The saga of the copart range rover sport
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The saga of the copart range rover sport

The saga of the copart range rover sport

Hi,

Sharing this story as I think you may find it entertaining to follow along. My brother and I are amateur Land Rover enthusiasts. We've rebuilt two classics now, owned two LR3s, and a 2012 LR4. But this could be our biggest adventure yet...

Recently, after watching a few too many YouTube videos to work up the confidence, we acquired a 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (heck yes!) from Copart. 78K miles, used to be a fleet vehicle, very clean inside and out. Except for one problem: the car didn't start. No crank, no sounds, nothing.

We brought it back to the shop, and found a dead starter motor hanging by the leads. Ok... new starter acquired, fuses replaced, and then a nice big "WHIRRR" and nothing: the engine must be seized. Wedging a prybar into the starter hole and attempting to turn the motor by engaging the ring gear directly yielded nothing either.

So we then removed the coil packs, and the spark plugs. On the last plug of the passenger side back I think this is cylinder #8, the plug had a bit of resistance coming out. Then the horror: it was totally mangled (see picture). Something inside the engine obliterated that plug. That's not what you want to see. We could get a feeler stick about 24 inches into the spark plug hole of that cylinder too, so maybe the piston has been compromised.

We continue the disassembly. We have to figure out how to get the body off the frame in our home garage, and then take apart the engine to see how bad the damage is. Best case it's a valve job or a new head. Worst case this is a really expensive paperweight.

Any guesses? Big thanks to AnvilRob for his guidance thus far.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; February 12th, 2019 at 05:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: The saga of the copart range rover sport

Aaand I can't submit any images. Any guidance here? I click on the "Manage attachments" and it just takes me to a blank screen. Using imgur link for now, but please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/8FPeACU

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thats awsome. Im following this for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Pictures kinda look like something may have gotten ingested through the intake. Such as a supercharger gear or something. Did you try rotating the engine counter clockwise? If there is something wedged up against the Piston and cylinder head it won't rotate clockwise but you may be able to rotate it backwards. Any way I'd guess you're looking at at least a new Piston and a cylinder head on that sideand at worst case a new long block assembly. I would also remove the belt and rotate that supercharger to see if it may have been the culprit. Btw how is the process of buying a vehicle from copart?
    Last edited by RRToadHall; February 11th, 2019 at 09:59 PM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

x2 with copart experience, saw an '05 l322 on there go for $1,200 the other day, very tempting but want to know the hurdles. Thx

Thanks for the tips! We did not try rotating it counter clockwise, but we'll give that a shot this weekend. Will take some more pics too when we get into her.

On the subject of Copart- not a terrible experience. I had my eye on this truck for a while. Had to buy through a broker website because of Mass state laws. Thankfully that only added about $200 of fees. It was really straightforward otherwise (similar to eBay). The funniest part was shipping it: the driver that the brokerage engaged saw the listing online and refused to pick it up because he was convinced "the info screen is off, so the transmission must be locked." My brother and I went out there a jump pack and turned it on, got it in neutral, and then called AAA to tow it off. Watching those guys on the front loaders play Car Jenga is pretty neat too. Overall decent experience to find project cars.
    1995 Range Rover County SWB (sold)
    1995 Range Rover County LWB
    2005 Land Rover LR3 (sold)
    2011 Range Rover Sport S/C

Sweet! Been checking out their website lately. Looking for a parts car for mine and also one for my wife's Audi Q7
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 18th, 2019 at 09:53 PM.

Can't wait to see more pics of the beast as you get into it. I'll help if I can though.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I know mass can be confusing about registering and certifying a salvaged car but what was it that didnt allow you to buy directly from them? Just curious...
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    I know mass can be confusing about registering and certifying a salvaged car but what was it that didnt allow you to buy directly from them? Just curious...
    some states dont allow public to buy salvage titled vehicles via auction. Gotta be a broker or dealer. That’s when you pay fees to a broker to use their account to bid.
    2005 RR HSE 4.4 Java Black
    2004 RR HSE 4.4 Zambezi Silver

Interestingly enough it has a clear title, no salvage brands. The rules still applied though

Update!

The Amazon boroscope/endoscope worked beautifully. We could see straight down the spark plug hole and into the cylinders. Provided a great view of the total destruction within cylinder 7. Ahh so that’s what was locking the engine! Cylinder 5 too had some scoring, like it too had touched a valve. We’re totally speculating here but a lean condition could have caused the 7 piston to cook apart and bang into the valvetrain, and then timing jumped and 5 met its valves too. Either way that looks like a total loss to me.

That means we need to take the body off, and source a long block. Step 1 was cheaper and easier, so we started there. A trip to the local big box lumber yard later, we had 40 2x4’s which we cut into 16” jenga blocks. After a few hours of disconnecting all the wiring harnesses, we started jacking up the body with our floorjack and building jenga towers of cribbing to support the body. The first few layers were slow progress as we had to frantically check all the creaking noises and search for any wires we missed, but we got into a good rhythm soon enough. The steering shaft was disconnected at both ends, but didn’t separate at either- instead it decided to pull apart in the middle. Bummer. Will get a new one..

The other challenge came at the end. To support the body more permanently, we added beams to the jenga towers. The front was easy: lift the nose of the body and slide two 2x4’s under. The rear was considerably harder. After some trial and error we settled on the following approach: 5 2x4’s laminated together passed under the body mounts in the wheel arches. Hi- lift jacks (“ca-chunka-chunks”) to lift the beam simultaneously, then slide the two cribbing towers out and away from the body and under the beam, to allow the wheels to roll forward.

Then, she was free! We rolled the undercarriage out and took a lot of pictures. Can’t believe that worked. Getting it back on will be interesting. Next up: sourcing a new engine and installing it.

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/gallery/GFuB0hv

We have an engine now! Found a local shop who had an extra Jaguar 5.0 Supercharged engine out of a XKR. He was incredibly nice. Took us through all the details of assembly and timing. Everything is labeled and bagged (great practice to follow). We'll start the swap this weekend.

The saga of the copart range rover sport-complete-engine.jpg
    The saga of the copart range rover sport-camphasers.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

awesome man!

OK - lots of updates here! Have been a little busy.

Firstly, we timed the new engine on the bench. If you can, I highly recommend this approach to timing it with it still in the car.

Secondly, a gratuitous picture of our garage that night - a lot of projects going on!

The saga of the copart range rover sport-timing_new_engine.jpgThe saga of the copart range rover sport-timing_marks_1.jpgThe saga of the copart range rover sport-timing_marks_2.jpgThe saga of the copart range rover sport-look_garage.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now