Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C - Page 9
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C

Re: Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C

You might be overthinking this. I have found the stock pads and rotors are a nice match. I get 2 pad changes per 1 rotor change with that setup. Putting a more aggressive pad on there you run the risk of having a 1:1 ratio which may actually end up costing more $ in the long run.

Btw. I've noticed the LR # OE rear pads have gone through multiple iterations since '09. Early ones had no chamfer on the leading edge, then they did. The next set I bought had the soft metal shims, then they came out with a sticky peel away backing version, so I'm not even sure LR has a definitive solution to the rear squeaking.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by gkwait View Post
    What do you run now? on your RRS?
    I have OEM rover rotors & pads due to the previous owner taking to the dealer.
    There is some dust associated with the pads, but they stop well and are quiet.
    When I get to the point when I have to switch them out - I'll be in the same boat as you now, and
    have to do some further research. I'm hoping Pagid has a pad for the supercharged brembo brakes....always
    liked these on my audis

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey View Post
    You might be overthinking this. I have found the stock pads and rotors are a nice match. I get 2 pad changes per 1 rotor change with that setup. Putting a more aggressive pad on there you run the risk of having a 1:1 ratio which may actually end up costing more $ in the long run.

Btw. I've noticed the LR # OE rear pads have gone through multiple iterations since '09. Early ones had no chamfer on the leading edge, then they did. The next set I bought had the soft metal shims, then they came out with a sticky peel away backing version, so I'm not even sure LR has a definitive solution to the rear squeaking.
    Very possible...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

I'm not even sure LR has a definitive solution to the rear squeaking.
    The latest one, which is the second revision of the sticky back kind, seems to be pretty good with noise, as long as the rotor is in good shape.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Yeah, I just go LR Genuine now. I had too many variations on "OEM" also (not just LR). I think a lot of vendors now days will quote "OEM" but they are not necessarily the original manufacturer of the given make. For instance they may be a "BMW OEM", but not for LR, yet they will still say they are "OEM" pads for a LR or what not. YMMV.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hello,

Planning to replace my pads and rotors this week. Pdf on the front brakes looks straight forward enough. My question is on the rear brakes.

What is the procedure for the "EPB Service Mode" that was referred to? I see a pdf on "bedding in the EB". Is that the procedure to be followed?

If so, how will I know I got it into service mode?

How will I get it out of service mode when I am done?

It appears I may need to "turn the little wheel" inside the drum for the EB before I am able to pull the rotor off. Does anyone know in which direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mike

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Not sure what the EPB "Service Mode" is. I replaced the rear pads and rotors three months ago, and it was pretty straight forward. Atlantic British has a good video, that is a useful supplement to the material posted in this thread.

The adjustment wheel to back off the rear shoes inside the drum is easily rotated with a screwdriver via the access port. I don't remember which direction you have to rotate it. I used trial and error. If you are rotating in the wrong direction, the shoes will lock against the drum and you will realize this when you can no longer move the rotor/drum. If that is the case, just rotate the adjustment wheel in the opposite direction until it will no longer move. At this point the rotor/drum should spin freely and you can attempt to remove the rotor. I think I used a dead blow hammer to break the rotor free.

The procedure for correctly adjusting the parking brake is stated in the AB video. If I remember correctly, you rotate the adjustment wheel till you can no longer spin the rotor, then turn the adjustment wheel in the opposite direction for 5 or so clicks. (It is important that you look up the correct number--don't use my guess of 5 or you may damage the EPB).

The bedding in procedure is just a matter of applying the EPB while driving at 15-20 mph.

Banned
    FCPEuro also sells parts for RRS including brembo brand for SC model. Not affiliated - I know these guys from all DIY with my X5. They are in Connecticut and everything comes pretty much next day to NY.

FRESHMAN ROVER

In the British Atlantic video they use a Manual Hand Impact Driver. Does anyone have a recommendation on what impact driver to use?

I ended up breaking 2 T50 sockets before the 3rd one was able to remove the bolt holding the rotor in place.

All is well and with the exception of that one bolt the job would have taken ~20 per wheel thanks to the great instructions on this thread.
    2006 RRS Bonatti Gray
    2008 RRS S/C Alaska White

FRESHMAN ROVER

umbertob - Thanks for posting the factory pdf's for many of the brake related procedures.

Can you post two that are not in this thread?

Front Disk Replacement and Rear Disc Brake Toque Specs?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by randomdevice View Post
    In the British Atlantic video they use a Manual Hand Impact Driver. Does anyone have a recommendation on what impact driver to use?

I ended up breaking 2 T50 sockets before the 3rd one was able to remove the bolt holding the rotor in place.

All is well and with the exception of that one bolt the job would have taken ~20 per wheel thanks to the great instructions on this thread.
    Just ran into this weekend... one side took 25 mins, the other side took an hour and a half because I had to drill out that ****ed bolt.

I ended up buying this set from rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....441594&jsn=386

FRESHMAN ROVER

Has anyone used hella pagid pads on S/C? I just found this website called FCPeuro where you have lifetime warranty even on wear items like pads and rotors where after you use them up you send them in and they give you new ones free of charge. Kind of seems like to good to be true but they have nothing but good reviews from what I have seen. But anyways back to the question anyone?

2012 RRS Supercharged

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes I have, A little bit of a squeal from time to time, great bite though, usual amount of dust, but most of the time a quiet pad with a great bite!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sweet, yeah not a lot of people here talk about about the pagid.. past year I’ve had Delphi and now that they are almost done they squeak like crazy and barley any braking out of them. Do you also have OEM Land Rover rotors?

2012 RRS S/C

FRESHMAN ROVER

I switch up the rotors, never buying the cheapest ones, but also never buying the dealer's $300+ ones.
    I'm been getting parts from FCPeuro for some time now (for my audis before the rovers) good site.
    I'm found that the pagid pads are quieter when I keep them clean - power washing them more often -
    No just running the rover thru a car wash - but getting in there and really washing out the brakes/dust. (dos peso)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now