2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

  1. #16
    LEGACY VENDOR
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2004
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    700

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Fan coupler? I am talking about the supercharger coupling. There is also a viscous fan ticking noise that seems to affect these cars - I have noticed mine doing it occasionally. But thats a rhythmic ticking one notices at idle.
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    JUNIOR ROVER Canrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2014
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    795

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by ghur View Post
    Fan coupler? I am talking about the supercharger coupling. There is also a viscous fan ticking noise that seems to affect these cars - I have noticed mine doing it occasionally. But thats a rhythmic ticking one notices at idle.
    Yup that's exactly what I'm talking about. The SC coupler I am not familiar with.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

  4. #18
    LEGACY VENDOR
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2004
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    700

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Different engine but similar sound to my SC rattle. I also found this explanation taken from EATON's patent on the torsion damper

    Torsion damping mechanism for a supercharger
    US 8042526 B2
    During non-supercharging, low engine speed or idle speed operation, the meshed teeth of the blower timing gears may be substantially unloaded and may bounce or clash back and forth against each other through the backlash therebetween. The bounce or clash may produce an objectionable noise known as gear rattle and is believed to be caused by torsionals in the supercharger drive torque provided by periodic combustion engines.


    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    FRESHMAN ROVER DUC1098's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    How do you take the supercharger belt off? Should I loosen the bolt on this pulley? And is it safe to start the car up without the belt for this test?
    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-img_2341.jpg
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 25th, 2017 at 07:12 AM.

  7. #20
    LEGACY VENDOR
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2004
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    700

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    No. You use a 3/8 drive ratchet or similar in the square hole to lever this tensioner which will loosen the belt and allow removal. I would make sure the belt wont be able to flap around before starting the engine and wouldn't run the engine for too long as the belt will be stationary while the crankshaft pulley is spinning.
    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-images.jpg
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

  8. #21
    FRESHMAN ROVER DUC1098's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by ghur View Post
    No. You use a 3/8 drive ratchet or similar in the square hole to lever this tensioner which will loosen the belt and allow removal. I would make sure the belt wont be able to flap around before starting the engine and wouldn't run the engine for too long as the belt will be stationary while the crankshaft pulley is spinning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	214530
    Thanks ghur. Took the belt off to be safe. Turns out most of the noise was from the supercharger. Did you ever fix yours? There's a guy on ebay selling new snouts(link below) for about $250 after core charge. Is it an easy job to replace it? or would the supercharger have to come out?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/122328794465

  9. #22
    LEGACY VENDOR
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2004
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    700

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by DUC1098 View Post
    Thanks ghur. Took the belt off to be safe. Turns out most of the noise was from the supercharger. Did you ever fix yours? There's a guy on ebay selling new snouts(link below) for about $250 after core charge. Is it an easy job to replace it? or would the supercharger have to come out?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/122328794465
    I am still waiting for my replacement coupler to arrive. Postage is slow from USA to South Africa. I expect to receive it in a couple of weeks and will then tackle the job.

    I opted to go for the coupler only as it is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole snout. I hope I made the right choice. My understanding is the whole supercharger has to come out but will obviously look at doing it in situ if possible.
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

  10. #23
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2016
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    10

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    I had a similar "tick" on my 2010 RRS supercharged. It is the impeller part in the supercharger. The dealer would not fix it as it is "not broken yet". I think it is a spring. If you still have the problem and want more info I can go look up my service record on it. There was a guy on Ebay selling a better part to fix the problem but it involves taking the supercharger apart. Looked it up. Impeller isolator spring.
    2010 Range Rover Sport S/C

  11. #24
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    55
    Hi guys, I own a 2010 Range Rover sport supercharged and i feel my engine noise has a different "tick" than the superchager noise I've been listening to. Here is a video clip of what my engine sounds like



    I also notice when I am not moving at a red light in any gear, my car vibrates a lot. I brought it to a mechanic and he said most likely the engine mounts would need to be changed, however the car only has 110,000km on it and was told that the mounts usually don't fail this early

  12. #25
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2010
    Posts
    91

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    LiangA - my 2010 with 86K miles sounds EXACTLY the same as your video on vimeo above. Exactly. Mine had the timing chain tensioners and the supercharger nosecone / pulley thing replaced about 10K miles ago, so it's not that.


    Quote Originally Posted by LiangA View Post
    Hi guys, I own a 2010 Range Rover sport supercharged and i feel my engine noise has a different "tick" than the superchager noise I've been listening to. Here is a video clip of what my engine sounds like



    I also notice when I am not moving at a red light in any gear, my car vibrates a lot. I brought it to a mechanic and he said most likely the engine mounts would need to be changed, however the car only has 110,000km on it and was told that the mounts usually don't fail this early

  13. #26
    FRESHMAN ROVER DUC1098's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Just an update on mine, changing the supercharger snout didn't fix it. Apparently the timing chain tensioner noise is inconsistent so when I ran the car without the SC belt it happened to be in it's quit mode... taking it in to pull the engine out. Can't stand the tractor sound.

  14. #27
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    LiangA - my 2010 with 86K miles sounds EXACTLY the same as your video on vimeo above. Exactly. Mine had the timing chain tensioners and the supercharger nosecone / pulley thing replaced about 10K miles ago, so it's not that.


    Quote Originally Posted by LiangA View Post
    Hi guys, I own a 2010 Range Rover sport supercharged and i feel my engine noise has a different "tick" than the superchager noise I've been listening to. Here is a video clip of what my engine sounds like



    I also notice when I am not moving at a red light in any gear, my car vibrates a lot. I brought it to a mechanic and he said most likely the engine mounts would need to be changed, however the car only has 110,000km on it and was told that the mounts usually don't fail this early
    Thanks for the reply Nash! I was starting to worry that those components were the ones creating the noise but I guess I can cross that off the list! I'm going to get the throttle body and injectors cleaned and see how that goes

  15. #28
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by DUC1098 View Post
    Just an update on mine, changing the supercharger snout didn't fix it. Apparently the timing chain tensioner noise is inconsistent so when I ran the car without the SC belt it happened to be in it's quit mode... taking it in to pull the engine out. Can't stand the tractor sound.
    Keep us updated on your progress! If all goes well I may consider as well. However I feel with the bill that I'll be receiving after, It would cover a big chunk towards the newer model Range Rover sport

  16. #29
    LEGACY VENDOR
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2004
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    700

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    I changed the supercharger coupler today and all is well. No more clattering noise. The following link shows the play in the shaft.

    https://youtu.be/gtAiLHVNNGs

    Not the easiest Range Rover job I have done and definitely not for the fainthearted. The official manual is very vague and one has to interpolate the instructions plus there are two electrical multi plugs that connect to the Symposer and Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor which are both located on the rear of the supercharger unit. Impossible to remove until the whole unit has been unbolted and then lifted and pulled forward. The supercharger weighs a fair amount and I had one helper when removing it which helped a little but was still a mission. Then I engaged brain and used my engine crane for the refitting which made life very much easier.

    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-1.jpg

    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-2.jpg

    2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise-3.jpg

    I had planned to change the oil while I had the unit out of the car but my order from the USA had not arrived. Lucky I had a coupler on the shelf waiting for another job. The coupler I removed was still in one piece but very worn and had a lot of play as can be seen from the YouTube link. I can confirm that trying to change the oil with the supercharger in place would be next to impossible.
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

  17. #30
    SOPHOMORE ROVER CapeCod's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    283

    Re: 2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by DUC1098 View Post
    Any update? I just received my 2011 L322 SC with 66k miles and it's doing the same thing except it only does it some times. Need to know if I should send it back to the dealer or ask for a refund. I asked them specifically if it has this knock and they said no...

    Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAuWXpg1_4
    This is exactly what my 2010 RRS SC sounds like upon warm/hot restart. So when I head out and shut off the car,, when I return and the engine is still warm/hot, my engine sounds just like this. Going to have the timing chain, tensioners, and guides redone on it.

    Can anyone who has had this done chime in and tell me what their experience was? Does this job really make these already noisy engines much quieter?
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC - Santorini Black with Ebony Interior (sold)
    2017 Range Rover Sport HSE - Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus Interior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. L322 5.0 Supercharged Engine Rattle & Ticking...
    By iconoclast in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 8th, 2017, 10:53 AM
  2. 2010 supercharged - odd engine noise
    By nashvegas in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2015, 11:00 PM
  3. BMW M62 engine - permanent rattle/knocking noise
    By RRPhil in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: December 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM
  4. Engine rattle noise at Cruise
    By RRRumcay in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM
  5. Rattle noise when cold start engine??
    By jad42485 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0