Just picked a set of RRS replica running boards
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just picked a set of RRS replica running boards

FRESHMAN ROVER RRSupercharged888's Avatar

Just picked a set of RRS replica running boards

I was in the market for some running boards and found some replicas on Ebay from a seller shipping from Turkey. I was a little skeptical about the purchase since the item was shipping from Izmit, Turkey. I figure I have buyer protection on my credit card so I bit the bullet. I just got them in today and I am very impressed with the quality of the rb's. I paid $400 shipped.....not a bad price compared to almost 1k for the OEM's. I can't tell the difference between the OEM's and the replicas I just got. I will post some pics once I get them installed.
    RR Sport Supercharged

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Just picked a set of RRS replica running boards

can't wait to see em installed. i've been wanting to see one installed in person.

JUNIOR ROVER

Wait so you have a set of OEM running boards so you can refer to to see the differences?
    Cheers

Dave

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Goinkin
    Wait so you have a set of OEM running boards so you can refer to to see the differences?
    I've seen the OEM's in person but not up close and of course from pics on the internet. Visually they are practically identical......no real difference from what I can tell. My guess is that the OEM's may have a rubber coating on the board itself. Maybe someone with a set of OEM running boards can chime in on the above statement.
    RR Sport Supercharged

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have a set of dealer-installed OEM running boards and they do have a patterned rubber surface on top for non-slip. Would love to see pics of your boards before or after installation.
    2010 RRS S/C

FRESHMAN ROVER

Actually I have been on Ebay browsing and looking for running boards for a week now ,the cheapest is actually from that guy in Turkey and 2 in England ,you have 2 or 3 in USA who are asking for 900 -1000 bucks for it ,
    congratulations on yours ,can`t wait to see the pictures
    HSE 08 LUX ,S/C wheels ,entertainment package , in sexy tuxedo dress .

JUNIOR ROVER

Triple8.

Saw recently a crowd in New Zealand is also offering running board/rock slider products that look impressive in the illustration !

They are listed on the equivalent site to EBay in the "land of the long white shroud" at http://www.trademe.co.nz I think dude ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
    '88 Highline
    Perth, W.A.

FRESHMAN ROVER

i just went on and bought some from the same guy. a little voice inside my head was telling me not too...only because now they've got your name, address and phone number and they're pretty insistant that they have your phone number. If you've ever received an email from Nigeria, you know before they transfer $20,000,000 to you, they need your name, address and phone number. but 6 others had done it so i took a leap. used a number that isnt associated with me. but for $400 how you can beat it. i just wish i could find a pic of a RRS with running boards on it taht shows the whole car. not just the lower part. I think it will look good but if anyones got a 2010 with boards on it, i'd love to see it.
    2011 RRS SC
    Santorini Black w/ Black interior with contrast white stitching and piano black wood trim / 22" Redbourne Nottingham Wheels
    &
    1969 Dodge Charger 440 R/T General Lee

So RED, I love your quantum reasoning and i'm a true believer in 6 degrees of separation at least in terms of the fractals of it alone.
    But, how are you making this Gaussian connection between a Turkish manufacturer of stamped steel on eBay and the Nigerian chain mail gang.
    One can never be too careful, so why not just give them an address that can't be traced to you either, that way when the customs officer that's trying to call your fake number to verify the validity of the order realizes that the address doesn't exist he'll deny entry of the package and unravel the Turkey-Nigeria syndicate that so has wrong our eBay community.

Seriously, having ordered a bunch of stuff from foreign markets thru eBay I can validate that the phone number is for U.S. custom purposes, they do spot checks and may want to verify that the contents of the package and the manifest match. They don't like having to open each package that passes thru.

In the future don't sweat it just give them the number to the pay phone by the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza where Proctor+Gamble killed Kennedy.
    2006 RRS - Sold
    2010 RR SC - Sold.
    2011 BMW X5 M sport - current.
    2017 Range Rover Sport SC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ha! yeah yeah... i know i know... Im in the risk management business. Its in my nature to suspect! Also, just had my visa number stolen in Boston. So, once bitten...
    Its all good. I too have done much business on ebay and only had 1 problem years ago. Look forward to getting these on my RSS.

btw what is the number for the grassy knoll phone?
    2011 RRS SC
    Santorini Black w/ Black interior with contrast white stitching and piano black wood trim / 22" Redbourne Nottingham Wheels
    &

I installed the running boards this past weekend. Overall, I am fairly pleased with the purchase. After finding a good pic of an OEM set of running boards and comparing it to the replicas I can see that there is a slight difference in the pattern. The replicas don't have the rubber coating like the OEM's as mentioned by Barmats in the above post. For anyone that will be using them in areas with a lot of snow, mud/rain the OEM's may be a better option since it offers a now slip surface. I will post the pics later tonight for all to see.
    RR Sport Supercharged

FRESHMAN ROVER

If no non rubber on the boards, what is it? the ebay listing showed theirs and the OEM and they looked exactly the same.
    is it at least black on the top and if so, what is the material used so that they look black? look forward to the pics!
    2011 RRS SC
    &

Here are the pictures as promised. I think the position of my boards is a little too far back on my install but it's an easy fix that I will deal with this coming weekend. The replicas are constructed out of some type of stamped hard black abs plastic and surrounded by the aluminum trim. The install was not too bad if you have a bit of DIY skill. There is some cutting involved with the plastic panelling that is removed from the inside bottom portion of the body panel behind the doors to make room for the brackets.......I used a dremel. All the cuts are on the underside of the plastic molding so you won't see it even if the cut is not pretty. The rest is bolt on. The first board I installed took me roughly 3 hours........huge learning curve involved. The second one took me 45 minutes.

Here's a link to some install instructions for the factory ones. It's practically identical to the replicas.
    http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extfre ... 500020.pdf

If someone with factory side steps can chime in with a visual comparison of the OEM's and the replica's that would be great.

RR Sport Supercharged

By the way, I will get some better shots of the full vehicle and the boards this weekend.
    RR Sport Supercharged

FRESHMAN ROVER

Those look great. Question... the cutting of the plastic, are you referring to the side skirts? or is there plastic under the car that you cut? would you mind taking a nice profile shot so we can see how it looks with the whole car in the shot? Also, i noticed you have the amber side markers... I've got white ones I ordered for my old 06 before they were available back in 09. Got them from Rover in England and didnt use them on the new because the '10 comes with the white ones already. if you're interested, can sell them to you. those subtle changes can make a big diff.
    2011 RRS SC
    &

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now