Shocking Video of 2010 RRS SC vs 2009 RRS SC
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Video of 2010 RRS SC vs 2009 RRS SC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Shocking Video of 2010 RRS SC vs 2009 RRS SC

Wow, I am looking to buy a Range Rover Sport SC and I saw this video. I might have to get the 2010 model or hook up my future 09 and under RR SC fast and furious style to catch up to the stock 2010 model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38N4QOgz ... re=related

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Shocking Video of 2010 RRS SC vs 2009 RRS SC

I've seen this vid so I didn't open the link but that's what 100 extra HP will do when everything else remains the same. I mean yeah 500 hp is nice, but nobody needs it and its just part of the HP wars going on right now.

Yup. I love how the new SC squats and continues to squat while accelerating. The old SC just squats and then stands back up.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ukraine Range
    I've seen this vid so I didn't open the link but that's what 100 extra HP will do when everything else remains the same. I mean yeah 500 hp is nice, but nobody needs it and its just part of the HP wars going on right now.
    Weren't you asking about engine/supercharger specifics regarding lbs of boost the other day? I would assume that you want more power, not the quote "nobody needs it." Come on now..
    - 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    - 2014 BMW i3

Range Rover
    (10 mpg) | BMW i3 (124 mpg) = 1 strange garage

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quite the contrary, I don't want or need any more power in this thing. I was just curious about the engine specifics because that kind of info isn't really discussed too much. People that buy these tend to just buy them and that's it, not knowing too much about the guts of it. Coming from the world of high boost, high HP Mustang Cobra Terminators, I was immediately drawn to, and curious about, the powerplant setup.

As I said, would the 500 bhp be nice to have? Yes, because these things weigh nearly 3 tons, but it's not really necessary in a luxury SUV, especially when the 400 hp 06-09 is very capable. This is not an SUV you race like a Cayenne or SRT8. When you drive a Range Rover, you have nothing to prove and that's a great feeling.

FRESHMAN ROVER

That's a good point. Anyone who wants more speed can always soup their Range up as well.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Smaller pulley, tune, intake and exhaust and 450 hp is easily (and safely) achievable. Though I don't think I'd mess with the ECU of this thing.

FORUM MODERATOR

Smaller pulley, tune, intake and exhaust and 450 hp is easily (and safely) achievable. Though I don't think I'd mess with the ECU of this thing.
    Really? How do you know this is possible?
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

+1 I've yet to see any before and after dyno graphs.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Basic laws of forced induction...you get a smaller pulley which spins the the blower faster and creates more RPM's inside the blower hence more air rammed into the engine. Adjust the a/f to accomodate, let your RRS inhale and exhale better with intake and exahust and that's it : ~40-50 hp.

BTW, that 450 is an estimate, that number will vary based on pulley size and how aggressive you get with a/f and timing. It's the great thing about forced induction engines - it is so easy to add substantial horsepower.

I got the HP 10B II calculator out and...for $365 per additional hp you can get this

http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...engines/12733/

or for $145/hp you can buy a whole brand new 2010 S/C.

Btw Ukraine Range, I would advise you or anyone thinking of using the "spin S/C faster via the underdrive pulley to get more hp" logic, to ask the question why LR did not do so.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FORUM MODERATOR

[quote=Ukraine Range]
    Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ukraine Range":1gtuj3wm
    Basic laws of forced induction...you get a smaller pulley which spins the the blower faster and creates more RPM's inside the blower hence more air rammed into the engine. Adjust the a/f to accomodate, let your RRS inhale and exhale better with intake and exahust and that's it : ~40-50 hp.

BTW, that 450 is an estimate, that number will vary based on pulley size and how aggressive you get with a/f and timing. It's the great thing about forced induction engines - it is so easy to add substantial horsepower.[/quote:1gtuj3wm]

Love how this goes from being a sure thang to now an estimate. Frankly, no one has proven this to be fact yet...so until it's done and dyno'd and has no unintended negative impacts on other parts of the ecosystem, I'll remain a bit of a skeptic. Not saying that the basic physics doesn't suggest this to be the case, but the equation doesn't factor in other anomalies of the engine, which may end up blowing up because they can't handle this increase - for example, valves, rods, cams, lifters etc...

But by all means...let's do a dyno and run it for a year hard and see if it can be done...
    PJPR

The thing is, there have been no graphs to prove anything - only "my butt says 40hp, easy..." What if the intercoolers are heatsoaked with the additional boost? What about the charger itself? Could be out of efficiency range when adding the more boost - compounding the heatsoak issue. The Sport has been out for long enough to have graphs of before and after. If there were decent gains to be had, I would hope we'd have seen them by now; maybe someone will surprise us though.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Its an estimate because you have to factor in pulley size, tune, etc, not because there's a possibility that you won't get significant gains. The bottom line is that you spin the blower faster, you create more boost and as a result more power. That's a fact.

As far as why LR didn't do a smaller pulley, its because they have to protect themselves so they play it way safe, we all know this. Example - my Cobra came with 8-9 lbs of max boost on the stock pulley - after a smaller pulley (went from 3.65" to 2.95") and tune, I was putting out 13-14 lbs of boost and jumped about 40 hp. Another 20 or so hp with intake and exhaust. The Cobra block was tested to 25lbs before it began to explode. That's THREE times the amount of stock boost. I can't verify how the 4.2 will respond exactly to a pulley/tune, but you will gain significant power. Nobody does it because the typical consumer of these 75k vehicles aren't in it to squeeze all the HP they can out of it so there isn't a lot of data to compare. There IS a RRS on eBay with a smaller pulley, but the owner didn't go into any detail about power, graphs, etc.

And lastly, you mention valves, rods, etc not handling the power - with a forged bottom end and with 9.1:1 compression, believe me the 4.2 will handle more boost without issue, its just that again, LR has to protect themselves so as a result they engineer a very, very safe setup. Plus the people spending this kind of money on a car don't want to fool too much with it.

FORUM MODERATOR

Engine life is also an engine with the increased boost...so if you're on a lease, you're not going to screw around with this, if you've bought it for a long time, you don't want to mess it up either...so which customer segment will take this on?

I've seen 1 person on this forum who went and had it down...but again, no dyno...just it "feels" better...

What we need is someone to be willing to sacrifice their RRS for the good of the RR.NET community....any volunteers???
    PJPR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now