Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

  1. #1
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10

    Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Are there any diagrams or pictures available that show the installation of the wiring associated with a trailer hitch on a 2012 Range Rover Sport. It looks like the part # ( VPLST0072 ) is specific to model years 2012-2013. From the online pictures there appears to be only two connectors on the harness? Does anyone know where these connections can be found?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Following. I just ordered the wiring harness and towing hitch for my 2013 RRS.

    From what I read , you need to remove the tail light on the driver side and also the carpeted panel in the trunk on the driver side and you should be seeing some "unused" plugs.

    Also, you may have to remove the bumper cover to route the wiring harness.

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonfire View Post
    Are there any diagrams or pictures available that show the installation of the wiring associated with a trailer hitch on a 2012 Range Rover Sport. It looks like the part # ( VPLST0072 ) is specific to model years 2012-2013. From the online pictures there appears to be only two connectors on the harness? Does anyone know where these connections can be found?
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

  4. #3
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    126

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    FYI According to the manual If you have the surround camera system there's a Tow Assist mode for trailer guidance. It uses a camera and needs a one-time setup and a special sticker on the trailer positioned according to specific instructions available from the dealer.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but when you are not using the two hitch, where do you store it?
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

  7. #5
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    There is a nice cut-out in the foam tool insert underneath the rear cargo area. Left side towards the back.

  8. #6
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10
    From what I can tell the wiring harness for the 2012 & 2013 is different from previous L320’s in that it is one piece with two connectors that connect between the bumper and the bumper frame. For these models it looks like there is no interior panel removal. The Utube videos online are for the 2005 thru 2011 models.

  9. #7
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by White_335i View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but when you are not using the two hitch, where do you store it?
    The hitch goes in the styrofoam storage area under the rear compartment flap with all the Jack parts

  10. #8
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by White_335i View Post
    Following. I just ordered the wiring harness and towing hitch for my 2013 RRS.

    From what I read , you need to remove the tail light on the driver side and also the carpeted panel in the trunk on the driver side and you should be seeing some "unused" plugs.

    Also, you may have to remove the bumper cover to route the wiring harness.

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonfire View Post
    Are there any diagrams or pictures available that show the installation of the wiring associated with a trailer hitch on a 2012 Range Rover Sport. It looks like the part # ( VPLST0072 ) is specific to model years 2012-2013. From the online pictures there appears to be only two connectors on the harness? Does anyone know where these connections can be found?
    From what I can tell the wiring harness for the 2012 & 2013 is different from previous L320’s in that it is one piece with two connectors that connect between the bumper and the bumper frame. For these models it looks like there is no interior panel removal. The Utube videos online are for the 2005 thru 2011 models.

  11. #9
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by justniz View Post
    FYI According to the manual If you have the surround camera system there's a Tow Assist mode for trailer guidance. It uses a camera and needs a one-time setup and a special sticker on the trailer positioned according to specific instructions available from the dealer.
    That doesn’t explain how the wiring harness is installed on a vehicle that is not originally equipped with one.

  12. #10
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Thank you!! Do you have a picture that you can share please? I tried all the open slots and the hitch didn't fit in any. TIA

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonfire View Post
    The hitch goes in the styrofoam storage area under the rear compartment flap with all the Jack parts
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

  13. #11
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2019
    Posts
    10

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by White_335i View Post
    Thank you!! Do you have a picture that you can share please? I tried all the open slots and the hitch didn't fit in any. TIA
    I haven’t purchased a hitch yet, I’m still trying to figure out how to install the wiring harness. But I do know there are two different quick release hitches that work on the Range Rovers, one is bigger ( longer ) than the other.

  14. #12
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2017
    Location
    Loveland, Colorado USA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Here's where ours lives. You can see that there is a cut out for the euro hitch as well.

    Installation of trailer hitch wiring  for 2012 RR Sport-hitch-1r.jpg
    Installation of trailer hitch wiring  for 2012 RR Sport-hitch-2r.jpg

  15. #13
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Thank you for the pictures.
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

  16. #14
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonfire View Post
    I haven’t purchased a hitch yet, I’m still trying to figure out how to install the wiring harness. But I do know there are two different quick release hitches that work on the Range Rovers, one is bigger ( longer ) than the other.
    I had received the wiring harness from Atlantic british today. Wiring has 2 plugs. Came with instructions(not detailed).. Looks like all that needs to be done is remove the bumper cover and install the wiring harness and obviously coding after
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

  17. #15
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2018
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8

    Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

    Just completed the installation.

    I had removed the tail lights first. Passenger side is optional, but you will have to remove the driver side if your truck has pdc.
    Then remove the bumper cover and you will see the plugs on the driver side reinforcement bar. The wiring harness comes with instructions and once you remove the cover, it will be obvious. Took me about an hour to do this.
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. 2012-2013 Sport Trailer Wiring
    By Special Ed in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 27th, 2018, 01:18 PM
  2. 06-09 trailer wiring installation
    By RoverP38 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 14th, 2017, 07:26 PM
  3. 2011 Range Rover Sport Trailer wiring harness (VPLST0016) installation
    By johnmoeinfl in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 12th, 2015, 05:03 PM
  4. Trailer Hitch Installation and Price
    By At Law in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0