Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

re: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

The verdict is in: massive front differential failure. It is at LR Waukesha now; we're awaiting word from the Regional Rep on it.

What they do here is really going to determine if I'm a fan or a mortal enemy from now on...
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Dude, sorry to hear that. Hope things work out.

On a separate but related topic. I'm sitting at 76k miles. Should I have the trans serviced now too? Not sure if this number sounds right. Front and Rear Diff + Xfer case + full transmission service = $1400.

Quote Originally Posted by gkwait View Post
    Dude, sorry to hear that. Hope things work out.

On a separate but related topic. I'm sitting at 76k miles. Should I have the trans serviced now too? Not sure if this number sounds right. Front and Rear Diff + Xfer case + full transmission service = $1400.
    I'm not sure, but that sounds really high (you can do much better at an independent shop).

Here's the outcome: LRNA has agreed to pay for all parts, I just have to pay for labor. That adds up to $700, but I consider this at least relatively fair (fair enough that I'm not going to carpet-bomb every Land Rover site in the world with complaints). They are also providing me an alignment and a rear dif fluid change for a big discount (the rear dif fluid is over $40/qt).

Rear dif service would cost about $155 alone ($42/qt x 2.something quarts + $60 labor). I'm not sure what 'service' on the transfer case or tranny is, but the interval on the rear dif is supposed to be 75K miles (I'm having it done now as a precaution). Front dif service is supposed to be 60K I think.

I would see what it would cost to have all of them serviced somewhere else - you could probably get away with half that cost.

I'm staying with the stealership because of the free parts offer. Gonna take a week to get this done - and they're providing me a loaner vehicle, so it's good enough for me!

Hey Fishy: mine is gonna be in there when you're in - but I won't be (heading to Flo-rida for a long weekend of golf!) You'll know it if you see it!
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind View Post
    The verdict is in: massive front differential failure. It is at LR Waukesha now; we're awaiting word from the Regional Rep on it.

What they do here is really going to determine if I'm a fan or a mortal enemy from now on...
    I have felt your pain. Sorry to hear it.

Be sure to document all your discussions in case you need to take it to a higher authority.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Mensa - glad they are covering your the parts. I know there is a labor rate that is different from Warranty vs peons like us. Also, even if the tech takes 30 minutes to change it, they will charge you the whole specified allowed time, not sure what it is. try and see if you can get the actual labor hours to get a better rate.

Not sure why they are taking a week for this work.

gkwait - are your checking with LR-Frisco. I would suggest you get the parts\fluids from one of the online vendors and taking it there, will be much cheaper. Most of the indy guys will not use fluids you bring in which I thought was interesting, and I did not care too much for the Euro indy guy at Plano Pkwy\Coit. if doing a tranny service - I suggest you do the whole pan and filter, I had too much metal that does not all come out with ajust a drain and fill, so may end up doing this again in the next month or so.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

I guess this is all good timing, then. You head to Florida while your truck gets some work. It's better than leaving it sit at the airport in this cold, icky weather we've seen this past week.

I'll ask Bob if he purposely sabotaged your diff. He'll probably laugh, but then get a little serious thinking, "No sir. I can't break his diff. I'd get in trouble."

Bob told me that I'll have to take your truck out and pound the piss out of it to make sure the diff is working properly. He said I can use yours as my loaner.

I'll look in back for it. I hope I get a Malibu again for a loaner. Hey, at least we get loaners, you know? Good luck with this, and I hope your trip is a blast. Did you notice any odd symptoms before the diff gave way?
    2010 RRS HSE Santorini Black
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali
    2013 Ford Focus ST/ST3 (Track Toy)

Hey, Mensa! I saw your machine. It was sitting off to the side, indoors. It looks like it was waiting for the diff to get there. I told Bob, "Is that the guy who blew his diff?" He said, "How did you know that?" I said, "From the forum! It's he and me representing Wisconsin." He was happy that LR paid for your diff. He thought it was pretty fair. The tech, I didn't catch his name, said it could be from the 2006's that had paint inside the actual case that flakes off. He said they stopped painting them and he rarely sees them. I love that tech. He's got a shaved head. He's good.

Anyway, it's funny. Your car looked like it was newer than the new cars sitting there. Everyone was commenting on what a great job you did with your car. I agree. It looks great! So, your car is in good hands and is sitting in the heated garage, way off to the left. I like those wheels you put on there.
    2010 RRS HSE Santorini Black
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali
    2013 Ford Focus ST/ST3 (Track Toy)

Quote Originally Posted by The Weatherman View Post
    Hey, Mensa! I saw your machine. It was sitting off to the side, indoors. It looks like it was waiting for the diff to get there. I told Bob, "Is that the guy who blew his diff?" He said, "How did you know that?" I said, "From the forum! It's he and me representing Wisconsin." He was happy that LR paid for your diff. He thought it was pretty fair. The tech, I didn't catch his name, said it could be from the 2006's that had paint inside the actual case that flakes off. He said they stopped painting them and he rarely sees them. I love that tech. He's got a shaved head. He's good.

Anyway, it's funny. Your car looked like it was newer than the new cars sitting there. Everyone was commenting on what a great job you did with your car. I agree. It looks great! So, your car is in good hands and is sitting in the heated garage, way off to the left. I like those wheels you put on there.
    Thank you, sir!

I just talked to Bob today; I guess the new differential is in transit, due to arrive tomorrow morning (and then get installed same day).

They've given me a Mazda 6 to drive for the week. By the sounds of it, there's a hive of pissed off bees under the hood.

I'm due to get my Sport back either tomorrow night, or Thursday.

I'm having them change the rear diff fluid as well, even though it's before the recommended interval. I agree with the tech: the dif likely failed because of delaminating paint. The problem is that the rear dif has the same paint, and I'm hoping I can avert a problem by replacing the (ungodly expensive) fluid.

See ya 'round!

Mike

FRESHMAN ROVER

I took my 2007 RRS for 82500 miles service yesterday and told about humming noise I have been hearing for a while. At first they didn't even hear it, but was just called back that now they do. Service guy says that they are 80% sure that it is coming from front differential. He said that it is about $3K to get it fixed, but that I shouldn't worry about it right now. He said that I should just keep driving and if it gets worse, then bring it back in. I am not sure when my front differential oil was changed last time. Should I ask them to change it anyways? What do you guys think. Should I get it fixed? Is there anything I should do or ask them to do?

I would make sure they rule out the 20% chance that it is not a much cheaper front wheel bearing first.

It won't hurt to have the fluid changed as a hail mary play, if it is the front diff.

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Crap - so I just realized the 2008 RRS Supercharged is BELOW this vin range. So this means I have the stupid black paint that will ruin my diff also (I already went thru this on an 05 HSE LR3). ANyone having this diff issue on 2008 RRS? I had thought it was really just 2005 / 2006 / early 2007's before now.

---------
    Please only raise an EPQR for differential issues which occur post the quoted VIN numbers:

Discovery 3 LR3 - LA8A459201
    Range Rover Sport - LS8A141510
    Range Rover. LM8A268394

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks goosey for the reply.

How would you isolate what is causing the humming noise? It is speed related. I mean that faster you go the louder it gets. I am not sure if you are able to hear it by just turning the wheel. If bearing is worn out there is probably some play if you try to shake the wheel?

When my front passenger wheel hub went bad (the bearings are built in, when they go the whole hub needs replacement), the sound was definitely more like a high pitched screech / squeal than a progressively louder humming noise. With the front windows closed I could not hear it at all. As I drove with windows open near a concrete traffic divider or other cars the noise would reverberate back into the cabin and become very noticeable, less so as the speed increased, and virtually disappeared above 40 mph. Not all bearings fail the same way of course, but based on your description I'd be more inclined to agree with your dealer's assessment. Are they quoting you for a new or a remanufactured unit?

Its funny, what Umberto described above was exactly how my rear diff pinion bearing failure sounded. I could not hear it in the car with the windows closed, but with the rear windows open, it was very noticeable...sounded like a pb brake shoe dragging with a slight screeching--no humming.

Among the last 3 SUV vehicles I've owned, if I add up the roughly 500K miles I've collectively put on them I've had 8 wheel bearing failures (none so far on the RRS @70K)and 1 differential failure (the RRS @52K). So it's been my general experience for most cars their differentials are pretty sturdy--except for the RRS. Based on this site and my own experience asking the dealer how often the diffs fail on the '06-09, I conclude the RRS diffs don't hold up well--either by leaking at the seals or downright failure. So its a very good place to start.

That said, 7 out of the 8 wheel bearing failures sounded like I had installed M/T tires--i.e.,humming that got louder and changed frequency with increasing speed. Unlike Umberto though, I never had one that screeched. The 1 out of 8 failure was more a grinding noise like sand was in the bearing. The humming variety was very noticeable in the cabin. Of those, half passed the push-me pull-me tests on the lift. If all 4 pass a lift check, it can be very difficult to figure out which bearing it is purely by sound (I actually replaced the wrong bearing once ).

There are obviously things your mechanic can see or do with the car up on the lift that give them the confidence that it is one not the other. Just wanted to make sure you rule out a w/b before plunking down a good chunk of change on a new diff. As traumatic as spending $400 to replace the wrong wheel bearing once was for me, I think I would be checking into a clinic if I spent $2-3K to replace a diff only to find out it was a w/b.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks guys!

He is only talking about parts and labor being total somewhere at $3K range. So they are not usually fixing the differential, but replacing it? Does the $3K sound about right or how much does it usually go for? I can hear it with windows closed. For me it sounds very noticeable, but it took for a while for them to hear it. It is constant noise that only varies with the speed. If you have not heard the truck before, you could think that it is not anything uncommon. They are not recommending to do anything right now. Only if it gets worse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now