Wintertime.... Wash or don't Wash?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Wintertime.... Wash or don't Wash?

Wintertime.... Wash or don't Wash?

OK guys,

This seems a little controversial to me. Assuming you live in an area where the winters can get very cold and slushy and have done an oil spray or some sort of anti-corrosion treatment in the fall...

- Some say Don't Wash your car weekly during the winter because it takes the oil off, dilutes the salt that's caked on your car and spreads it deeper into the metalwork.

- Some say that it's better to wash the car weekly during the winter to keep the salt off and just plain have a cleaner looking car.

With Canadian winters as harsh as they are my car is never *really* clean so I kind of agree with the first argument. What do y'all think?
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Wintertime.... Wash or don't Wash?

Every trip over a local pass I hit the coin op and hot wax my wheel wells, behind the bumpers and any undercarriage I can reach. There is no way I would leave road chemicals, sand and muck for any period of time. As far as paint I always give all my cars a heavy wax some point between Halloween and Thanksgiving. A simple quick wash of the paint every week or two removes road grime without the chemicals and oils sitting on the paint all winter. I will always prefer a nice clean car, even if it is only for a few days, over having grime, filthy windows and caked lighting.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    I will always prefer a nice clean car, even if it is only for a few days, over having grime, filthy windows and caked lighting.
    Funny you say that RRT. If I run my car through the car wash, it's dirty again in minutes, not days lol. They oversalt the roads here.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

It's like that here as well... when everything is not frozen.

I am only a few feet above sea level and it very rarely gets below freezing here. We've been below freezing with record cold temps for almost three weeks. All the car washes are closed.

JUNIOR ROVER

I have a theory that as long as it stays below freezing the salt is dormant. As soon as it goes above freezing it is a good idea to get it washed off.
    2009 RRS S/C

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
    I have a theory that as long as it stays below freezing the salt is dormant. As soon as it goes above freezing it is a good idea to get it washed off.
    That's my theory as well.

I fluid film the rover and will wash the panels, lights, and windows, at least monthly. The underside and frame will get scrubbed again come spring and the cycle repeats.
    1990 Range Rover
    1995 Range Rover LWB
    2006 Range Rover
    2004 Discovery 2

http://www.roverparts.com/News/archi...verSurgery.cfm
    http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...irs-60356.html

JUNIOR ROVER

It's -10 to -30c here in Ontario for the next month or two. I also prefer to wash often and keep all the salt off my paint.

I rust proofed in the summer after some fresh paint, and was going to again late Nov but they told me it was pointless.

My drivers door was freezing because I needed to change the cables, that was the only thing preventing me from hitting the carwash every second day or so.

Otherwise, keep it as clean as possible. Road salt is ridiculous here and even a half hour after I wash it's covered again.

My main concern is my rear hatch. It's rotting from the inside out, and I had it painted twice already. I got it loaded full of rustproofing to try and slow the rust until I break down and replace it with a new one. But until then, I wanna keep it as clean as possible.

2006 L322 4.2L SC
    2006 L322 4.2 SC

SOPHOMORE ROVER

When I lived in Omaha Ne back in the 70s, Arby's answer was considered the correct one. But as soon as it got over 20*F, into the automated car wash, including a wax under spray.
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

Banned

Hi guys, I agree with washing the truck when it gets warmer or at least weekly but tell you this - next one, I am getting in white, Santorini Black is beautiful but will go with white one next time.
    Don't you like not have to worry much about salt if RRS is 2010 and up because it is out of aluminum? I don't mean one can/should neglect it and keep under an inch of salt but still...

The 2010-13s are NOT aluminum. They are steel. The 2014s+ are aluminum

Salts and grime impact all metals, rubbers and plastics. Aluminum alloy's main benefit is weight efficiency, not less maintenance of the under carriage.

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Brimill1234's Avatar

I was waiting till I had time to respond properly to the question.

It's always best to keep all contaminants off a vehicle that pose a corrosion risk. The trick is to remove them properly depending on conditions and what the contamination is.

With salt and freezing temps the biggest reason for failure is improper washing techniques. Everyone thinks that "garage kept" is a good thing when it's actually awful for vehicles that sit in below freezing temps. What happens is when you go to the car wash and high pressure blast water into every crevice and seam and then drive away at below freezing temps that water freeze in the pinch weld or seam and gently pushes it apart. Then it goes into garage at home and thaws and when you go back out in the morning it does it again. After a few winters salt and grit get in their and scratch things and rust starts to form. The Mercedes G wagon in the best example of this as anytime you see and older one every seam is rusty where water got in repeatedly over time.

If the trucks frozen it's always good to just leave it frozen. When washing never force water into pinchwelds and seams. Always wash it away from openings not blast grit and salt deeper where it can't be removed. I usually wait till after spring arrives and slosh the truck around on a boat ramp a few times to soak and rinse everything off and then take it home for a gentle lawn sprinkler on the undercarriage to rinse everything down with clean water.
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

JUNIOR ROVER

I like the lawn sprinkler idea. Good one.
    2009 RRS S/C

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now