Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes - Page 9
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

Premium Member

Re: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

Did you have the vent tube cap replaced along with the differential, to prevent the unit from pressurizing and causing seal leaks?
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RoverGuy7 View Post
    Did you have the vent tube cap replaced along with the differential, to prevent the unit from pressurizing and causing seal leaks?
    This I didn't know about. Would that have been standard practice by the dealership when replacing the differential entirely? Is it something I can easily do myself?
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind View Post
    This I didn't know about. Would that have been standard practice by the dealership when replacing the differential entirely? Is it something I can easily do myself?
    Should be the same as the LR3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thum...hp?album=23952

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

It should be standard practice, however it usually isn't, and yeah, same as LR3.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by RoverGuy7 View Post
    It should be standard practice, however it usually isn't, and yeah, same as LR3.
    Thanks for the info, guys - let me make sure I'm crystal clear here. This 'breather cap' is already on my vehicle, but is likely clogged - so I have to cut the tube @ a 45 and install this new Goretex breather element?

That about right?
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

tlt
    FRESHMAN ROVER

That's correct....

PM me for diffs and diff parts information.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am looking into changing my rear diff due to the whining noise as well. My 06 RR SC only has 33k on it but I have taken it into the dealer and had both fluids changed and found the whining noise still is there. He of course gave me a price of 3700.00 to replace the rear diff... LOL... Which is why I will most likely be doing it myself. I have found a couple places online that sell rebuilt ones for 1200.00 but what I don't know is do I have limited slip or not? Any way to look at the diff and tell?

Also anyone know of a good place to buy rebuilt rear diffs from?

Mike.

FORUM MODERATOR

Check your wheel bearings first...they are more likely to wear out before the diffs.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnson68 View Post
    Any way to look at the diff and tell?
    Most cars don't--see the very 1st page of this thread.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Is there a breather cap/filter for the rear diff too that needs to be replaced?
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

I want to reopen this topic.

I never did get to the Gore-tex filter element when it was last talked about; there were lots of other tire, bearing and suspension fiascos to deal with in the meanwhile.

The smell of a hot fluid still comes through the vents when the fan is on after a couple of minutes of driving, and persists for about 10 minutes before disappearing. I have yet to track it down, which is why I want to solicit some opinions. Based upon knowing what burning oil smells like, and what coolant smells like, I'd like to eliminate those; I don't think the smell is that.

I have read that gear oil getting hot/burning smells sulphurish. It's not that. In fact, I located that dif vent, and it appears that the Stealer simply cut off the cap (the top of the tube is just open - I'm assuming for prudence/contamination it probably shouldn't, but it's not an Earth-shattering deal, correct?).

So what fluids could get hot and send fumes through the HVAC system? It's not linked to use of AC; this happens when the fan draws air into the cabin, regardless of temp setting, and regardless if ECON is lit. I don't know what burning brake fluid smells like, but it seems to me that the only possibilities are brake, refrigerant or transmission fluid (is transfer case fluid a version of tranny fluid?).

This smell is pungent. It's 'earthy', and fairly acrid. Not rotten egg; not burning oil.

Anyone have any ideas? Where do the transmission and transfer case vent lines conclude?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I just purchased 3 quarts of mobile 1 75-90 full synthetic for my front transfer unit and rear-end. 06 Range Rover sport hse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now