2009 RRS SC Humming noise.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2009 RRS SC Humming noise.

Banned

2009 RRS SC Humming noise.

Hi guys, my RRS makes humming noise, not continuous but rather ahm-ahm-ahm-ahm, most prominent at 25-28 mph.
    If someone had similar issue resolved or have an idea please chip in.
    Lets exclude few items:
    Lower control arms new
    Toe Rods new
    Wheel Bearing are new
    Active sway assembly is new
    Michelin Latitude tires are new
    Wheel alignment is done
    There are few theories:
    -Brake rotor has a side play and catches on a pad.
    -Rim has lateral damage/defect '
    -Something to do with front drive shaft (this idea was developed by LR Mechanic)
    I hear/feel that ahm-ahm rather on the vehicle floor, pedals, not a steering wheel, vould not replicate it driving it in the lift wheels in the air.
    Guys, thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2009 RRS SC Humming noise.

99% chance is one of the differential
    Mine does the same from like 37 to 42mph

If its the front one use thicker fluid 75-140 or 80-140 and the whining gonna be much less noticeable

If your rear diff its the electronic one and is the one making the noise use the recommended fluid, dont use anything else

Banned

Fluids are new OEM in both differntials + In transfer + In Tranny. May I ask you, since I have differentials covered by warranty, how can I scientifically prove that it is a differential making noise?
    Is it common for differential noise not to be continuous? I thought things like diff, they just humm continuously...
    Thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Not a mechanic but yeah differentials some time only make noise at certain speeds
    One of most known big issues with these cars are the differentials

You can put thicker oil in the front diff and if the humming is less noticeable you know for sure

Banned

Guys, thanks for your input.
    SO here is the plan:
    -So far, both new wheel bearings had been replaced (and that was necessary, they looked bad so I am glad I did it) Indy Mechanic $280 per side Part+Labor, Takes about 1hr per side.
    -I will get my rotors resurfaced tomorrow just to exclude them (I know it is not recommended but the point is to troubleshoot the humming) Pads are still good but steering wheel shakes slightly on 70-80 mph if brake just touched on. I will use these rotors till pads are worn and then throw the whole thing new OEM.
    -Will install new OEM Rims as mentioned above, left one has a sided to side play and that can't be good. I picked up a pair of brand new Original LR STORMER rims @ $340 ea. Even though I don't feel any effect from that rim but it can't be harmless and I would like to protect my investment ( new control arms, toe rods, struts, bearings.
    If noise does not go away, there, pretty much nothing left but differential but I get mixed opinions on that... while everything is possible, my LR tech says that it is unlikely a diff and as far as i remember helping my father overhauling engines and fixing cars in general, in my early teens, differential would humm constantly, more or less prominent depends on speed but it would hummmmmmm not ahm-ahm-ahm
    I will post results of this quest over the weekend.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Was the humming there before wheel
    Bearing change ? What bearing did he use for $280 ? If cheap Chinese - could still be the problem. I,d get some vacuum hose - try and tape/attach one end to the diff - carefully route it through engine bay with zip tie as needed and put the other end through the window and use as stethoscope on quick drive to see if you can confirm if that is where noise is coming from ... You might also be able to carefully route it to the caliper / bearing area and do the same test ...

How did old diff fluid look ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman D View Post
    Fluids are new OEM in both differntials + In transfer + In Tranny. May I ask you, since I have differentials covered by warranty, how can I scientifically prove that it is a differential making noise?
    Is it common for differential noise not to be continuous? I thought things like diff, they just humm continuously...
    Thank you.
    Differentials in these are tricky I have found. I have replaced my rear once, and replaced the front 3 times. My front differential would not be constantly noisy, but it would only be noticeable over varying loads.
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC - Santorini Black with Ebony Interior (sold)
    2017 Range Rover Sport HSE - Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus Interior

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
    Was the humming there before wheel
    Bearing change ? What bearing did he use for $280 ? If cheap Chinese - could still be the problem. I,d get some vacuum hose - try and tape/attach one end to the diff - carefully route it through engine bay with zip tie as needed and put the other end through the window and use as stethoscope on quick drive to see if you can confirm if that is where noise is coming from ... You might also be able to carefully route it to the caliper / bearing area and do the same test ...

How did old diff fluid look ?
    Good idea! But The whole thing will be a lot more neat with Blue tooth, say, take a phone1 with bluetooth, place bluetooth where needed and call phone 1 from your own phone, the whole sound thing can be listened on car's sound system..

How did old diff fluid look ?[/QUOTE] >>> Now you've got me thinking, fluids were not so bad, one was dirtier than other and cleaner one was like new... I will ask a mechanic if he remembers which one was dirtier and may be do the thing with bluetooth.

Banned

Yeah, the humming was there before new bearing went in, that was the whole ordeal - I am trying to pin-point the problem. They were bad and I glad we replaced them. I will look and post later what was the bearing's brand.
    To continue with my search, I'd like to note that Re-Surfacing front rotors did not make any difference, replacing front rims with brand new OEM ones did not make any difference. The front driveshaft was inspected for proper installation and is OK.
    So... Looks like nothing left but Differential
    By the way, Mr. CapeCod, you mentioned that you had to replace 3 front differentials? Over what period of time/mileage? New ? OEM? parts were used? I trying to figure out which way to go or not should I replace mine.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman D View Post
    Yeah, the humming was there before new bearing went in, that was the whole ordeal - I am trying to pin-point the problem. They were bad and I glad we replaced them. I will look and post later what was the bearing's brand.
    To continue with my search, I'd like to note that Re-Surfacing front rotors did not make any difference, replacing front rims with brand new OEM ones did not make any difference. The front driveshaft was inspected for proper installation and is OK.
    So... Looks like nothing left but Differential
    By the way, Mr. CapeCod, you mentioned that you had to replace 3 front differentials? Over what period of time/mileage? New ? OEM? parts were used? I trying to figure out which way to go or not should I replace mine.
    Thank you.
    The first replacement lasted about 8k miles. The next one lasted about 5k miles. The third one that they put in lasted 20 miles, so I drove it and just brought it back. I was told they were new units, but my guess would be that they were remans. I got mine back last week and it is as quiet as a mouse, so I am pleased.
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC - Santorini Black with Ebony Interior (sold)
    2017 Range Rover Sport HSE - Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus Interior

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now