Newbie Intro - 3 Questions
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Intro - 3 Questions

FRESHMAN ROVER

Newbie Intro - 3 Questions

Hi All .... just bought a 2011 RRS Lux after creating a high performance sleeper truck out of my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD that I bought new & just gave it to my daughter for her 16th birthday. Thought it would be a good first vehicle for her and she is a ski instructor going up in the mountains outside Seattle so AWD is safer. As to forums I live and die by member ideas and lessons and am currently at page 50 on this site so 10% of the way there !!! Enough about me on to the questions ....

1) Timing Chain - I had the truck "inspected" in Portland at Columbia Rover and specifically asked them about the timing chain guides as you all said it was just a matter of "when" they will go out. Drove it up to Seattle and heard the tick so took it in and now a $5.2 k bill. The dealer down there tossed me $2k back so when it happened is not the best but a planned expense. The question is do you replace the water pump at the same time (I know it was a problem child with the RRS Supercharged) but surprised it wasn't on my estimate as they only replace just the seals ?

2) Apple Car Play - there is a detailed post on this but no one responded as the only thing I could find was on the Bovee bluetooth. They want $500 here to update to a 2014 map so didn't make much sense as I can hard wire in a Garmin / use google maps on my phone. Sidebar how do you mount your phone / any navigation head unit replacement threads ?

3) Read This First - I can't get any of the links to work and have tried different browsers etc. I am a high tech guy so I always read / search what's posted before posting myself so not sure what's going on.

I appreciate you all's knowledge / patience in reading a very long first post and hopefully my dream truck will be done in a week as I only drove it up here and straight to the shop.

Thanks,
    Jim Z.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: Newbie Intro - 3 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by movnup View Post
    3) Read This First - I can't get any of the links to work and have tried different browsers etc. I am a high tech guy so I always read / search what's posted before posting myself so not sure what's going on.
    welcome to the forums. our admins do the thankless job at maintaining this mad house, but the FAQ links are from the original forum and suffered the fate of the upgrade. you'll see links to static html pages on this site that still work, but most of the links to old forum posts are to the previous forum. for example:

old RRS index was https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5
    current LT230 (there was only a single RRS forum back then) is https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...er-sport-l320/

the content is still here, but you'll have to search using the FAQ text.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

YES... do the water pump NOW. It will start to leak at the most inopportune time and could cost you an engine. Very small insurance policy. You may also want to verify via carfax or maybe the dealership where it was regularly serviced to see if it has been replaced already.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by movnup View Post
    Apparently no body has reported this to the mod team or in the site issue section. IT can resolve this issue in a matter of minutes once they know about it. I've gone through the first half of the links and most of them open but a few open to blank pages. IT will most likely address this tomorrow when they are back in.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks to the replies so far ... I ran the carfax / checked with Portland LR on service records / had an independent inspection done so thought I covered my bases as well as possible. They all said this was a well maintained truck so in some ways maybe I was lucky that it went out on a 200 mile drive and part of it was paid for now vs me later. I also have never heard of not doing the water pump at the same time so for $300 I agree it is very cheap insurance!

PS - I used to live in Roanoke / loved that city and still miss Smith Mountain Lake and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hooray! I saw this a month and just assumed yall are overworked and have backed up tickets (used archive.org to view the old snapshot which redirects correctly to the new url).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now