Offroading with "all-season" tires
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Offroading with "all-season" tires

FRESHMAN ROVER

Offroading with "all-season" tires

I'm hoping someone might be able to provide a recommendation.

I'm planning on making my first trip to CO in my new (to me) 06 RRS HSE. When I got the truck it came with 4 practically new Yoko YK520 255/50/R19 tires. They are pretty nice on the road, and they have a 60,000 mile warranty, so I am not planning on doing a wholesale swap just for this trip.

I'm wondering if these tires http://www.discounttire.com/infoyokoham ... yk520.html would be sufficient for a newbie trip?

I'm planning on going to Mosquito Pass, and some other easy trails around the area while i'm out there. I will also be going at the beginning of November, so I'm not sure how much snow will be out there either.

Can someone who has done these trails tell me if I will be ok? Or should I target some other trails? I've read a lot of the threads on the tire topic, and the trail topic, but I can't really find an answer as to whether or not these all-season tires will be enough.

Also, what about "air-down". What should I air them down to, if at all?

And this may seem like a easy question, but when you get off the trail, how should I air them back up? Is there a way to tap into the compressor to use it for tire inflation?

Thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Offroading with "all-season" tires

Mosquito Pass, November, All season tires?

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Luckily for you, Mosquito and most other high altitude passes in the area will likely be closed for snow come November... You'd be crazy to undertake those steep, rocky in places, and potentially slippery trails with anything less than all-terrain tires and a full size spare to match, with or without snow. And you shouldn't go alone if you are new to off-roading. Get some proper shoes on your Sport first and then we can talk about portable compressors and air tanks to inflate your tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Mosquito Pass is over 13000 feet and the trip to London Mines is a great drive. I seriously doubt you are goinna get anywhere near it in November however. You might give the Leadville Ranger Station a call (if still operational) and see what their general closure schedule is.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I hear you all loud and clear.

I'm just itching to get this off road and see some scenery, and have the time off to do it.

Maybe something a little less optimistic for the first run. Maybe New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Big Bend? Anyone with experience in these locations?

I'm not looking for intense rock climbing, just some nice trails, test it a little bit, and have fun. I'd also take suggestions on a good every day tire that could also handle something like Mosquito Pass in the summer time.

I have 19 inch wheels, so I take it my options are limited, but it might be a good time to sell these and rims for 18s?

To start, do you have to go that far away--sounds like you are in N. TX. They should have some dirt roads in various states of repair nearby, or no? If yes, keep your street tires on for now and explore some of the stuff off the beaten track in your area. Concentrate on improving your driving skills and if you go during wetter weather you can further challenge yourself. Plus if you get in trouble you're only a phone call away. Also, check with your local dealership and see if they have any scheduled group events.

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The local dealers here in our area hold off road rallys all the time. I would do as goosey suggested and check for local dealer events. There are also lost of small LR/RR/Jeep clubs that do off road drives too.

Good luck!

FRESHMAN ROVER

After careful (read: a few beers) we have decided on New Mexico and the following trails

http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Me ... el_Rio.htm
    http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Me ... Bajada.htm
    http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Me ... _Flats.htm
    and maybe
    http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Me ... entana.htm

I'm sure there are some places close to home, but TX is really not that cool.

We are going to give it a shot on the "all-season" tires and see how it turns out. Worst case, spend a few nights in Santa Fe which isn't a bad place to be.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Unless you're strictly on sand or something of the sort, at stock or near stock sizes, you likely not want to air down; it'll just be easier for the bead to pop off. Have fun!

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Aye carumba! You are one determined dude.

So, help me/us out here on a bit of background (cause I'm getting a "yes" vibe on the first two and a "no" vibe on the 3rd):

1. This is your first time offroad?
    2. You are doing this solo--I mean there is no one going along in another 4x4 with you?
    3. You have all the ancillary equipment you need (recovery strap, full size spare with appropriate jack, etc.) and you know how to use them?

I know nothing about the terrain out there being from the EC and maybe they're just pretty dirt roads (though 4 hrs to do 15mi kinda tells me they're not). But I will point out, if you hadn't noticed, that the guy writing all this has a Jeep with 33" M/T tires and a lift kit and God knows what else tucked in that thing. What might be "easy" with that set up could be a rim crunching/tire slashing experience in your RRS.

Maybe someone here who knows those trails can help you out and vouch for the "easy" designation...and please listen to them if they say don't do it.

And if they say it's OK, be safe and have fun.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah, probably just a little determined

Really just want to get out of TX for a few days... Even if it means just driving to Santa Fe and hanging out for a few days. Maybe talk to some locals and find some easy dirt roads (notice the absence of "off roading")

So are 18s the way to go? Found a nice set on craigslist for $400... Seems like a good deal, just need to load them up with some shoes

Yes, 18's are best.

I hope you don't take it that I want to discourage you, I just want to make sure you don't get over your head the first time out. IMO its best to start slowly and follow along with some folks who know what they're doing.
    The rocks and gullies are always bigger, and the trail steeper when you're in the middle of it, than it looks from below. If you've ever been skiing you know what I mean.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Goosey.

btw, I don't get discouraged easily

I'm assuming since you posted in the CO trail thread you also viewed the trail thread I linked to. I'm not sure what would be open in November but here's the trail list for the Leadville area - from Solihull Society's 2009 LRNR - thank you. (If you would like it taken down just say the word.) www.landrovernationalrally.com

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now