(link) Grinding/Chirp/Pump Noise Coming from Passenger Rear
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (link) Grinding/Chirp/Pump Noise Coming from Passenger Rear

FRESHMAN ROVER

Angry (link) Grinding/Chirp/Pump Noise Coming from Passenger Rear

Hey everyone! I'm new here. Own a 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE and I've had this odd noise coming from the passenger rear. It sounds like a chirping or pumping sound accompanied by grinding on occasion. Sometimes it's more prominent than others, sometimes I can feel the grinding underneath my feet, sometimes it doesn't do it all. The type of road, speed, or terrain doesn't matter. There is no pattern to it. This off brand Rover shop can't seem to find the issue as it wouldn't duplicate in person 3 days in a row and I'm hesitant to take to the dealer for the same reason. Any help? Link below for video, please watch whole thing - multiple times, same noise, only 1 minute.

Last edited by dakotawright; January 28th, 2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add link

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: (link) Grinding/Chirp/Pump Noise Coming from Passenger R

have you visually inspected under the truck? you may have a worn rear prop shaft center bearing that has disintegrated rubber diaphragm.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by MI2VA View Post
    have you visually inspected under the truck? you may have a worn rear prop shaft center bearing that has disintegrated rubber diaphragm.
    Thanks for your advice. Yes I have. Nothing noticeable. I’ve taken it to the dealership. They said they weren’t able to hear it on the video (clearly you can) and they couldn’t duplicate it. I’m pulling my hair out over this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

HMM, the only thing I can think of would be the ABS/DSC kicking in on one of the passenger side tires. Try turning DSC off and see if you still have the noise. You may also want to invest in a GAP IID tool or similar that can read land rover codes to see if you have any pending issues.

EDIT: I use a GoPro on a magnetic mount to capture issues under the vehicle as well.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by MI2VA View Post
    HMM, the only thing I can think of would be the ABS/DSC kicking in on one of the passenger side tires. Try turning DSC off and see if you still have the noise. You may also want to invest in a GAP IID tool or similar that can read land rover codes to see if you have any pending issues.

EDIT: I use a GoPro on a magnetic mount to capture issues under the vehicle as well.
    That’s what I was thinking but turning it off doesn’t make a difference. The off brand shop I’m taking it to is going to do multiple tests with more than one set of chassis ears hoping to find the issue. Thanks for your help and input!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I cant really tell from the video but if you bought the car recently i would inspect the rear drive shaft. The front boot is prone to tearing and leaking its grease out, the rear Ujoint i have seen binding and also the center support bushing goes bad. When I bought mine they had cleaned under the car so i didnt catch it. They had actually removed and cleaned the grease out of the front CV joint so you would not see the leak. It started making a clattering squeaking noise. I replaced the CV with a new boot and all is good in the world again. (BTW the driveshaft is only available as a whole assy if that ends up being the issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now