Upgrade Question
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Upgrade Question

  1. #1
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    October 10th, 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    22

    Upgrade Question

    I currently have a 06’ RRS SC and I’m looking to upgrade to a 12’ SC. Is there anything that I should be looking for specifically on those? Like for example the air struts having problems or something?
    06 RRS SC Fuji Black, Custom Exhaust, Black Headliner, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim and 20"Black Rims

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2019
    Location
    Holmdel, NJ
    Posts
    40

    Re: Upgrade Question

    Hi, not really. Airstuts aren't the same P/N but not any bigger issue than in 06. I think in 2010 and up, timing is a biggest gremlin but those seem to be more common in 2010-2011, I believe 2012-2013 year production vehicles received a newer tensioner design from the factory. Sometime supercharger drive coupler/snout gets noisy but thats once in a while and not really expensive repair. Besides that, I don't think LR has invented any major issues in 2010 and up models VS up to 2009. Same bulletproof ZF tranny somewhat updated - 6HP28, many "something here and there" were carried over but being owner of "06 should not really be any surprises for you.
    2013 RRS SC, Fuji White with Almond/Mocha int. 80K ml

  4. #3
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    October 10th, 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman NJ View Post
    Hi, not really. Airstuts aren't the same P/N but not any bigger issue than in 06. I think in 2010 and up, timing is a biggest gremlin but those seem to be more common in 2010-2011, I believe 2012-2013 year production vehicles received a newer tensioner design from the factory. Sometime supercharger drive coupler/snout gets noisy but thats once in a while and not really expensive repair. Besides that, I don't think LR has invented any major issues in 2010 and up models VS up to 2009. Same bulletproof ZF tranny somewhat updated - 6HP28, many "something here and there" were carried over but being owner of "06 should not really be any surprises for you.

    Thanks! I was looking at getting a 2012 sc autobiography
    06 RRS SC Fuji Black, Custom Exhaust, Black Headliner, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim and 20"Black Rims

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    462

    Re: Upgrade Question

    Roman has it: Read up on timing chain issues in the 5.0L engines. Supposedly solved by 13 MY; but . . . . The mechanical fuel pumps are noisy; some issues with water pumps and assorted cooling parts, and the usual issues with Super charger bearings, just like the 4.2L. The rest is same maintenance issues of which you are already aware. By '12 the had sorted out most of the issues with the early 06 strut airbags and pumps. I would suggest staying away from a unit that has been heavily offroaded. An issue I found switching from an 08 RRS/SC to a '13, which you shouldn't see in the Autobiography, but I had in an HSE, seat heaters were no longer standard equipment.
    Cheers, Jim

    2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

  7. #5
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    October 10th, 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    22

    Re: Upgrade Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jhartz View Post
    Roman has it: Read up on timing chain issues in the 5.0L engines. Supposedly solved by 13 MY; but . . . . The mechanical fuel pumps are noisy; some issues with water pumps and assorted cooling parts, and the usual issues with Super charger bearings, just like the 4.2L. The rest is same maintenance issues of which you are already aware. By '12 the had sorted out most of the issues with the early 06 strut airbags and pumps. I would suggest staying away from a unit that has been heavily offroaded. An issue I found switching from an 08 RRS/SC to a '13, which you shouldn't see in the Autobiography, but I had in an HSE, seat heaters were no longer standard equipment.
    I
    I'm looking for one that's preferably supercharged. If i couldn't find a supercharged model I don't think I'd upgrade because I'm not ready to lose my acceleration
    06 RRS SC Fuji Black, Custom Exhaust, Black Headliner, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim and 20"Black Rims

  8. #6
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    126

    Re: Upgrade Question

    I have a 2012 SC. I love the car but in the 9 months or so of owning it there have been multiple faults and high expenses. Generally It drinks gas like a fish. Supercharger needed a new nose bearing which was about $2.5k. Suspension height needed recalibrating ($200). New tyres and TPMS sensors about $1.5k. New brakes about $1K even shopping carefully (dealer wanted 2.5k). The dealer also wanted $2.5k for the 75k service (LR specialist charged $600 for it but + another $700 for a badly-needed tranny flush and fuel system service). Firmware update needed to prevent the head unit regularly locking up at startup was another $250. Just took it offloading last weekend now getting intermittent warnings saying "suspension fault". Quick stop at same LR specialist suggested it will be probably be at least another $3k to put right. On startup, one or other of the 5 cameras are often stuck on blue then work fine the next start. Drivers seat: both the inflatable boltster and butt supports now won't stay inflated for more than about 15 seconds. Drivers side armrest suddenly started rotating too far back (I'm not a fattie or rough on cars, I weigh 185lbs). Drivers window stopped working but it turned out to just be a loose connector.
    I can see with my IID tool that there are many random errors happening throughout the car that don't result in actual warning lights (temporary communication bus losses etc), that along with the need for a head unit firmware update to stop it locking up strongly indicates to me (a professional software engineer) that the whole computer network and/or software running them is actually poorly engineered.
    I feel like as fast as I can fix something, 2 more things are gonna pop up, and that every extra penny I earn is going to keep being sucked away by this car.

  9. #7
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2019
    Location
    Holmdel, NJ
    Posts
    40

    Re: Upgrade Question

    Quote Originally Posted by justniz View Post
    I have a 2012 SC. I love the car but in the 9 months or so of owning it there have been multiple faults and high expenses. Generally It drinks gas like a fish. Supercharger needed a new nose bearing which was about $2.5k. Suspension height needed recalibrating ($200). New tyres and TPMS sensors about $1.5k. New brakes about $1K even shopping carefully (dealer wanted 2.5k). The dealer also wanted $2.5k for the 75k service (LR specialist charged $600 for it but + another $700 for a badly-needed tranny flush and fuel system service). Firmware update needed to prevent the head unit regularly locking up at startup was another $250. Just took it offloading last weekend now getting intermittent warnings saying "suspension fault". Quick stop at same LR specialist suggested it will be probably be at least another $3k to put right. On startup, one or other of the 5 cameras are often stuck on blue then work fine the next start. Drivers seat: both the inflatable boltster and butt supports now won't stay inflated for more than about 15 seconds. Drivers side armrest suddenly started rotating too far back (I'm not a fattie or rough on cars, I weigh 185lbs). Drivers window stopped working but it turned out to just be a loose connector.
    I can see with my IID tool that there are many random errors happening throughout the car that don't result in actual warning lights (temporary communication bus losses etc), that along with the need for a head unit firmware update to stop it locking up strongly indicates to me (a professional software engineer) that the whole computer network and/or software running them is actually poorly engineered.
    I feel like as fast as I can fix something, 2 more things are gonna pop up, and that every extra penny I earn is going to keep being sucked away by this car.
    Hi, I see you're having some unfortunate events with your Rover but some things you mentioned come with the big question.
    Let me explain:
    - Gas drinking - yes. I get 13MPG in City driving and 18/19 on the hwy which is probably in line with everyone else, the 510 hp forced induction engine propelling almost 3 ton truck in a manner that you can race corvettes has to take it's power from something. Besides, I was told that upon buying RR new owner automatically signs non official note about never complaining about fuel consumption
    - Superchager Snout 2.5K? I haven's seen that replaced with my own eyes but I don't think that entire SC assembly has to come out, which would make it a big job, I think it can be replaced from the top/front. Here, look:
    this is brand new Genunie part:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharge...AAAOSwKk5ce4u3
    Rebuilt kit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharge...EAAOSww9xZBhyz
    So I am not sure what could be made up on the top to make it two and a half grand.
    - Tires and TPMS sensors. I just bought RIMs, Tires, TPMS sensors and left my winter tires mounted for use next year.
    Tires were 275/40ZR-20 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XL and cost 899 for a set,
    TPMS Sensors https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Land...72.m2749.l2649
    $35. Mount and balance another 100-120... I guess if you went with the best there is - Michelin Lattitude Tour HP you would rack up 1500 bill but tires are wearable item and will need to be replaced once upon a time and if you drive in the area with not so nice roads, they will take a beating more due to being a low profiles, but this in not really a LR RRS problem, in my opinion, I mean ownership of a vehicle will come with tire bill, the fancier - the higher, usually.
    -Suspension issue, please provide the error, may be someone has an advise or solution to a similar code. Last time I had suspension code, it was a broken wire to left rear strut which my LR Specialist who is also a Forman of a mechanic shop at LR Dealer, fixed in 15 min. But generally, front Airstruts are 500 each, rears are 700 each, compressor is about 600-700, replacing each item is about an hour, even at 100/hr, does that code mean that you have to replace everything at once? That would be very odd, honestly.
    Other things I have no experience with but agree that having that many is.... a little disappointing. I too, had a radio freezing issue and update solved it, beyond that, I haven't had that many, lets say, miscellaneous issues with my previous '09 and current '13 RRS SC. How many miles is on you truck? but, nuuh, mileage should be irrelevant to armrest, loose window connector, cameras etc.
    2013 RRS SC, Fuji White with Almond/Mocha int. 80K ml

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. To Upgrade or not to Upgrade, that is the Question
    By Alboogie7 in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM
  2. Another stupid Nav upgrade question
    By NickHowe in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 7th, 2009, 02:07 AM
  3. Wheel Upgrade Question for folks
    By Cre8vtv in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
  4. Newbie Question... Nav Upgrade for 03
    By crsmax in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
  5. Australian Spec Sat nav upgrade question
    By HSE2 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 8th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0