Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS - Page 6
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 88 of 88

Thread: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

  1. #76
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    October 5th, 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    480

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Whether you have 19 or 20s, there is a lengthy TSB about steering wheel vibrations affecting RRS between 50 and 70 mph. If the dealer has tried everything else (balancing and tire replacement) and you still experience the vibration, I'm afraid their next logical step would be to replace steering gear. See TSB attached.
    Umberto,

    If your vehicle is out of warranty, is it at costumer expense? Just wondering since it's a TSB.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR umbertob's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    11,013

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Usually TSBs are performed FOC only as long as your factory warranty is effective, after that it's on your dime. If you have an extended warranty in place, then maybe... AFAIK, it would have to be a recall to be honored for free regardless of age and mileage.

  4. #78
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2009
    Posts
    16

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Has anyone had any luck with a solution to their steering wheel vibration? I have a 07 RRS SC that still has the stock Conti's with a bad wheel shimmy/vibration at 55-70mph and I have had all 4 tires road forced balanced and re-checked at an independent shop and still no improvement. I am taking her in to the dealership tomorrow with the TSB from May 2007 and will ask for a new set of tires or the steering rack as new options to investigate but wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck.
    2007 Range Rover Sport SC

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    890

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramp
    Has anyone had any luck with a solution to their steering wheel vibration? I have a 07 RRS SC that still has the stock Conti's with a bad wheel shimmy/vibration at 55-70mph and I have had all 4 tires road forced balanced and re-checked at an independent shop and still no improvement. I am taking her in to the dealership tomorrow with the TSB from May 2007 and will ask for a new set of tires or the steering rack as new options to investigate but wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck.

    This has been an ongoing issue for me for many weeks now. My 08 RRSSC has had just about every front end part replaced, as well as all tires and rims and still vibrates between 40-90+. Goodluck with your dealer visit.

  7. #80
    FRESHMAN ROVER geflackt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2008
    Location
    Eastern PA.
    Posts
    122

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    I was also just about to ask for an update!!

    My '06 RRS had been fine since early summer, but the shakes are back again along with the clunk in the steering when making turns. If I'm on perfectly smooth road, no shakes even all the way to 80mph. If I'm on roads with good size bumps, I really only feel the bumps. But if it's on uneven pavement with slight bumps, the wheels really gets to shaking. I have about 8k miles on Pirelli Scorpions.

    I saw somewhere that the suspension, when working without issues, is described as jiggly. Does this sound right??

    The shakes either feel like shocks/springs are shot, or could a frame mount be shot at the front?? Could the front end shake actually be caused by something at the rear??

    Jason.
    2006 RRS, 2005 GranSport, 1965 Sprite, 1959 Giuilietta Sprint, 1935 MG P-Lester

  8. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    890

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Quote Originally Posted by geflackt
    I was also just about to ask for an update!!

    My '06 RRS had been fine since early summer, but the shakes are back again along with the clunk in the steering when making turns. If I'm on perfectly smooth road, no shakes even all the way to 80mph. If I'm on roads with good size bumps, I really only feel the bumps. But if it's on uneven pavement with slight bumps, the wheels really gets to shaking. I have about 8k miles on Pirelli Scorpions.

    I saw somewhere that the suspension, when working without issues, is described as jiggly. Does this sound right??

    The shakes either feel like shocks/springs are shot, or could a frame mount be shot at the front?? Could the front end shake actually be caused by something at the rear??

    Jason.

    I'm told that the front sub-frame bushings are all backed orderd. I've been waiting for them for 3 weeks now.......

  9. #82
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2004
    Location
    Chalmette, LA
    Posts
    146

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Bringing mine in Monday for vibration problems. Changes tires to Michelin's but still have problem(not as bad though). Looks like this is going to be interesting.
    Together we achieve the extraordinary!! 2007 RRS Supercharged Black on Black

  10. #83
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2009
    Posts
    117

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    I had a Mercedes once that did that. It was a quirk with a redesign and there was just something that was wrong with the high profile tires and wheels that couldn't be fixed. I finally out of frustration got rid of it but in hindsight I wish I had done the lemon law route. The dealership was trying and they didn't build the car. You buy an expensive car and you expect it to work and it's really frustrating to have it in the shop all week and then it does the same thing on the way home.

  11. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    890

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipN
    I had a Mercedes once that did that. It was a quirk with a redesign and there was just something that was wrong with the high profile tires and wheels that couldn't be fixed. I finally out of frustration got rid of it but in hindsight I wish I had done the lemon law route. The dealership was trying and they didn't build the car. You buy an expensive car and you expect it to work and it's really frustrating to have it in the shop all week and then it does the same thing on the way home.

    I agree 5000000% with you. I had a vibration issue with the Audi S5 as well, I took it in ONCE, they replaced the lower control arms, and bushings . Audi found that the bushings were not stiff enough and the lower control arms were not strong enough for the weight of the S5. I picked it up 3 days later and it's smooth as a newborn baby's bottom again, and has been for 4500 miles.

  12. #85
    FRESHMAN ROVER b_arra's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    225

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Quote Originally Posted by RoverfreakNH
    Quote Originally Posted by geflackt
    I was also just about to ask for an update!!

    My '06 RRS had been fine since early summer, but the shakes are back again along with the clunk in the steering when making turns. If I'm on perfectly smooth road, no shakes even all the way to 80mph. If I'm on roads with good size bumps, I really only feel the bumps. But if it's on uneven pavement with slight bumps, the wheels really gets to shaking. I have about 8k miles on Pirelli Scorpions.

    I saw somewhere that the suspension, when working without issues, is described as jiggly. Does this sound right??

    The shakes either feel like shocks/springs are shot, or could a frame mount be shot at the front?? Could the front end shake actually be caused by something at the rear??

    Jason.

    I'm told that the front sub-frame bushings are all backed orderd. I've been waiting for them for 3 weeks now.......

    Did your bushings come in? If yes, did it fix your problem?
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged | Black on Black | Stormer Wheels | "Clear" Side Markers and Tail Lights | Color Coded Tailgate Trim | Partial De-badge | 2011-2012 Maps | Valentine One "hardwired" | K&N Air Filter | 100,000+ miles

  13. #86
    Premium Member dantheman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    741

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Is there any update to this problem? I know it's an old thread, but my '08 has a slight side to side vibration in the steering wheel going over bumps and rough road. Doesn't shake at all if it's a smooth road.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

  14. #87
    SOPHOMORE ROVER BWB RRS HSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2009
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    472

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    The only time mine has not had the issues is when I have my aftermarket MMR wheels on that are much lighter. I've had all my tires Hunter Road Force balanced on two OEM sets of wheels and the vibration is always there at some level. They blamed it on out of round tires (stock Michs). Now that I have new tires and still have the issue with OEM wheels, I am taking it in in 2 weeks and telling them I ain't taking it back till the problem is fixed once and for all. At least the loaner is an LR4.
    2017 RR HSE TD6

  15. #88
    Premium Member dantheman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    741

    Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

    Any update to the original problem posted on page 1? Again, only get a steering shimmy over rough road or road imperfections, smooth roads = smooth steering.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. Steering wheel vibration
    By localbrew in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
  2. Steering Wheel Vibration
    By b_arra in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: March 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
  3. Wheel Balancing, Steering Wheel Vibration
    By lesjonpool in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
  4. Vibration at the steering wheel
    By TheRange in forum Range Rover Classic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
  5. Steering wheel vibration
    By silverrover in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0