LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND

FRESHMAN ROVER

LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND

First of all hello to everyone reading this post... I'm hoping it will be of great help if you were wishing our 2010 Range Rover's Sport would have had the Headlight LED lights as DRL (Daytime Running Lights)... Guess what? is not hard to do at all and finally you can do it by yourself THANKS TO AwfAxis.. The ORIGINAL proyect came from him and some help i got from him is making this possible.. Since he's got no time to really post a Step By Step on How To Do It, I did it by myself with some modifications to the original idea..

I'll post some words from he's POST with some corrections i made that are in RED COLOR.

(FROM AwfAxis Original Post):

By using two diodes (per headlight) ((He means 1 for each NOT 2 per EACH.. Don't get confused here, I prevent each side from seeing the other wire as HOT when only one of two power sources is on. Diodes allow current to flow in 1 direction, like a water check-valve. Therefore, each power source (accessories which I am rigging up), and the regular source (headlight switch), will both have a diode inline going toward the headlights.

I join the two power leads between the headlight and the two diodes. If I power the Accessories lead, the voltage will not flow back into the headlight switch circuit, preventing the tail-lights and license plate lights from activating. Likewise, the headlight switch being turned on while the vehicle is OFF, won't power up the accessories circuit, which could very well be things like the CIG lighter or some other unexpected thing.Actually i checked all possibilities on this part and i still get the LICENSE PLATE & TAIL LIGHTS TO ALSO LIGHT UP.. Actually is not that of a big deal knowing that the Tail Lights and License Plate Lights are LED so trust me is NOT AN ISSUE.. HE STATES THAT TO NOT LIGHT UP THE TAIL LIGHTS A LOT OF TESTING IS NECESSARY.. Too much wires on the connector and it can take way lot's of time to find out and MAYBE NOT FIND ANYTHING... My theory testing was that i could not find a way to avoid this... As i said.. IS NOT AN ISSUE

So in theory, the load should be similar to using a relay, but the diodes are easier to hide from service techs.

The original plan involves something like this Sketch i made imagining what AwfAxis Suggest:
    [attachment=4:1z34m9rz]IMG_0130.jpg[/attachment:1z34m9rz]

Now this is what i had in mind.. you can make it better... a friend of mine did it fast fot me.. the fuse was suppose to be small so practically it will be cosmetically invisible... Your choice.. anyways mine i think was ok..

Here is what my friend soldered for me based on what i gave him since i could not do it because of work:
    [attachment=3:1z34m9rz]IMG_0124.jpg[/attachment:1z34m9rz]

As you can see the Fuse is fixed to the board soldered to the Diodes and the Diodes to the Cable Connector as seen in this other picture:
    [attachment=2:1z34m9rz]IMG_0128.jpg[/attachment:1z34m9rz]

More photos for you guys to have an idea:
    [attachment=1:1z34m9rz]IMG_0122.jpg[/attachment:1z34m9rz]

Now when you go to the second picture (IMG_0124) you can see on the connector 2 black cables... Make sure those are Gauge 10 or 12 Cable..

Next picture will show you to which PIN (#2) From Left To Right and CHECK THE ORIENTATION IN WHICH I HAVE THE PLUG SO YOU DON'T PEEL THE WRONG CABLE... Splice the first cable to it and put electrical tape (I added lead to it and then i put the tape on top.. Double Precaution).. Repeat for the other connector having the plug oriented in the same direction:
    [attachment=0:1z34m9rz]IMG_0110.jpg[/attachment:1z34m9rz]

Remember to identify the PIN and the cable corresponding to it... It's the cable you're going to make the splice to..

That's All that i did... To hide the cable i went behind the battery box there the edge of the box has a foam and guided it to the driver side headlight along with the washer fluid line... Then through the other box.. open it and you should see some clips on the side that are holding nothing and the 12 gauge cable can be hold by those.. continue guiding it until the driver side headlight plug and do the same as on the picture above...

PS: Remember that to to this you need to remove your grill and headlights... Grill removal can be found in the manual same as headlight.. Headlight is easy just 2 tabs on the corner that you need to pull up.. Work time is around 20 min..

Hope i was of any help.. i there is something you don't understand feel free to ask.. Later I'll cover a mod i did to my exhaust on a video and the sound is INCREDIBLE! by just removing 1 silencer... Cya Guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0130.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0124.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0128.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0122.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0110.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND

Sorry since i can only upload 5 pictures here is the power sources you should look for.. either one should do... also some pictures to show where i guided my cables.. Thanks

Power Source can be 1 of the 2 cables.. the White With Green Stripe or the other one.. you choose...
    [attachment=0:tsmzusbz]Mod a los led 1.jpg[/attachment:tsmzusbz]

Next pictures are the places i guided the longer cable which is going to be the one to the driver side headlight:

[attachment=4:tsmzusbz]IMG_0112.jpg[/attachment:tsmzusbz]
    [attachment=3:tsmzusbz]IMG_0106.jpg[/attachment:tsmzusbz]
    [attachment=2:tsmzusbz]IMG_0114.jpg[/attachment:tsmzusbz]
    [attachment=1:tsmzusbz]IMG_0116.jpg[/attachment:tsmzusbz]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0112.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0106.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0114.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-img_0116.jpg   LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-mod-los-led-1.jpg  

AmableMiguel,

Regarding the other lights (tail and license) getting power, the diode at the headlight assembly is inserted between the factory wire, and headlight plug. Then, the NEW power source is tapped in between the diode and headlight. This way, power does not flow BACK to the tail lights.

The 3rd diode is placed between the LEDs and the new power source (battery), preventing power from coming back to the battery source when the factory LED power is on.

This isolates both sources of power from one another. I guess if you don't mind the other lights coming on, no worries. My feeling is that the power source is on anyway, so the feedback from the factory LED power is of no concern.

Cheers!

2011 Range Rover Sport GT LE
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4 ECB (Yee-Haw)
    2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I c.. Inserted BETWEEN.. AwfAxis send me a picture of that if you have time and thanks for all the help.. I hope u read the post since all the credit still goes to you since is your project.. I just extended it hope u liked it.. Send me the picture to fix that part

Here's a hand drawing. Hope it makes sense. You must isolate the feedback from the new power source so it doesn't light up the rear.

[attachment=0:29iu5po9]Diagram.JPG[/attachment:29iu5po9]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED as DRL (HOW TO, TOOLS) THANKS TO AwfAxis & A FRIEND-diagram.jpg  

2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

Great write-up guys; one of the best I've seen. Unfortunately, I have a 2006 (but I am adding UHP LED Halos to the headlights). I am going to have to figure out how to ring the halos, and I'd love to have them used as DRLs as well. I wonder if anyone knows if there are substantial differences in the wiring needs for this between the 2010 and earlier models?

'06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great thanks guys..going to try this next weekend on my 2011 HSE.

Quick question. After looking at all the info, I am assuming it is okay to splice into the power source you identified, insert an inline 5am fuse there with a single 3am diode...and run a single power line along the passenger side to front. Splice a Y into that line and run it to both lights with the diode on each connection (upstream to avoid lighting the plate and rear).

What I am trying to accomplish is not having to run a line from the power source along both sides of the engine compartment...seems like it would be easier to just run along the front from Passenger to Driver side....

Appreciate your help.
    2011 RRS HSE Lux
    Previously had a 2008 RRS HSE

I ran a wire from Battery to 1st connection on passenger side, and continued to the driver side headlight along the existing wire harness that runs over the radiator.

In my paper diagram, it may look like (by the numbered diodes) that I did it differently, but not the case.

2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok, got all the parts... only question is about the diodes. Went to RS and they only had Rectifier Diodes (3 amp - 200PIV). They look similar to those in the pic...just not sure about the rectifier part (doesnt that convert the current?).

Also, the silver ring is on the downstream 12v side (out direction) ..correct?

Thanks again.
    2011 RRS HSE Lux

FRESHMAN ROVER

Can you please post pics of the DRL running as intended?

Quote Originally Posted by standows
    Can you please post pics of the DRL running as intended?
    DRL standards are market specific. Which market are you looking for a picture of?
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm curious about US but, wouldn't mind seeing Euro's to see the difference.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just completed DRL mod, works great! Thanks
    2011 RRS HSE Lux

DRLs are not required in the US so there is no "intended" setting.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rrtoadhall
    DRLs are not required in the US so there is no "intended" setting.
    OK, just Euros then please. I'm curious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now