Wow. Got the runaround re the peeling airbag cover
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wow. Got the runaround re the peeling airbag cover

JUNIOR ROVER

Wow. Got the runaround re the peeling airbag cover

Tried to set an appt with the service advisor about the airbag cover and steering wheel. He said "they are all like that" and that they would not replace the cover or the wheel. Truck is still under factory warranty. Should I hit up another dealer? Kind of pissed off about this.
    Cheers

Dave

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Wow. Got the runaround re the peeling airbag cover

I would contact Land Rover USA. My dealer, which is not the best in the world, replaced without any questions. Your dealer is right, they are all like that and that is why LAnd Rover is replacing. It's defective.
    2006 Range Rover Sport Black on Black SC- Sold
    2012 Range Rover Sport Black on Black SC
    2014 Range Rover Sport Gray HSE

Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.
    Thanks umberto I appreciate the TSB. I'm going swing by tomorrow and see what they say. Can they deny the TSB and say that LRNA won't reimburse them for it? And if they do, would I have a mind to bring it to another dealer?
    Cheers

Dave

Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by DrewT55
    I would contact Land Rover USA. My dealer, which is not the best in the world, replaced without any questions. Your dealer is right, they are all like that and that is why LAnd Rover is replacing. It's defective.

Thanks Drew. I think I just have a jack ass service advisor.
    Cheers

Dave

Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Goinkin

Thanks umberto I appreciate the TSB. I'm going swing by tomorrow and see what they say. Can they deny the TSB and say that LRNA won't reimburse them for it? And if they do, would I have a mind to bring it to another dealer?
    Yes and yes. But hopefully you won't have to.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Goinkin

Yes and yes. But hopefully you won't have to.
    Cheers

Dave

Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

FRESHMAN ROVER

Could you take a picture of the peeling airbag cover? I think mine might be doing that and I thought maybe it was just like that naturally since I didn't pay attention to it when I first got the car.

Here is an old thread, I had taken pictures of mine, which has since gotten a little worse (not much, thank goodness)... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16438 Never got mine replaced, by the time the TSB came out I was out of factory warranty.

JUNIOR ROVER

Here is an old thread, I had taken pictures of mine, which has since gotten a little worse (not much, thank goodness)... https://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16438 Never got mine replaced, by the time the TSB came out I was out of factory warranty.
    Hopefully I can get them to act on it.
    Cheers

Dave

Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

FORUM MODERATOR

Here is an old thread, I had taken pictures of mine, which has since gotten a little worse (not much, thank goodness)... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16438 Never got mine replaced, by the time the TSB came out I was out of factory warranty.

I think some drivers might be subconsciously pulling on the tab if their hand rests in the middle of the steering wheel, and little by little it starts to peel off.

97K miles and no peeling on mine...
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the link. Yep, I have the same problem too. It's amazing they haven't fixed this issue since you noticed it on your '06.

I'll try to take it in sometime...it seems that every time I go to the dealership, they find some way to make me pay for something.

On my "peeling" air bag cover you could also clearly see the seams in the center bulging out. The new one was completely flat with no visible seams.

Post from the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck RRS
    mine didn't curl as bad on top but I noticed on the face of the airbag cover that the ribs were protruding through. It was almost like the wall on either side of the ribs were starting to "sink" (common in plastic molding when you have thick sections).

The SA of course denied it being a problem and then I told him to compare it to the other "Brand New" trucks in the show room and he promptly agreed to change it. Now the cover is a slightly lighter color than the rest of the plastic.

I don't think the top part curling would affect the airbag's operation as the airbag just has to be able to blow through the cover upon deployment. But then again, what the hell do I know, I'm not an airbag engineer. Try the stealership first, you never know what they will say....especially if you say you might buy a new truck.....hehhee..

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mine is REALLY bad. Thank you very much for the TSB... Printing now.

Premium Member

make sure you ask for this while you're under the new car factory warranty. mine wasn't so bad at 50k and i'd waited until now, just before my extended expires, to ask for it. LR denied it.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now