would you buy again - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: would you buy again

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: would you buy again

Tough call....I don't have a 2010 but have fairly new low mile 2008 S/C. So far the car has lived up to its reputation of poor reliability. I know that there are plenty of people on this post who claim great reliability, but I've never actually met a LR owner in real life who agrees. This is by far (IMO) the best looking SUV out there, and that really drove the purchase decision. The S/C power has been a nice perk. Handling is acceptable for a massively overweight vehicle, but not X5/X6 good. The pre-2010 interior is awful, but I really like the 2010 upgrades. Dealership responsiveness has been OK, but I wish they would just fix things. I have never had a vehicle spend this much time in a shop, including my 1981 Jeep CJ-7 with a 1977 Chevy V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I've got a 2007 HSE. The only problems to report are more annoyances that problems. Here they are:

TPMS now giving me false alarms.
    Mirrors don't always return to set position (intermittent)

Otherwise, I love it and would buy another. If LR came out with an electric version, I'd be even happier!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by HugeBob
    I've got a 2007 HSE. The only problems to report are more annoyances that problems. Here they are:

Otherwise, I love it and would buy another. If LR came out with an electric version, I'd be even happier!
    the mirror is not always returning is because your memory module (under the seat) is bad...

get it replaced

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by baccocafe

the mirror is not always returning is because your memory module (under the seat) is bad...

get it replaced

They replaced the module a couple of times. It never seemed to work for long. But, I'll see what it costs.

They replaced the module a couple of times. It never seemed to work for long. But, I'll see what it costs.
    You may have already done this, but you also have to program all the keys with all the memory settings (1,2,3).

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by TripleE
    You may have already done this, but you also have to program all the keys with all the memory settings (1,2,3).

So, each memory setting has to be programmed with all keys? I have two. But, only one gets used. I've got Lazy Entry turned on and I swear those mirror never return to the exact position they were in especially after auto-dipping. It's always noticeably too far out, too high to far in. It's never too low though.

If you only use one key, you don't need Lazy Entry. Turn it off from the Setting menu, and save your favorite seat position (and dipped mirrors position if they are currently out of whack) one more time in one of the 3 memory seat buttons. I am almost willing to bet you that your problems with the mirrors will be gone for good after that. I turned Lazy Entry off, saved my "everyday" settings in button # 1 and my "squished-against-the-steering-wheel" settings (for when I have the babies in the back seat, not very often thank goodness...) in memory button # 2, which I only press when necessary. Otherwise the car always defaults to Memory 1 when I open it remotely, which is exactly what I want. Ever since turning off Lazy Entry I haven't had a single issue with errant dipped mirrors and, like you, I only keep the extra key home as a spare anyway. Lazy Entry is only useful if both keys are being used by two people with different default seating position preferences, otherwise it eventually messes with the memory module, even supposedly "updated" ones.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    If you only use one key, you don't need Lazy Entry. Turn it off from the Setting menu, and save your favorite seat position (and dipped mirrors position if they are currently out of whack) one more time in one of the 3 memory seat buttons. I am almost willing to bet you that your problems with the mirrors will be gone for good after that. I turned Lazy Entry off, saved my "everyday" settings in button # 1 and my "squished-against-the-steering-wheel" settings (for when I have the babies in the back seat, not very often thank goodness...) in memory button # 2, which I only press when necessary. Otherwise the car always defaults to Memory 1 when I open it remotely, which is exactly what I want. Ever since turning off Lazy Entry I haven't had a single issue with errant dipped mirrors and, like you, I only keep the extra key home as a spare anyway. Lazy Entry is only useful if both keys are being used by two people with different default seating position preferences, otherwise it eventually messes with the memory module, even supposedly "updated" ones.
    Thanks umberto. I'll give this a try as I leave work today. My modules have been swapped out twice while under warranty.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I don't have a 2010 but a 2009 RRS with 20K mi. I will definitely NOT purchase another. Don't get me wrong, it goes down the interstate 100mph silently but there are way too many other issues that don't fit into my lifestyle.
    Poor snow/off road capability
    Way too small inside
    Quirky electrical issues abound but never often enough for the dealer to id
    I'm going to look at a Chevy or Toyota P/U tonight. Likely to lose my butt on trade

Quote Originally Posted by Extractor
    I don't have a 2010 but a 2009 RRS with 20K mi. I will definitely NOT purchase another. Don't get me wrong, it goes down the interstate 100mph silently but there are way too many other issues that don't fit into my lifestyle.
    Poor snow/off road capability
    Way too small inside
    Quirky electrical issues abound but never often enough for the dealer to id
    I'm going to look at a Chevy or Toyota P/U tonight. Likely to lose my butt on trade
    A Chevy or Toyota pickup will address all those issues.

Plus, you can carry more railroad ties in the back when doing landscape projects around the house.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have a 2009 TDV6 here in Australia and I will definitely buy again. My earlier 2008 model had some issues but eventually LR Australia "assisted" me into a new car after 6000 miles. I fought with them and the dealer a bit and we were not always friends for a while but eventually both came through very well for me and for that they will have my repeat business since I love the RRS, it's a great SUV for my needs.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by tongaRRS
    From a looks stand point this is one of the nicest on the road and has been since it first arrived on the market. Now for the reliability factor and features this car lacks and will not ever make it with the others it strives to be like. I ordered mine in 06' and still have it now going over the 95,000 mile mark and has been a lot of issues. Seems when it comes to the dealership or dealing direct with Land Rover North America you always get the same thing "the run around". Not sure what I will end up with next but it will definitely will not be a Land Rover of any sort...
    It depends on the Dealer, mine bends over backwards to deal with service issues. That's why I and my family have bought 4 Land Rovers from them. You have got to have good service with these cars but my experience is that they are the same when it comes to reliability as the German's. With all these computers and electronics long term reliability is questionable with pretty much anything.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by codynt
    Would definitely buy again.
    +1 Have had all sorts of cars and luv my 2010 SC - would definitely buy the same car again for the same deal. Some people talk about quality, but my 2010 SC has been more or less perfect, and I can introduce you to plenty of Bimmer owners who have had oodles of problems.

I can't imagine that there is any real reliability issues above that which you are likely to experience with any other brand (unlike my friends M3) as I just got back from a month in South Africa where I was completely surprised to find Land-Rovers were the most common SUV that I saw by far over the whole country!! I saw RR Sports everywhere from the inner city to the barren countryside between the pockets of safety that exist hundreds of miles apart! Let me assure you that this would not be the case if there was any sort of higher than normal risk of serious trouble with these vehicles as crime there is almost ubiquitous, and you definitely do not want to take the risk of having any sort of reliability incident!!!

That said, my drivers seat does seem as though it might be a little loose on the runners? All part of the LR experience

Megan
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC, Bournville/Arabica, Extended Leather, Rear diff Lock, Active Cruise, Surround Cam, DVD, HD - For Sale!!!!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm not sure I would buy another one. This is my first LR, and when it works, I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it has not been reliable, and I've had a series of unusual problems that the dealer has never seen before. The first 3 visits were due to scrolling error messages indicating failures in pretty much every single area: engine, brakes, transmission, suspension, etc. I lost engine power and power steering, then after waiting a few minutes, things returned to normal. These problems were eventually traced to a frayed wire bundle under the passenger side floor panel. During the troubleshooting phase, I was without the vehicle for a total of approximately 3 weeks.

The most recent problem was a leak in the air suspension whereby the passenger side would sag to access height after an hour or two. While the engine was running, I would hear periodic "swoosh" sounds as the air would leak out and be replenished. This was traced to a faulty valve, which is currently on order.

The good news is that I have had a series of very nice Jaguar loaner vehicles during these service bouts. I would ordinarily never have had the chance to drive a Jag, and I must say it's a very nice car. One of the Jags was the supercharged engine, and while it's not the 510 hp that I'm used to, it was pretty awesome.

So once again, I'm without my RRS and really missing it after another week of shop-time. It's awesome when I have it and it's working properly, but after 5 months and 8,000 miles, my recent experiences have made me skeptical that this is a reliable vehicle.
    2010 RRS S/C

FRESHMAN ROVER

Buyer beware. I give you my experience - bought new 2010 RR Sport HSE Lux beginning Feb based on good looks and great test drive, and against the advice of knowing friends. But hey it's good to be a contrarian and do your bit for home country. From day 1, car had electical problems which eventually resulted in me driving a loaner for over 2 months. As the dealer gave up and told me they were unable to fix it, I started action to get my money back. After a struggle, LRNA eventually coughed up the full amount and they took a $14k hit. Picked up my 2011 Porsche Cayenne S today - what a great car - handles better, more power, looks fantastic. Time will tell but my self esteem has been restored.

My advice - stay away from the Range Rover - take heed from the JD Power ratings - Range Rover is bottom of the list for a good reason and their quality / reliability remains firmly stuck in era of British Leyland in the sixties and so far behind the German / Japanese manufacturers that you need a telescope!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now