Aftermarket brakes.. are they OK?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket brakes.. are they OK?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Aftermarket brakes.. are they OK?

So my 2012 Supercharged RRS needs new rotors/pads all around. My local JLR dealer wants a laughable $2.5k.
    I figured I could do it for MUCH cheaper but was surprised to find that just the OEM parts kit from Atlantic British is $1150
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8841G

There are plenty of non-oem kits around. Here's one for $402.
    https://www.amazon.com/PowerSport-Dr.../dp/B017WQ77GY

Does anyone have any experience with non-oem brakes like these? I'm worried that there must be some reason (beyond opportunism) that there is such a price difference. Reviews seem generally good but I've seen a very few bad reviews on some of the cheaper kits that talk about rotors warping etc. Are there known brands to avoid? How can I get this done with peace of mind but also not paying thousands?

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Aftermarket brakes.. are they OK?

I am not a fan of the factory brake pads and only use Porterfield RS-4 pads. They last way longer that stock and holds better as well. I do however use the original rotors and sensors which I source from AB/EBay/Amazon, whoever has it cheaper when I’m buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the factory brake pads and only use Porterfield RS-4 pads. They last way longer that stock and holds better as well. I do however use the original rotors and sensors which I source from AB/EBay/Amazon, whoever has it cheaper when I’m buying. The even better thing about the porterfields is the fact that they extremely low dust.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

What makes you say it needs new rotors? I went with the EBC "Green Stuff" pads from Amazon and re-used everything else. They are quiet, put out less dust, stop great and came with this nifty abrasive coating that scuffed the rotor surface up for a better bed-in cycle. Been on for 8 months, really working great.

I was tempted to try ebc green or yellow but went back with porterfields. Just bought a set last week, being delivered on Thursday so I already know what I’m doing on Saturday.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Textar 2465901 2508501 or Jurid 573343j 573342j and are what i use for pads. For rotors i almost always use Textar high carbon coated rotors HH21154 and HH21153. I have put them on hundreds of cars including my own without issue or complaint.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I used Delphi in my 2013 RRS SC, absolutely no difference VS OEM in stopping and pedal feel, and just as squeaky under light touch so annoying, not even funny, but squealing was carried over. My friendly LR tech says that BREMBOs do tend to be squeelly but here comes the spring - means open windows. If anyone knows the cure, please chip in.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors with upgraded aftermarket, $430 for the whole set including sensor and did it myself, went with drilled rotors to aid cooling as the factory brakes seem to get soft to me. Did mine over a year ago with no issues. Dealer wanted $1300+ which is a joke

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Do it yourself for somewhere between $150 to $450, depending on whether you really need new rotors. How many miles? I used TRW pads on my 08 with Brembos. Easy job. Take your time. Hardest part is replacing the wear sensors.
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Just remember - LandRover does not make brake discs o r pads - so they are getting "OEM" from Textar or some major vendor like that. I used EBC with no issues , but the stop tech stuff squeals . Maybe that was just a 1 off issue - but personally I would go with one of the typical OE suppliers iike Pagid (I believe Textar an d Jurid are from the same parent co Hella. ) Good pads and rotors at less than OEM price. Check rock auto .

I believe that Textar makes rotors for Brembo and Jurid makes pads for Land Rover
    2012 TDV8 Black Edition

Porterfields just showed up. Changing them tomorrow.

FRESHMAN ROVER

So does anyone have any good or bad experience specifically around PowerSport Brakes?
    I'm still thinking about getting this: https://www.amazon.com/PowerSport-Dr.../dp/B017WQ77GY

FRESHMAN ROVER

Does your RRS not have the Brembo package? I have a 2012 RRS GT Limited Edition and use Ferodo pads with Eurostar rotors. Absolutlely fantastic combination. Stops on a dime. Rock Auto has a great selection and really reasonable prices!
    2012 Range Rover Sport GT Limited Edition

New brakes and rotors installed all around. Decided to put back on my summer 22” Kahn wheels as well.

Aftermarket brakes.. are they OK?-57506737015__f6b4be28-a7b2-405d-b809-07822b7d576d.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now