Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

FRESHMAN ROVER

Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

Are there any diagrams or pictures available that show the installation of the wiring associated with a trailer hitch on a 2012 Range Rover Sport. It looks like the part # ( VPLST0072 ) is specific to model years 2012-2013. From the online pictures there appears to be only two connectors on the harness? Does anyone know where these connections can be found?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Installation of trailer hitch wiring for 2012 RR Sport

Following. I just ordered the wiring harness and towing hitch for my 2013 RRS.

From what I read , you need to remove the tail light on the driver side and also the carpeted panel in the trunk on the driver side and you should be seeing some "unused" plugs.

Also, you may have to remove the bumper cover to route the wiring harness.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonfire View Post
    Are there any diagrams or pictures available that show the installation of the wiring associated with a trailer hitch on a 2012 Range Rover Sport. It looks like the part # ( VPLST0072 ) is specific to model years 2012-2013. From the online pictures there appears to be only two connectors on the harness? Does anyone know where these connections can be found?
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

FRESHMAN ROVER

FYI According to the manual If you have the surround camera system there's a Tow Assist mode for trailer guidance. It uses a camera and needs a one-time setup and a special sticker on the trailer positioned according to specific instructions available from the dealer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but when you are not using the two hitch, where do you store it?
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

There is a nice cut-out in the foam tool insert underneath the rear cargo area. Left side towards the back.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    From what I can tell the wiring harness for the 2012 & 2013 is different from previous L320’s in that it is one piece with two connectors that connect between the bumper and the bumper frame. For these models it looks like there is no interior panel removal. The Utube videos online are for the 2005 thru 2011 models.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by White_335i View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but when you are not using the two hitch, where do you store it?
    The hitch goes in the styrofoam storage area under the rear compartment flap with all the Jack parts

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Following. I just ordered the wiring harness and towing hitch for my 2013 RRS.

From what I read , you need to remove the tail light on the driver side and also the carpeted panel in the trunk on the driver side and you should be seeing some "unused" plugs.

Also, you may have to remove the bumper cover to route the wiring harness.

From what I can tell the wiring harness for the 2012 & 2013 is different from previous L320’s in that it is one piece with two connectors that connect between the bumper and the bumper frame. For these models it looks like there is no interior panel removal. The Utube videos online are for the 2005 thru 2011 models.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by justniz View Post
    FYI According to the manual If you have the surround camera system there's a Tow Assist mode for trailer guidance. It uses a camera and needs a one-time setup and a special sticker on the trailer positioned according to specific instructions available from the dealer.
    That doesn’t explain how the wiring harness is installed on a vehicle that is not originally equipped with one.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you!! Do you have a picture that you can share please? I tried all the open slots and the hitch didn't fit in any. TIA

The hitch goes in the styrofoam storage area under the rear compartment flap with all the Jack parts
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you!! Do you have a picture that you can share please? I tried all the open slots and the hitch didn't fit in any. TIA
    I haven’t purchased a hitch yet, I’m still trying to figure out how to install the wiring harness. But I do know there are two different quick release hitches that work on the Range Rovers, one is bigger ( longer ) than the other.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here's where ours lives. You can see that there is a cut out for the euro hitch as well.

Installation of trailer hitch wiring  for 2012 RR Sport-hitch-1r.jpg
    Installation of trailer hitch wiring  for 2012 RR Sport-hitch-2r.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you for the pictures.
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

FRESHMAN ROVER

I haven’t purchased a hitch yet, I’m still trying to figure out how to install the wiring harness. But I do know there are two different quick release hitches that work on the Range Rovers, one is bigger ( longer ) than the other.
    I had received the wiring harness from Atlantic british today. Wiring has 2 plugs. Came with instructions(not detailed).. Looks like all that needs to be done is remove the bumper cover and install the wiring harness and obviously coding after
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just completed the installation.

I had removed the tail lights first. Passenger side is optional, but you will have to remove the driver side if your truck has pdc.
    Then remove the bumper cover and you will see the plugs on the driver side reinforcement bar. The wiring harness comes with instructions and once you remove the cover, it will be obvious. Took me about an hour to do this.
    13 Sport LUX, 03 M3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now