Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

re: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

I agree, let it get worse unless its leaking a lot.

IIRC I paid around $1800 for a non-locking rear diff (= front diff) at the dealer--not sure what a new one costs but no reason to buy a new one. They should have plenty on the shelf so no need to worry about backorder issues. I'm just going from memory here but I think labor is about 5 hrs + whatever incidentals (fluids, etc) so you're looking at something north of $2.5K and south of $3K at the dealer.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am starting to fear this issue although lets chalk it up to paranoia.

I am starting to hear, for a lack of a better term, a "whining" noise upon acceleration at around maybe 35-40 mph. Could this be a symptom of a differential issue? If I let off my foot off the gas pedal then the said noise dissappears.

Now my tires are a bit on the low threshold of the wear bars so possibly it may be the tires. If indeed the tires are causing the noise, shouldn't it be irrelevant whether my foot is on/off the pedal correct to make a noise?

Anyhow, I am scheduled to change the tires soon and hopefully this noise goes away.
    |'07 Java Black L320 HSE |
    |'12 Santorini Black L322 SC|

If its not been invented already, I'd like to invent a tiny wireless microphone that you can adhere to the front and rear diffs, wheel bearings as well as anywhere on the body to diagnose these things.

There's probably an iPhone app for that already??

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just had my front DIFF replaced on my 06 with 38k miles!! It ate a bearing and was whining bad. I could hear it through the shift lever and initially took it in for a transmission noise. $2.5K later i got it back.
    Thank God for the extended warranty! The nose got worse after the front DIFF was replaced and now its in for a new T-case as it has now eaten a bearing and is where the whining noise is coming from. $3.8K for this trip to the dealer. Once again Thank God for extended warranty.
    Only bad news is that there supposedly isn't a T-case in the world and its on back order, so I'm driving a whining RRS for awhile unti one is built for me
    By the time I'm finished figuring out the whining noise Im bound to have a complete new drivetrain on a RRS that only has 41K miles.
    Just thought I would share my experiences with whining noises!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey bizdack did you find out anything about the noise I am experiencing the same issue at exactly 35 to 40, it is more of a howling smooth noise, I feel like it is from the engine, the noise disappears once I let go of the gas.
    06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    10 Infiniti fx 35

FORUM MODERATOR

Check tire wear first...any cupping or feathering will produce something similar to that...chances are greater it's the tires wearing vs. the diff wearing.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have lowered my car with lowering links but have not gotten the wheels realigned yet, but would the noise still be from the tires even though once I take my leg of the accelerator it goes away?
    06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    10 Infiniti fx 35

FORUM MODERATOR

Try putting it in neutral and coasting to see if you hear the noise as well...but yes, feathering or cupping can create that same time of whirring noise. How many miles on the existing set of tires?
    PJPR

Quote Originally Posted by CHAIRLIFT View Post
    Just had my front DIFF replaced on my 06 with 38k miles!! It ate a bearing and was whining bad. I could hear it through the shift lever and initially took it in for a transmission noise. $2.5K later i got it back.
    Thank God for the extended warranty! The nose got worse after the front DIFF was replaced and now its in for a new T-case as it has now eaten a bearing and is where the whining noise is coming from. $3.8K for this trip to the dealer. Once again Thank God for extended warranty.
    Only bad news is that there supposedly isn't a T-case in the world and its on back order, so I'm driving a whining RRS for awhile unti one is built for me
    By the time I'm finished figuring out the whining noise Im bound to have a complete new drivetrain on a RRS that only has 41K miles.
    Just thought I would share my experiences with whining noises!
    I feel bad for those guys who ponied up and got the RRS when new in 2006. LR should've really had more quality control, I mean paint/coating that falls apart inside the diff case? How did an engineer not catch that?
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by joeynahlous View Post
    Hey bizdack did you find out anything about the noise I am experiencing the same issue at exactly 35 to 40, it is more of a howling smooth noise, I feel like it is from the engine, the noise disappears once I let go of the gas.
    Hi Joey,

I just replaced the tires so as a process of elimination, this howling smooth noise you refer to is like a turbocharger sound? Well the sound I heard weren't from the tires afterall! I just came from an 8 hour one-way trip to Mont-Tremblant and back this weekend. Going up to Quebec, I was really annoyed with the sound when driving in the 60-80mph range.

Here's the kicker, the homebound leg of the trip, the noise wasn't as annoying as when we were going to Canada. It's not that I got used to it as that's pretty much the bulk of what I did, trying to analyze where the sound could possibly be coming from!

I am starting to think at first that it may be the wheel bearings but now I am leaning towards the differential or perhaps the transfer case? In my non-mechanic opinion, the turbocharger like sound only occurs when I press the accelerator and at anything above 35 mph. If I let off it the pedal or when putting the car in Neutral whilst coasting then no sound after all.

Now to give a little history, back in Dec 2010, I had a flat on the rear-passenger tire that couldn't be repaired and since I had the warranty, the tire in question was replaced by my dealer. Considering tires were of different tread depth, could that have contributed to the cause of a premature transfer case or differential wear?

I will be bringing this to the dealer before my extended warranty expires (currently at 49K but past the original mfr warranty of 4 years/50K miles). Got my toes, fingers, eyes and legs crossed on this one.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Verdict is in. The issue is the front differential pinion bearing that is making the noise upon acceleration. A front diff replacement was performed.

FORUM MODERATOR

Would you describe the sound as a somewhat raspy airy sound you hear when accelerating?
    PJPR

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01 View Post
    Would you describe the sound as a somewhat raspy airy sound you hear when accelerating?
    It may be tough to diagnose by sound alone. When mine went on the rear it sounded like a brake shoe dragging/wheel bearing issue. I swore it was a w/b. I think they can sound different depending on how bad it is.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Nice one goose!!

Yes I have to agree on goose that the sound is tough to diagnose. My best description of the sound is like my HSE grew a pair of turbochargers kicking in at 35MPH and up.

This is what my rear dif plug looked like after an oil change last month with only 43,000 miles. i showed this to my rr dealer and they shrugged it off as no big deal. The front had no contamination.

Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes-photo.jpg
    2011 L322 HSE Santorini Black / Tan
    2012 BMW X5M
    2007 Ferrari F430 Coupe. Nero Daytona over Charcoal Leather..under 8,000 miles
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now