DVD Player not playing DVD? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: DVD Player not playing DVD?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: DVD Player not playing DVD?

Also, for those asking about the eject button not working - if the unit is "busy", (e.g. trying and re-trying to read a disc), the button may be ignored or it may take a *very* long time as it waits until the current task is done, which may never happen if the unit is bollixed in some other way.

However, if the unit is even halfway functional, you can press and hold the eject button for 5 seconds or so which tells the unit, in essence, "gimme it anyway!"

There's a few possible outcomes then depending on what problems the unit is having, as follows:
    - nothing
    - you get the cartridge with all discs
    - you get the cartridge minus the one which was selected and you'll probably have to disassemble the unit to retrieve the missing disc

The first case means either an electronics issue or a major mechanical issue (i.e. something overtly broken, dislodged, unplugged, fried etc)
    The middle case means that the "big" mechanical bits are probably okay and probably the electronics as well, you likely just have a stuck head, dirty lens etc
    The last case is indeterminate but leans more towards a mechanical issue of some kind

First and last obviously require disassembly/repair or replacement. The middle may just need a cleaning disc.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I have a 55 plate Range Rover sport with rear entertainment system. When I bought the car which was nearly two years ago now the DVDs do not play the screens just say no disc. My daughter gave me a disc to clean it but it was for CDs and the sound works but still says no disc. I was wondering if anyone could help. I've taken it to an audio electricians who just wanted to replace the head rests with screens and put a new DVD player in. I don't really want to do this and someone else has recommended going to a Land Rover dealer but I thought this would be expensive and they may say to replace the system which will be very expensive.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    My daughter gave me a disc to clean it but it was for CDs and the sound works but still says no disc.
    CDs and DVDs use different wavelengths so there's usually two different read heads in the unit. The unused head should remain "parked" when not in use so a CD-type cleaning disc probably wouldn't have gotten to the DVD head. However, the fact that it works for audio CDs now means the mechanicals are probably all good, (DVD head mechanism itself being the only possible exception), so go spend a couple dollars on eBay for a DVD cleaning disc and you might be fine!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by d00d View Post
    CDs and DVDs use different wavelengths so there's usually two different read heads in the unit. The unused head should remain "parked" when not in use so a CD-type cleaning disc probably wouldn't have gotten to the DVD head.
    Quite the contrary, the pickup/lens unit is exactly the same for DVD and CD. The laser is modulated differently. Only the BR/HD-DVD pickup/lens units in BluRay players use a different lens, it is still fixed to the same diagonal arm. A cleaning CD should work. Ref: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Internals.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Um, no, not really. They use different wavelengths, 650nm & 780nm, you can't get two different wavelengths from the same element (special-case lab equipment doesn't apply here.
    There are head assemblies which have two laser elements, and fancy prisms to let them use the same set of lenses, but that's just a way to mechanically combine what is still two different heads. Those tend to be used in lower quality players, (such as the one linked to), and that may apply for Rovers as well, (haven't opened one up), in which case, yes, the single disc cleaner would be adequate. But higher end players still use separate heads, and sometimes even multiples of those, in either which case the original statement very much applies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now