2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by ghur View Post
    I changed the supercharger coupler today and all is well. No more clattering noise. The following link shows the play in the shaft.

https://youtu.be/gtAiLHVNNGs

Not the easiest Range Rover job I have done and definitely not for the fainthearted. The official manual is very vague and one has to interpolate the instructions plus there are two electrical multi plugs that connect to the Symposer and Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor which are both located on the rear of the supercharger unit. Impossible to remove until the whole unit has been unbolted and then lifted and pulled forward. The supercharger weighs a fair amount and I had one helper when removing it which helped a little but was still a mission. Then I engaged brain and used my engine crane for the refitting which made life very much easier.

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219138&d=1488482373"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219146&d=1488482414"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219153&d=1488482444"][/iurl]

I had planned to change the oil while I had the unit out of the car but my order from the USA had not arrived. Lucky I had a coupler on the shelf waiting for another job. The coupler I removed was still in one piece but very worn and had a lot of play as can be seen from the YouTube link. I can confirm that trying to change the oil with the supercharger in place would be next to impossible.
    Ahahah I was going to attempt the supercharger pulley as I feel that my noise was coming from there but based on these pictures I guess I'm going to have to send it out. But, after listening to your video, I am more sure it's coming from the pulley so thanks for sharing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I changed the supercharger coupler today and all is well. No more clattering noise. The following link shows the play in the shaft.

Not the easiest Range Rover job I have done and definitely not for the fainthearted. The official manual is very vague and one has to interpolate the instructions plus there are two electrical multi plugs that connect to the Symposer and Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor which are both located on the rear of the supercharger unit. Impossible to remove until the whole unit has been unbolted and then lifted and pulled forward. The supercharger weighs a fair amount and I had one helper when removing it which helped a little but was still a mission. Then I engaged brain and used my engine crane for the refitting which made life very much easier.

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219138&d=1488482373"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219146&d=1488482414"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219153&d=1488482444"][/iurl]

I had planned to change the oil while I had the unit out of the car but my order from the USA had not arrived. Lucky I had a coupler on the shelf waiting for another job. The coupler I removed was still in one piece but very worn and had a lot of play as can be seen from the YouTube link. I can confirm that trying to change the oil with the supercharger in place would be next to impossible.
    Hahaha after seeing your pictures, I'm definitely not doing the pulley myself. But thanks for the videos, I'm sure my noise is coming from there

Banned

Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

DUC1098 did you figure out the cause of the sound? My 2010 S/C is making the exact same noise

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickBateman View Post
    DUC1098 did you figure out the cause of the sound? My 2010 S/C is making the exact same noise
    It's quieter but I can still hear a rattle sometimes. Spent about $6500. I might charge it back to my credit card because the mechanic told me that the clunking sound you hear when you turn the car off is one of the causes but it's still doing the same thing when I turn it off. On top of all that my AC stopped blowing cold after I got the car back so leads me to believe they punctured something when they were working on it. Car only has 68k miles..
    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-6500-work.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey DUC1098

I have a 2010 RRS SC with a similar sound to what you have in your video...the car runs fine but when I took it in to the dealership to have a small repair done they acted like my car was going to explode and gave me a preliminary quote of $10-14K to have the timing belt and supercharger snouts replaces (or something like that). After a full diagnoses they said it would cost ~$7500.

I've got 105,000 on the car right now, what happens if I don't address the clicking problem? And did you have your work done at a dealership or indy shop? Is the sound gone after the work?

Thx
    2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2001 HSE 4.6 30th Anv. Edition (coils)

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have a 2011 RRSportSC with 118,000 miles. I have a CNA extended warranty. My vehicle VIN falls within range of those with potentially bad timing chain tensioners. CNA has just approved repairs to replace chain tensioners and guides as well as supercharger snout. Approximate cost is $5400.

Seems like Jag may have a solution that has not been adopted by LR?

https://jlr.oemdtc.com/76/supercharg...10-2016-jaguar

LEGACY VENDOR

Land Rover does have a similar one. Technical Bulletin JTB00349v2
    Attached Files Attached Files
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by printrep View Post
    I have a 2011 RRSportSC with 118,000 miles. I have a CNA extended warranty. My vehicle VIN falls within range of those with potentially bad timing chain tensioners. CNA has just approved repairs to replace chain tensioners and guides as well as supercharger snout. Approximate cost is $5400.
    Repairs above completed as well as replaced electric fan due to "clicking" noise. The vehicle sounds normal again without the loud "rattling" noise. I'm not sure whether the chain tensioners or the snout took care of the issue.

Hello, did you ever change the supercharger coupling? If so did you have to remover supercharger? Thanks, I’m changing the coupler now but almost impossible to get to 2 bolts.

FRESHMAN ROVER

You can get to all of them (except one) and remove them. You will need to undo cooling Y-pipe from the engine block 2 torx bolts then pull it up, twist it, lean it forward etc...to get the lower two bolts to loosen/remove them. The top right bolt (as you look at engine from the front) you will have to loosen out as far as you can then cut it off with a dremel tool. You'll have the shave some material off of the driver's side intake/cover (you'll notice where this needs to be done when you loosen this 10mm bolt in the first place) Then replace bolt with a hex-head bolt to have room to put this whole snout assembly back on. If you don't want to do all this you can loosen the supercharger from the intake manifold (after you remove the 27 torx bolts for just the cover of the supercharger) then lift the bottom portion up - to remove another 10mm bolt that's on the side of this driver intake. Then this right bolt doesn't need to be cut or replaced. Easy a Pie!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here are some pictures if needed. The four bolts shown (Intake) are in reference to the driver's side that you'll need to remove - but easier to show where they are located in the picture from the pass-side. Sorry for the extensive use of Paint to help edit these pictures (right click on picture - view image - to enlarge)

2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-sc1.jpg

2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-sc.jpg

What you can do after this bolt is switched out without removing the supercharger

2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-sc3.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

Where did you find the instructions to replace the snout? I cant seem to find any.

Attachment 219138

Attachment 219146

Attachment 219153

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now