Should I buy this 2006 Range Rover Sport? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this 2006 Range Rover Sport?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Should I buy this 2006 Range Rover Sport?

Funny thing is on the Mercedes forums everyone says the G Wagon is a much better quality built car than the Range Rover and is costs less to maintain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I don't see why this would be a problem to wash. Get a step ladder

FORUM MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by mafia005 View Post
    Funny thing is on the Mercedes forums everyone says the G Wagon is a much better quality built car than the Range Rover and is costs less to maintain.
    You are of course correct, and given that you won't be driving many miles, you won't notice the rock hard seats or uncomfortable suspension compared to the RRS...
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Nahhhh, that doesn't sound like anything a person on a Mercedes forum would say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol (teasing of course)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ha ha ha

Banned

I, actually, saw a youtube video, more than one, on RRS reviews/issues from Russia. I mean, they do rebuilt everything and it is a common practice VS here in USA you'd just pick a fresh(er) engine from junk yard and be done with it... Even they say that 2.7TD is not serviceable not rebuildable.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thats what I am afraid of, I can't do all the work my self I would have to take it to service all the time and from so many experiences and reviews on the internet, the Range Rover just seems like a endless money pit.

Banned

Hey. I really don't think you understood what was advised and written in this forum. No one said RR is a money pit or a bad car. They said the engine you want sucks. Not only that the tranny that is paired to the engine you want 2.7 TD is I believe also a time bomb or as I've heard it described "swiss cheese". If you buy the 2.7TD it may be a money pit because the running gear isn't good.

The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar derived engines are much better and the also have a much better transmission. I'm going to write that again. The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar engines are much more reliable along with it's zf 6 speed is much more reliable than the 2.7 TD and tranny.

I believe everyone in this thread has told you to get the Jaguar v8, for a reason. If you want a RRS I would think about that reason carefully. Everyone here has been nice to you and has given you good information it's time for you to consider it versus refute it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the info and for clearing things up. I will definitely keep this in mind from now on as I wasn't aware the 2.7 TD was a time bomb. I was looking to find a more economically friendly Range Rover but it looks like I'll have to scrap that idea. Cheers!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Cliff,

I see you have had a lot of different types of Range Rovers..

Do you have any experience with the 2002 RR 3.0 td6 like seen in this ad:

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rov...oglas-19322277

The mileage is high, I'm not sure if there is any life left in this Rover. Let me know, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Not really relevant but are your choices really between a Range Rover and a G-wagon? Just based on the few Range Rovers you're considering, they don't come near the price of what a used G-wagon is going to cost. Based off the quick search I did, the cheapest G-Wagon I can find is a 2004 with 160k+ miles and it's priced at 29k USD. I'm sure you can find something a little bit cheaper, but they're nowhere in the ballpark of what you've been posting.
    2012 Range Rover HSE Lux - Sumatra Black/Tan
    2006 RRS HSE - Bonatti Grey/Ebony
    2005 Mercedes SLK55 - Mars Red/Ash

Banned

The Jaguar 4.4 is the most reliable engine I know of in a Range Rover imo. I would just get a Jaguar Land Rover 4.4 or 4.2 sc and the 6 speed.

goodluck hunting for your next car. Have you considered a Jeep Wranlger Rubicon Unlimited (4 door version)?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    the tranny that is paired to the engine you want 2.7 TD is I believe also a time bomb or as I've heard it described "swiss cheese". If you buy the 2.7TD it may be a money pit because the running gear isn't good.
    The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar derived engines are much better and the also have a much better transmission. I'm going to write that again. The 4.2 and 4.4 jaguar engines are much more reliable along with it's zf 6 speed is much more reliable than the 2.7 TD and tranny.
    While I agree with the idea, the TDV6 has exactly the same ZF 6HP26 transmission as any other RR Sport or LR3. You confused it with the old BMW TD6 and it's very weak GM transmission from a 1st-gen L322 Full Fat Range Rover that was fitted before the 2nd-gen L322 TDV8 / ZF era. I detail it a little more below...

I see you have had a lot of different types of Range Rovers..
    Do you have any experience with the 2002 RR 3.0 td6 like seen in this ad:
    http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rov...oglas-19322277
    No, he doesn't, unless he lived in Europe. This car was never imported to the US.

This is an M57 3.0 litre turbodiesel engine sourced from BMW, almost the same hardware as in E46 330d and E39 530d, with power lowered to 170 HP instead of 184 or 193 HP respectively and torque limited to 380 Nm. The reason for this was because the GM 5-speed automatic transmission fitted to this engine by BMW and Land Rover had torque limit of 390 Newton meters (later 410 Nm) in RWD applications and due to significantly higher mass and rolling resistance - of just 380 Nm in AWD applications in order to prevent it from rapid desintegration. The gearbox is utter sh..t BTW, and is the most often failing compontent of the 1st gen L322 Full Fat Range Rover.

The engine itself is more or less bulletproof (in this age it may have its share of problems with the injection system, the internal sensors - crank position - sometimes cease to work and probably the BMW-designed secondary fuel pump will need replacing, but the same engine did more then 250k kilometers in my 330d), make sure the swirl flaps in the intake manifold are removed by a garage that knows their way in diesel BMWs. The reason for the longevity of this engine is low power - it actually generates just enough to make the big Range Rover move in a glacial manner. We're talking 13s 0-60 mph. This thing is a cathedral, and just as quick. Yes, you may chiptune it to like 220-230 hp. Then watch your transmission spread all over the place.

In two words: BAD IDEA.

You are certainly looking for the most affordable thing that has a "Range Rover" badge. Please don't.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great thanks everyone for all the advice. Yes the G Wagon is a much more expensive car and I have been considering spending a bit more to get a quality vehicle that I am sure will last many more years to come. But I've also considered buying a Range Ranger since it's a great car, good off-road capabilities plus it's beautiful and a lot cheaper than the G Wagon. The only thing that is stopping me is the bad reliability and complicated system that makes it very vulnerable to a million things going wrong! I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and take it slow before I purchase my next car.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The only thing that is stopping me is the bad reliability and complicated system that makes it very vulnerable to a million things going wrong!
    No. They are very reliable if serviced properly. This has a direct influence on the selling price. There is no such thing like a cheap car with excellent reliability record due to great service history. It's only a matter of price.
    This is true for every car brand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now