Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

re: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey
    Thanks Umberto! I guess now that warranties are coming off the 1st generation, we'll prolly see more repair questions come up.

Just like the P-38 board

It'll be nice to see more technical and less bling.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco_TX_RRS
    Goosey, do let me know when you remove the LR plugs if you see metal fragments attaracted to it and if the Miata plugs fits there - but I doubt it. There is a magnet you can buy that gets adhered with adhesive that holds up to hight heat. Will try and get you the details when I find it.

Also, if you decide to drain, and want it tested, you can use my staveley account. Curious to see what these tests come back with in comparison to mine. Bought 3oz liquid proof bottles from the Container store.
    Frisco, both the drain plugs on my '08 are magnetic per my mechanic. There were metal fragments attached to both. The back being more "furry" than the front. Likewise the oil was black in the back and only slightly lighter in the front.

There was bit of confusion regarding saving some the used oil with the mechanic so I did not get any to test this go around--he thought I meant saving what's left of the new oil . Sorry.

I believe the Service manual specs changing both diffs [email protected], but I'm glad I did it here @30K.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

NP GooseyLoosey - good to know they use a magnetic plug. Even though my engine oil pan has a magnetic plug, I've attached a magnetic to that as well - may do one to my transmission as well, doubt I can do this on the diff.

I usually take 3oz liquid tight bottles (labelled) from Container Store and have them fill up with fluids they extract. Just curious what my oils come back with.

I've consistently seen higher levels of Iron and Silicon in my Engine oil. I know the Silicon could be dure to the engine block molds, but that should have disspated by now.

I too intend doing the diffs & tarnsfer box at 30k going fwd and the transmission at 60K. Another change I may do is the spark plugs - rather than having to go till 100k+ and potentailly seizing up and loosing efficiency, change mine between 60k-70K
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

The humming noise had been getting louder, which I thought was the Coopers getting worn down (50%) and the cold temp making them harder and nosier. Happened last year too, but the howling was there when I tried the Yoko Parada's, not as bad earlier this year though, and decided to live with the noise thinking its the size of the tire. Gradually it's been getting worse. Took it into the dealer to check for bearing or rear diff issues They stated it was the rear diff and will be getting it replaced under my extended warranty. When I changed all my diff and transfer case fluids at 50K the oil report did state there was extensive wear metals, so I am thinking that it was a matter of time before it went. I'm at 85k now, and will be replacing my front diff and transfer case fluids. Will take a sample of those two and see now bad that has become over 35k miles.

Hey Frisco, sorry to hear you've joined the blown rear diff club. That noise is the main pinion shaft bearing blowing up. I have an inkling that there is an issue with this bearing and it's not just a one off failure here and there.

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Thanks Goosey - 1 club I did not want to join, but glad I got intiiated before my warranty was over. So will the replacement of just the diff do it the trick or is there more to this fix in your opinion, short of selling it before 160k.

There's no other fix I know of unless you have access to a trans shop that would be willing to replace the bearing for you with some sort of upgraded one, if that's even possible. And I'm not sure if the bearing is weak or they were not aligned properly at the factory, or its something else. I had my diff replaced with a rebuilt one, and 15K later all is ok... so far. I just know that pinion bearings should last more than 50K.

Somewhat related, a leaky rear diff pinion oil seal may be replaced without renewing the entire differential assembly (which was apparently the recommended procedure prior to this TSB being issued.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guys:

I had a major failure last night. I'm not sure what it is yet - I haven't crawled under the vehicle - but it's not good.

On the freeway, I felt a 'pop', and felt the truck lurch. A humming/groaning vibration immediately started from what felt like the front end. This was late at night, and it was very cold last night, so I - 10 miles from home - kept driving. The vibration and noise increased and decreased with speed, but didn't seem to get appreciably worse the remaining 10 miles. Definitely sounded like a gear or bearing whine, though - along with the matching modest vibration (like driving on a well-worn rumble warning strip).

When I pulled into my garage and got out, I could immediately smell something like burning oil - or oil hitting an exhaust manifold. Looking under the truck, the undercarriage on the driver's half of center right behind the front axle line was soaking with oil. I reached under to get a finger-full, and it was heavy viscosity, and quite black (but not completely; it was honey-colored on the edges of the smudge on my finger - almost like the black was fine particulate in suspension).

Engine wasn't making noise; running very smoothly in neutral, and at idle. No warning lights. I'm thinking some form of catastrophic failure of the front dif (is it biased to the driver's side? I haven't yet looked) - but would I get a thorough soaking of dif fluid? I would have thought that a bearing goes, and it stays dry outside, but that is not the case right now.

Some background: a couple of months ago, I noticed a very slight leak in the dif: it seemed as though the dif seal (which looks like light blue silicon IIRC) was failing a bit. About a month later, I would notice an odor coming through the vents as the truck heated up (akin to some fluid modestly dripping on a heated exhaust pipe, for instance) - but it really didn't have the typical engine oil smell: it was more musky (looking around, I couldn't see anything dripping on anything). It seemed to dissipate over the last couple of weeks, so I stopped thinking about it).

I'm afraid to go out there this morning to assess. I have just over 50K miles now, and this shouldn't be happening, particularly with how I baby this truck. Anyone have notions regarding what could have happened? What sources of fluid would be getting the frame members wet just behind the front tire, and on the left (US driver's) side of the engine?
    Last edited by IMMensaMind; January 15th, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

FORUM MODERATOR

Hhmm...have to say this sounds like front diff fluid...but on the off chance, I'd still check to see if your oil filter came loose, and also the power steering (pinkish normally). Bummer though if it's truly the diff...let's know the update? Taking it to LR Waukesha?
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Oh man. Sorry, Mensa. That's not good. Not good at all. Hey, maybe I'll see you at JLR Waukesha this upcoming week. I come in on Wednesday.

I'm actually thinking of taking mine to that indy shop in Glendale if I ever need my brakes done.

I really hope everything turns out okay with yours. I know you have that thing looking really nice. It's a lesson to some of us to get that diff fluid replaced before it's recommended. Did you do yours already before this happened? Hopefully it can be replaced easily and not be a huge burden to your pocketbook.

(Yes, I'm writing this at work. Sports is on.)
    2010 RRS HSE Santorini Black
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali
    2013 Ford Focus ST/ST3 (Track Toy)

If it smells like sulfur its diff fluid.

I don't think its an issue of changing out the fluid sooner than recommended. I think the diffs in these cars (paint issues aside) are a hit or miss. A Dana 44 will go 250,000 miles without blowing up.

Good luck Mensa - sometimes at that speed, an oil drops spreads further backward than the source - check around, hopefully its it not the diff and something less expensive. Looking at diagrams, the front diff is more orientated to the drivers side.

After my rear was diff replaced - the beast sounds better, just the sweet sound of the Zeons now. BTW I saw the invoice to replace the rear diff, they thought I was paying it, and it was $1800++. TAfter mentioning it was under warranty and they charged the extended warranty folks, amount was $1500++.

Coming up to time to replace my fornt difff fluids and transfer case fluids .... will be doing another oil analysis to see what kind of wear I've been getting.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mensa, I hope it is not your front diff. Notwithstanding what Frisco said above, if I remember correctly when I replaced mine, most of the assembly is to the passenger side not the driver's side of the vehicle (the thing weighs about 80lbs) A distinct possibility is that you ripped the boot on your driver's side half-shaft and that from contamination/lack of grease the CV joint inside the boot failed. This is easy enough to check just by turning the steering wheel all the way to the right and looking behind the driver's side wheel at the boot, to see if it is torn and there is grease slung everywhere. I hope this is the case, because it is a much, much cheaper and easier fix.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Not that I am completely mechanically challenged, after reading through this thread it got me a little worried. I happened to find a highly recommended Rover mechanic in Lewisville (makes sense that he owns the shop and drives a nice Disco himself and there were about 4 other Discos in the shop when I stopped by), so I stopped by today and inquired about the diffs and transfer case. I plan on dropping it off sometime this week to have him take a look and replace the fluids. I hear what sounds like a small howling noise, and I suspect it is coming from the diffs. Frisco's posts about the shavings, etc. got me worried.

Hopefully all is well, and I can enjoy my new wheels and tires in a few weeks at Barnwell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now