oil change (9 liters and a filter) plus this work for $330.

I am glad that I asked here - had I taken it to the dealer - I am sure they would have suggested replacing parts and more labor - and the bill would have been over $1,000 - as it always is when I visit the dealer.

So i appreciate having a little information so I could direct the mechanics and let them know I am not a moron with a sophisticated expensive machine

Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great to hear, glad it worked out!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now