DVD Player not playing DVD? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DVD Player not playing DVD?

Re: DVD Player not playing DVD?

Hi all

I am a newbie on this site and have exactly the same prob on my late 2006 RRS s/c the Alpine DVD player will play certain discs inc audio cds but will not play certain discs even though they have been purchased from legit suppliers.
    When the discs are loaded the player goes through its cycle and it shows that all discs are loaded, but instead of playing it will just skip along to one of the discs that will play!!
    I am confused because the symbols on the discs show the same reg 2 PAL but the symbols are slightly different in the fact that the ones that play have an oval globe with a 2 in the centre and the ones that dont play have like a grid with a 2 in the centre ?

Was ther a successful outcome to the previous problems on this thread? I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Two outcomes:
    1. Buy a new DVD player
    2. I use the aux port with an iPad... Not as integrated, but works.

I don't think anyone has been able to figure it out. I took mine to the dealer, and when I got it back they said I needed to replace it, and the tray would no longer eject. But then again, my dealer is shady and somewhat unqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit500 View Post
    Hi all

I am a newbie on this site and have exactly the same prob on my late 2006 RRS s/c the Alpine DVD player will play certain discs inc audio cds but will not play certain discs even though they have been purchased from legit suppliers.
    When the discs are loaded the player goes through its cycle and it shows that all discs are loaded, but instead of playing it will just skip along to one of the discs that will play!!
    I am confused because the symbols on the discs show the same reg 2 PAL but the symbols are slightly different in the fact that the ones that play have an oval globe with a 2 in the centre and the ones that dont play have like a grid with a 2 in the centre ?

Was ther a successful outcome to the previous problems on this thread? I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks
    For what it is worth I had what sounds like a similar issue on my 07 early on. Day one I could load it up with discs and all worked great. As a few months went on discs that played before began not to play at all or in a particular slot. That seemed to progress to a point where it would cycle through the tray sometimes finding a disc that would work depending on what slot it was in. My dealer replaced the changer and it worked like a champ from then on until the day I sold it.

I don't recall exactly why but while they had it in for that repair I needed to stop by the dealer to get something out of the RRS. They took me back into the shop to my RRS and I recall being amazed at how apart they had everything. There were so many wires exposed at different points. It makes me wonder if it might have been more than just the changer they swapped out. I'm not sure I still have the paperwork but I will take a quick peek and post what was done if I can find it.
    2013 BLK RRS Autobiography (Mine)
    2016 Infiniti QX80 (Hers)
    2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) (The Rock Crawling Toy)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

You guys all tried a cleaning disc first? As I mentioned before on another thread, I experienced the same problem about a year ago. It started with a couple of specific DVDs out of the 6 I had loaded, so initially I assumed it was the discs themselves that were damaged or somewhat incompatible. Sometimes the disc would play in one slot of the magazine and not in another, but eventually they all started skipping to the next one when I picked any of them for playback, in an endless loop.

I had to run a cleaning disc at least a dozen times before all discs resumed playing (I didn't buy the LR recommended one, I got a Maxell "CD-340" lens cleaner at a CVS pharmacy for 10 bucks or so. It's just a CD with some recorded instructions and a thin "blade" of soft bristles on its surface, that gently wipes the lens in the changer for 20 seconds or so and then stops.) I had almost given up on the disc until, after the third or fourth cleaning cycle, the changer finally stopped and started playing one of the discs that wasn't playing just a minute before, so I figured the cleaning disc was doing its job, just very slowly. Sure enough, it took several more passes of the cleaning disc but eventually all DVDs started working again. There's so much dust collecting in that well back there, don't discount the fact that your lens (and the discs themselves, but I am sure you have already cleaned those) may just be exceedingly dirty, nothing more.

For 10 bucks, it's worth a shot. Every 5 or 6 passes, you may want to remove the cleaning disc from the changer and wipe the bristles, if they are like mine they will have collected quite a bit of gunk on them. Then slide it back in and try another 5 or 6 cycles. Maxell says you shlouldn't use it more than 40 times, but if after a dozen tries you still get no improvement with any of the discs, I guess you are really SOL.

How did you unlock your dvd to play up front while car is moving?

Thanks
    Last edited by umbertob; August 19th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Personal contact info removed

Smile Re: DVD Player not playing DVD?

I had this problem with my 2007 RRS with the factory fit rear entertainment. The DVD changer would recognise it had disks but would only play audio CDs and a small number of DVDs with other DVDs saying [No Disc]. I tried two different lense cleaning disks with no joy.

In the end I took the side panel out of the boot (a large panel that includes the platic top vent panel with inside light and 2 other panels down to the rear footwell with 6+ clips - 3 at the rear and 3 down the seat back and down to the footwell - it is not just the carpet section!). I removed the DVD player from the car, opened up the casing and used a cotton bud to clean the lense directly. I took off two tiny specs of grit. I also cleaned the back of the plastic sliding door cover as this was weirdly filthy and used a can of air spray to get rid of all lose dirt in the unit and disk carrier. I put it all back together and can now play all of the DVDs that I have tried so far! Happy kids once again... (I took photos of the unit as I took the brackets off and the lid off as it is easy to forget where things went.) The DVD player comes apart quite easily but take extreem care. The lense can only just be accessed with a cotton bud through a slot in the top of the unit with the top lid removed. The top lid removes in a hinged action against the plastic front once the side clips have been released. All surprusingly easy but lots of care required! Good luck

Hi all,

not trying to insult anyone, but, sometimes, the obvious can be very deceiving. That happened to me too. I tried to load some DVD's, so I thought, and it says "NO DISCS". It took me a little over 30 minutes figuring it out, until my 10 year old son came and said to me, Dad, I didn't know that the player can play both DVD and Blu-Ray, then I felt so stupid.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I also had a similar problem on my 09 with rear entertainment. While parked the DVD would play on the front navigation screen but not at all on the rear headrests. Mine was still under warranty so i took it in and they simply did a software update to the entertainment system and they work like a charm now. Hope that helps.

-Mike
    07 IS350
    09 RRS HST //Santorini Black
    13 RRS SC //Indus Silver

Hello,
    I have a 2007 Range Rover that I bought recently. I've been trying to get the DVD Player to work.... It seems like I have been trying everything I can think of and what you guys have mentioned so far. The DVD Player will come on as well as all the screens and the audio but the screens remain black.

Also, my car didn't come with a remote so I got a new remote but now I don't know how to program it.

I have found on my 2007 RR Sport with Rear Entertainment that the major issue with the DVD player (it seems it should be more wrong) is the lens on the optical pick-up to be filthy. For $25.00 at Best Buy they sell the solution. A disc with tiny brushes that clean 100% of the surface. It will take you through all it does as it's doing it... My problems were intermittent and driving me nuts... This fixed the problem. The #1 thing to look for is if the player at least recognizing there is a disc present. They usually do, then you know the reader (seperate function) is dusty... Since spinning mechanisms attract electrostatically all kinds of foreign air bound objects, the back end of a car is no different in the amount of contaminents are there, possible much more...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Anybody have the issue where the cartridge itself will not eject? The changer lights up but nothing happens when I hit the eject button. I have been searching for instructions on how to remove the DVD changer itself

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by badaspsvt View Post
    Anybody have the issue where the cartridge itself will not eject? The changer lights up but nothing happens when I hit the eject button. I have been searching for instructions on how to remove the DVD changer itself
    Me too. I had a problem with DVDs not playing and used a lens cleaner which worked perfectly but now I have had the deadly mecha error sign and the changer itself does not appear to be working anymore; even getting the cassette out takes ages with switching stuff on and off. Are there any instructions to get the DVD player out so I can pull apart and clean it?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I'm getting same problem , mech error gone now but still gets stuck on changing message ! How annoying

I realise it's been a while since the last post on this subject, but I was having the same problem (that is the DVD cassette was stuck in the DVD unit) and had been putting off fixing it. Finally got around to sorting it out tonight and it was much easier than I thought.

It did involve taking the Alpine DVD unit out of the car, as you have to take the top cover off the unit to be able to access the gears that eject the 6 disc cassette. Once it was out I cleaned out all the dust, dirt and junk that was floating around in there by blowing it out with on of those little aerosols you use for blowing the dirt out of laptops/keyboards, etc (don't use a compressor!!); I guess a previous owner had probably left the front cover open at some stage. I then cleaned up the little tracks that the mechanism slides in with some rubbing alcohol on Q-Tips and then lightly lubricate them with some lithium grease (very similar to the process shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMx-YQ8m9j4 its for an Alpine CD changer, but the internals on my Alpine DVD changer out of my 2006 Full Size Range Rover Westminster are almost identical). I put it all back together and it's now all good. Finally got 6 different DVDs playing...... for the first time since I've owned the vehicle!!

I did take a couple of pictures, so if anyone still needs details I could probably write up a more detailed description if it would help.

Cheers,

Scott

FRESHMAN ROVER

@williamss289 - pics would be great! :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now