Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C

Re: Need Brakes @ 22.5k for 08 S/C

I'm an idiot. Yes I am, though the dealer is saying I just need pads and they don't turn the rotors (per LR). Doesn't sit well with me, so I might just do everything.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

You may not need rotors the first go 'round--can you check yours with a measuring caliper? The wear limit is 27mm, the new one is 30mm, so if you're halfway...you're OK.

Hey, if you do the front pads only, it would take you ~30mins per side including jacking up. Its very easy to do the pads only. Just be careful extracting the driver side sensor

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Yeah, I know ...I'm at 42k, and I am assuming I'm ~halfway through the rotors. I would just hate to have a problem with shimmy or something if I didn't get them turned or replaced all together you know? Now you got me thinking of just doing the pads.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

So if pads only and ordering from BA, I would only need the following? It looks like they contain the new caliper bolts with threadlock.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500010GK.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500140GK.cfm

EDIT: Sensors too, but mine haven't gone off yet.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Since you guys brought up the pad wear sensors, while browsing the procedure for the MY2010 on the workshop manual - very similar to the 2006-2009s otherwise - I noticed that LR now requires shops to replace both front and rear sensors along with the pads, whether they have been triggered or not. And they are still a PITA to disconnect (the connector is under the wheel well liner.)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleE
    Yeah, I know ...I'm at 42k, and I am assuming I'm ~halfway through the rotors. I would just hate to have a problem with shimmy or something if I didn't get them turned or replaced all together you know? Now you got me thinking of just doing the pads.
    Btw, you're very light on the brakes if you got 42K out of the stock pads.

If it confuses you even more, I probably did not need to change mine but since I was doing the write up I took one for the team.

If you're gonna do the front pads, just double check the back as well. You definitely don't need a rotor replacement back there the first time though.

Also, if you do the front pads only do one step I did not do in my write-up...just deglaze the old rotors with some steel wool or something so you don't get squealing.

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Since you guys brought up the pad wear sensors, while browsing the procedure for the MY2010 on the workshop manual - very similar to the 2006-2009s otherwise - I noticed that LR now requires shops to replace both front and rear sensors along with the pads, whether they have been triggered or not. And they are still a PITA to disconnect (the connector is under the wheel well liner.)
    Interesting...and that's not the case on the -06-09? I can see that probably being a good practice at the dealer. A comeback probably ruins the 150% gross margin on the brake job . I think the plastic on the sensor probably gets brittle from the heat over time and I woulda done it...if it wasn't such a chore on the front.

I've got an additional 8K on my old front sensor since my brake job and so far so good.

And they still couldn't change the location? jeez.

So if pads only and ordering from BA, I would only need the following? It looks like they contain the new caliper bolts with threadlock.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500010GK.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500140GK.cfm

EDIT: Sensors too, but mine haven't gone off yet.
    Yup that's all--the OEM pads come w everything.

All you need is some high temp brake grease, and the tools--c-clamp, wrenches, etc.

P.S. I would get the two sensors...just in case. You will likely need them on the third go round if you don't break them off the first time due to the brittle plastic issue. Also, if you do front and rears, do the rear first to get a feel for how the sensor pulls out--if you break that one its a lot easier to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey
    Interesting...and that's not the case on the -06-09?
    Right, on 06-09s the workshop manual tells you to be careful when removing the sensor, blah blah... But that replacement is required only if it has been activated: https://rangerovers.net/forum/download/file.php?id=3326

P.S. I would get the two sensors...just in case.
    Livin' on the edge...I didn't order them.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

P.S. I would get the two sensors...just in case.
    Livin' on the edge...I didn't order them.
    3E, what Hans Rey is to mtn biking...

Then make sure the floor is clean and clear under the brake when you pull the sensor--there's a very small copper clip shaped like a horseshoe that tends to stay behind or fall out. If it falls out easily, you'll need to rebend it a bit tighter with your fingers to get it to stay on when putting the sensor back in.

3E - you can turn your rotors. I did mine in the 40k+ range. Its a composite rotor, LR and most high end car dealers prefer to have a new one put on, rather than the liability of having it turned. You can take it to a local shop and have it done.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

3E, what Hans Rey is to mtn biking...
    Then make sure the floor is clean and clear under the brake when you pull the sensor--there's a very small copper clip shaped like a horseshoe that tends to stay behind or fall out. If it falls out easily, you'll need to rebend it a bit tighter with your fingers to get it to stay on when putting the sensor back in.
    Cool, kind of similar scenario on the 325i I think, and I just did those, so hopefully I can Hans Rey it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco_TX_RRS
    3E - you can turn your rotors. I did mine in the 40k+ range. Its a composite rotor, LR and most high end car dealers prefer to have a new one put on, rather than the liability of having it turned. You can take it to a local shop and have it done.
    Good to know, thanks Frisco.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

I did front pads a few weeks ago. Very simple to do on an HSE. But I broke the wear sensor trying to remove it. The light had been on for a few weeks and I ordered a new sensor.
    Rather than fight to install it, I took a resistance measurement of the new sensor which showed an almost zero ohm. I don't know if there's anything else to the impedance(inductive or capacitive), but is the sensor just basically a wire that breaks when it wears down?? I decided to just solder the ends together on the existing sensor. The light went out and things seem normal. Does that seem right??

I check my brakes on a regular basis, so I'm not worried about the sensor going off.
    2006 RRS, 2005 GranSport, 1965 Sprite, 1959 Giuilietta Sprint, 1935 MG P-Lester

Yup, that's basically all the wear sensor is: A wire loop. When it breaks the circuit opens up and there goes the light.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now