replacing locking dif with non locking
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: replacing locking dif with non locking

  1. #1
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    replacing locking dif with non locking

    This may be a really stupid question, so please forgive my ignorance. If my RRS has the rear locking differential option, can I replace it without the rear locking differential? My rear diff is going bad. I had it checked at a shop today. The price they quoted me almost made me crap my pants: $3,500 just for the part plus about 10 hours labor. Yikes! I'm going to have a dealership confirm whether it's a locking rear diff or not, but I'm just wondering your thoughts. Can a locking rear diff be replaced with a non-locking? If so, what's the downside to doing that? There's no off-roading with mine anyway, so climbing rocks etc never happens.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; February 8th, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    FRESHMAN ROVER Alfa Rover's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2nd, 2016
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    28

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Hello, you say, my diff is on the way out. what exactly is wrong with it? i was quoted $2900 for re and re for mine. just curious about your issue. Cheers Neil.

  4. #3
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    The garage didn't give me specifics. They said that the humming noise coming from the back is coming from the rear differential. He said it's likely that the rear differential is the cause. He put it up on the lift and checked under it. The neither differential has a leak, but he said that just because there isn't a leak is not indicative of a good (normal operation) rear differential.

    He said the part alone is $3,500 (note: this is a Land Rover shop, not a dealership or LR service department) plus labor of about 10 hours, which would equal about another $1000-$1,200, pushing the total repair cost to close to $5,000. I stopped at the LR dealership/service dept. and they gave me a quote of nearly $7,500 for parts alone. I don't know what I'm going to do because I certainly cannot afford to put $5,000 - $9,000 in a rear differential when something else could break a week later. Here's a breakdown of charges from the LR dealership. Maybe I'm being taken for a ride at both places. I'm going to continue pricing it out.

    replacing locking dif with non locking-rr-repair.jpg
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    FRESHMAN ROVER Alfa Rover's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2nd, 2016
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    28

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Hello, try having them change the diff oil first, you may fing that will cure the problem. if they dont want to change the oil you need to change shops. find someone else. please post your findings. Cheers Neil.

  7. #5
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    74

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Quote Originally Posted by matt_06RRSSC View Post
    The garage didn't give me specifics. They said that the humming noise coming from the back is coming from the rear differential. He said it's likely that the rear differential is the cause. He put it up on the lift and checked under it. The neither differential has a leak, but he said that just because there isn't a leak is not indicative of a good (normal operation) rear differential.



    He said the part alone is $3,500 (note: this is a Land Rover shop, not a dealership or LR service department) plus labor of about 10 hours, which would equal about another $1000-$1,200, pushing the total repair cost to close to $5,000. I stopped at the LR dealership/service dept. and they gave me a quote of nearly $7,500 for parts alone. I don't know what I'm going to do because I certainly cannot afford to put $5,000 - $9,000 in a rear differential when something else could break a week later. Here's a breakdown of charges from the LR dealership. Maybe I'm being taken for a ride at both places. I'm going to continue pricing it out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR repair.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	216153
    That humming noise is worn out bearings within the differential you can hear this noise when u go about 120-130 kmph but put it on a lift u can hear it right away same thing happened to mine you can get just the bearings replaced but a Indy shop would do that Land Rover just replaces parts but that humming noise is definitely the worn out bearings tell them to check the diff oil they will find metal shavings or look online for rebuilt diff and then sell yours after to recoup some of your money

  8. #6
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  9. #7
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    191

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Quote Originally Posted by Dil_king View Post
    That humming noise is worn out bearings within the differential you can hear this noise when u go about 120-130 kmph but put it on a lift u can hear it right away same thing happened to mine you can get just the bearings replaced but a Indy shop would do that Land Rover just replaces parts but that humming noise is definitely the worn out bearings tell them to check the diff oil they will find metal shavings or look online for rebuilt diff and then sell yours after to recoup some of your money
    Here is the rebuild kit:
    http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DOK009
    2006 RRS Bonatti Gray
    2008 RRS S/C Alaska White

  10. #8
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Thanks. I will make that request.

    Sidenote: I bought this just over a month ago, and after getting those quotes yesterday, I talked to the dealership where I bought it. They are working with me to find a rebuilt differential. I'll pay their cost and they will cover the labor. Now to find a rebuilt differential. I found some on Roverlandparts.com, but I don't know if they have the one I need. The part number given to me by the LR dealership is LR059435. I cannot find that on their site. I thought I found the one I need until I looked a little closer and saw it was a different part number LR009442 (this one has added text "without shift motor" which is why I'm guessing it's a different part #). I emailed them asking for the part # given to me by the LR dealership service dept.

    On top of the differential, the LR dealership says that all the following parts have to be replaced when replacing a differential.

    LR032711 MOTOR - REAR DI $829.99 + $200 core charge
    LR041063 HOUSING-DIFFERE $555.99
    plus differential
    LR059435 DIFFERENTIAL $6032.99 + $700 core charge
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  11. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    139

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Hi, I thought I had a problem with front diff on my 2009 RRS SC. I picked one up on Ebay with 6 month warranty for $600 shipped, it was pulled from 2012 RRS, put pair of new seals, new oil and good so far. Warranty company paid my mechanic about $1000 for labor I guess- I did not ask how much exactly, did not want to stick my nose in his valet but it took a day to replace and he was very happy with compensation etc. I guess it is safe to assume that as deeply buried as it is, it would be a lot more labor incentive to replace front diff than rear so numbers you show seem a little outrageous. If I may suggest - look on Ebay, is someone has the part you need, has nearly 100% good feedback and plenty of them (feedbacks), offers 3-6 month warranty - may be it would be the best way to go. Pay with PayPal and you'll be protected from any games/gimmicks.
    Also, I'd like to point out that "I thought" I had a problem with a differential. Rover was humming @25-30 Mph. Just making annoying Ahm-ahm-ahm non-constant, well, ahm... Only after installing winter rear wheels/tires I figured that it is not a differential but rather one of the rear wheels/tires (I say rear because front tires are new/wheels are brand new factory rims) so if you can, check your tires/rims first, as low profile as they are - easy to damage.

  12. #10
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    762

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    I'm pretty sure one can find shops that can rebuild a diff. When I was young I worked in a shop that rebuilt motors, transmissions and diff's for transport companies.
    Usually just bearings and seals and the know how to mate the gears properly. Not a job for someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
    2009 RRS S/C

  13. #11
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    I had considered tires, too. The dealership where I bought it is going to work out a deal. I pay for parts, they'll do the labor at no charge. They want to keep it for a day to go over it completely to rule out everything else (wheel bearing, tires, etc.) before I order parts (again, no charge for that). There's no warranty on the vehicle, so I'm glad they're offering this as an option since it wasn't all that long ago they sold it to me.

    I have checked eBay but came up empty so far. I'm going to continue shopping. The diff. isn't to the point that it needs replacing immediately. I have some time.
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  14. #12
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    74

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Quote Originally Posted by matt_06RRSSC View Post
    I had considered tires, too. The dealership where I bought it is going to work out a deal. I pay for parts, they'll do the labor at no charge. They want to keep it for a day to go over it completely to rule out everything else (wheel bearing, tires, etc.) before I order parts (again, no charge for that). There's no warranty on the vehicle, so I'm glad they're offering this as an option since it wasn't all that long ago they sold it to me.

    I have checked eBay but came up empty so far. I'm going to continue shopping. The diff. isn't to the point that it needs replacing immediately. I have some time.
    How long ago did u purchase try to get the dealer to Cover whole thing if it has not been to long.

  15. #13
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Only about 6 weeks ago. They won't cover the whole thing because I bought it, as they reminded me, 'as-is'.
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  16. #14
    FRESHMAN ROVER matt_06RRSSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2017
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    20

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
    I'm pretty sure one can find shops that can rebuild a diff. When I was young I worked in a shop that rebuilt motors, transmissions and diff's for transport companies.

    Usually just bearings and seals and the know how to mate the gears properly. Not a job for someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
    I wish I would have found the list of recommended repairs shops available in this forum (https://www.rangerovers.net/service/index.html) sooner because from it I found a reputable place who did a real diagnosis of the vehicle. Turns out it is the rear diff, but this shop rebuilds them, so I'm going that route. I will get the vehicle back in about a week. $1,800 rebuild parts and labor. Overland 4X4 in Alexandria, Virginia (about 20 miles from me) is doing the work, and they have positive online reviews. I had a great first impression of them, too. I have no reason not to trust their work, so I left it in their capable hands. They're also replacing some bushings while they have it to get rid of the clunk in the front when going over bumps (lower control arm and sway bar bushings I think). I'll report back in about a week's time on how it all turns out.
    2006 Range Rover Sport, supercharged engine.

  17. #15
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    June 28th, 2014
    Location
    miami, fl
    Posts
    106

    Re: replacing locking dif with non locking

    Noisy bearings in differential can last a long time

    Front diff on my 07 sport hse was humming and grinding from 35 to 45 mph when i bought it with 50k miles

    At around 60k miles i replaced the fluid and was all muddy and black, with thicker 80-140 fluid the noise and grinding is almost unnnoticeable

    Now i am at 85k miles

    3 fluid changes later every 10k miles was still coming out contaminated

    Hopefully dont break on me for as long as i have the car

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. central locking
    By Karl 569 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 24th, 2015, 07:11 AM
  2. 2006 RR HSE Drive-Away Locking and Auto Locking
    By blueRR2006 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 28th, 2012, 05:03 AM
  3. Sill locking or slam locking does not work.
    By kyle h. in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 12th, 2009, 04:44 AM
  4. Central Locking Problem- passenger door not locking
    By rudseyrover in forum Range Rover Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 30th, 2006, 12:49 AM
  5. Central Locking
    By Denis O in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0