Clicking noise
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Clicking noise

FRESHMAN ROVER

Clicking noise

Any idea what this clicking noise is? It’s kind of hit or miss when it happens. I hear it only on idle.

Thanks
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Clicking noise

Quote Originally Posted by perikson7 View Post
    Any idea what this clicking noise is? It’s kind of hit or miss when it happens. I hear it only on idle.

Thanks
    You have a supercharged?

If you do, it could be this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Khaos-Motor...xcQi9Q&vxp=mtr
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Nope no supercharger. I shut it off after the video and came back about 3 hours later started it up and no noise at all. Pulled it into my garage and it sounded fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Nope, no supercharger. I let it sit for about 3 hours after I recorded the video and then fired it back up and no noise at all. Pulled it in the garage and it was fine.

Sorry forgot the link to my video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkwpsUZceII

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind View Post
    You have a supercharged?

If you do, it could be this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Khaos-Motor...xcQi9Q&vxp=mtr
    A little more information. Its a 2012 RRS HSE. Has about 62k on it. I started it up this morning to take my kid to school and it sounded fine no clicking. It was about a 5-7 mile drive and I still didn't hear anything. Went to the gym about 4 miles away and it was fine again. When I left the gym I started it up and heard the clicking noise. I started driving back home about 7-10 miles and didn't hear it again. Pulled into my driveway and it sounded fine. Its kind of baffling when this noise happens.

FRESHMAN ROVER

It's really difficult to tell from all the competing sounds, wind, etc. I did hear what might be the electric fan ticking. This is a known issue and is an early sign you'll need to replace the fan. The best way to listen for it and record video evidence, is to leave the hood closed and listen through the grill. It will be a rhythmic tick that is unrelated to throttle movement. Ours began making the sound earlier this past winter, then it stopped one day and I haven't heard it since. I found a decent deal on ePay so I went ahead and bought a replacement. They usually run about $400-$500. I read on these boards that if left unchecked, additional damage/wear may occur to the cooling system, but I cannot confirm that.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnV View Post
    It's really difficult to tell from all the competing sounds, wind, etc. I did hear what might be the electric fan ticking. This is a known issue and is an early sign you'll need to replace the fan. The best way to listen for it and record video evidence, is to leave the hood closed and listen through the grill. It will be a rhythmic tick that is unrelated to throttle movement. Ours began making the sound earlier this past winter, then it stopped one day and I haven't heard it since. I found a decent deal on ePay so I went ahead and bought a replacement. They usually run about $400-$500. I read on these boards that if left unchecked, additional damage/wear may occur to the cooling system, but I cannot confirm that.
    Thanks this is definitely helpful. It does seem to be rhythmic and doesn't change with throttle movement. I was worried that it may be the timing chain, but I believe that is more of a rattle sound than a constant clicking. I had it in to an Indy dealer about 2 months ago and they said they didn't hear anything concerning with the timing chain, but I guess you never know.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

On my 13 HSE, it was the mechanical fuel pumps.
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah, DI fuel pumps make it sound a little bit like a diesel on idle but RPM unrelated clicking I had experienced is more common to a cold time of the year and was resolved to replacing a FAN clutch. It would appear when truck started after cold night on the driveway.
    2013 RRS SC, Fuji White with Almond/Mocha int. 80K ml

FRESHMAN ROVER
    It’s been about a week since I’ve heard the clicking. It’s also been much colder here as well. I drove it this morning and all was fine. I went to get an oil change at a local place and started hearing the noise again.

I got a little better video this time:

https://youtu.be/6cx9teoSCu4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now