Would You "Self-Insure" for Warranty on a 2013 HSE?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would You "Self-Insure" for Warranty on a 2013 HSE?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Would You "Self-Insure" for Warranty on a 2013 HSE?

Greetings,

I am in the process of buying a 2013 RRS HSE LUX with 33k miles on it.

It is a Certified vehicle, however, the warranty expires in late February, 2019 (Apparently it was a 6 yr cpo warranty).

I touched base with LR USA and they advised that the vehicle has just had regular standard servicing and very little for warranty issues.

I am wondering if it is wise to just go without warranty after March and maintain it as required.

I have a 2006 Porsche 911 that I purchased in 2008 and has been out of warranty since 2010--very few issues in the last 8 years--contrary to what everyone had suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Would You "Self-Insure" for Warranty on a 2013 HSE?

In August of '17 I bought my '13 HSE Luxury with 39K on the clock. At the time of purchase the salesman floated the idea of buying a warranty so I asked for a price. The answer came back at $7700. I soiled myself and politely declined the coverage. It should be noted that my RRS wasn't purchased from a LR dealer nor was it a certified vehicle however, it did show evidence of having been well maintained mechanically. I've now reached 46K with no issues. Granted, that isn't much mileage over 14 months but my RRS has gone through a thorough inspection by the local LR dealer who went through it and came back with minimal recommendations for routine service.
    2013 RR Sport HSE Luxury, Nara Bronze
    BMW & Ducati motorcycles
    1999 Disco II, gone but not forgotten

It is hit and miss. On the positive side the 13's were end of the run for the L320. Any bugs since the that generation was was introduced in 2010 were a distant memory. At only 33K miles, you can tuck away a bit each month for maintenance items and wear items and have a nest egg in case you need front brake pads. It also means getting up to speed on things that can be done DIY, and perhaps an IIDtool from Gap for diagnostics.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Given how expensive warranties are for these vehicles now, I'd personally risk it. Especially on a '13. I'm just planning on changing my oil every 5k in hopes to avoid the timing chain issue in my '11. That said, I'll probably have to do it eventually. It'll be a full front end re-build including the cooling system, super charger and likely cost ~$7k. Basically, I'll do everything when I'm in there. If it happens.

In my ~11 months of ownership, I have had the following done:

@ 37k (when I bought the vehicle)
    - Replaced rear brakes @ 37k (they were original) with OEM @ Land Rover Denver. $950.

@ 42k
    - Replaced rear roof spoiler @ 42k (it fell off -- culprit was likely the glue failing/automated car washes by PO). OEM @ Land Rover Tucson (N. Scottsdale was too expensive). $1500 including paint from my friend's body shop.

@ 45k
    - Did 45k service. $875. Land Rover N. Scottsdale.
    - Replaced front air strut (it was making squeaking sounds going over bumps. was not entirely shot but replaced to be safe). Front right strut was already replaced at 26k in Apr '17. $1300. Rover Techs.
    - Replaced battery w/ new AGM. $175. Myself.
    - Replaced front brakes (they were garbage aftermarket, squealed and caused vibration when braking). $1100.
    - Replaced front lower control arms (they were worn and starting to get noisy; was noted on the PPI @ 37k miles to be replaced near 50k). ($1700 incl. arms, alignment, another oil change, rod install). All Rover Techs.
    - Oil Change (since I don't trust that N. Scottsdale did it since the oil service indicator was not reset).
    - Alignment
    - Rods & IID tool ($650).
    - BFGoodrich KO2 @ 275/55R20 (8 ply). ($1150 including warranties from Discount Tire).

The only thing that would have been covered under a warranty would have been the air strut (the spoiler was a body part and thus would not have been covered). And honestly, after the vehicle was in Florida and Arizona for most of it's life, I'm not surprised the seals failed after 8 years. Wasn't a mileage thing in my opinion.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I had an 02 911 - very little issues all
    the way to 83k miles and 15 years !

My 06 hse has also had few major issues - maybe more service items like worn shocks and lower control arms - but diy makes things much cheaper - brakes for example are easy - and can be done for much , much less than the prices quoted above - for example I did front rotors and pads with pagid parts for < 250.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now