Big engine trouble
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big engine trouble

FRESHMAN ROVER

Big engine trouble

Hi all, to cut a long story short ... started and drove my well looked after 2006 with 88k 3 miles to work and then noticed steam coming from hood but no warning lights. A mechanic I work with said it was the thermostats gasket and I dropped off at local place to get this easy job done.They then test drove it and blew the head gaskets and cooked it hard. Estimate to replace gaskets up to 3k. Trailered it to Land Rover dealer and they agree engine has been cooked and estimate 6k to get it back on the road or replace engine for 8 k. Now have a broken and seemingly worthless vehicle and not sure what to do next ......

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Big engine trouble

See a lawyer. Although it might be hard to prove that it overheated on their test drive and not your taking it to their shop.

If the car is in great shape, otherwise, have the engine rebuilt. You can't buy anything as good for $8000.
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

FRESHMAN ROVER
    What engine is it - had the same thing happen on an 2006 4.4 and it was not anything like that to repair. Had to replace 1 head as it was warped and both heads machined so they were even. Got a new head for around $600 and other one straightened and machined for about $400.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

The main thing is to not make any quick decisions. If you don't have a backup vehicle and really need a ride, buy a cheap beater off of craigslist. We had an idiot who owns an independent Land Rover shop in Oklahoma City tell us our transmission was bad and we believed him that the only course was full replacement. Had I taken a breather from the problem, there are 2-3 different ways I would have handled it and saved money.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for your replies. Still not sure what to do. The lawyer option would be hard to prove. Everyone also saying if I repair replace the heads will be expensive and there could be further damage once they get into that . Maybe a replacement 4.4 engine is the way to go ? But finding one and getting it installed will be pricey too . Car is in too good condition to junk and only worth $1500 to trade ( they raised $500 !)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Working at the dealership for many years and dealing with all kinds of customers. We would get people that had been to multiple mechanics and finally bring it in for us to look at the car. There is one thing i always told people. Find a mechanic you trust his word, it is the most valuable asset to you as a customer. With that being said any mechanic Should tell you that there could be possible other issues after tear down and inspection. This is where the honesty comes in. Most of the time a head job is just a that. You repair it and the car drives away. Every once in a while you see another issue (I.E warped damaged block, scored cylinder wall, cracks in pistons...) its not common but it happens. At this point your investment in the repair is just tear down cost only and if you do need an engine... then its not that much money to know exactly where you stand.

I would tear it down and inspect it for sure if it was me. If it was a customer i would probably transfer some of that cost into the replacement of the engine if you wanted to proceed.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Pleas explain how they blew it up yet you think you need to pay for it?
    If it was me I'd be asking them how they intend to get and install a replacement motor at their expense.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now