Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

Re: Steering wheel vibration on 09 RRS

Uh oh. I hope they gave you a good loaner, because it sounds like your car will be at the dealer for a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Banned

nope!

They didn't have any LR2s, they were all out with other customers. So I have to go back there tomorrow morning. Yippppie

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hope there are able to figure it out quick. Are you seeing a constant vibration from 48-88 or does it go away when you speed up or slow down. Are you using OEM 20" Stormers?

Getting ready to take my car back in to be rebalanced for the 3rd time. This time around I am taking it to a another shop that has done most of my tires over the past 5 years. I am running replica 20" Stormers and wondering if they are the problem. Next step will be to put the stocks back on. Has anyone had any negitive experience with replicas?

Quote Originally Posted by RoverfreakNH
    Mine was in first thing this morning. Both front tires had 700 miles on them, and they replaced them again for a hop in each tire. Drove it home and 48-88 still have a vibration in the steering wheel. I brought it back to them and I took it for a ride with the shop foreman, they now placed a call to Land Rover NA, asking for assistance.

This should get interesting now...stay tuned...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by geflackt
    Hot DIGGITY! Left turns mostly, compressing front suspension(like coming out of a parking lot - all the time at work), then after the clack/clunk the suspension is loose for a while. This morning taking it to the dealer it was fairly tight until the clunk was felt, then it had the vibration again. Steering wheel is turned slightly to the left, too.

PLEASE check for the service records - that would be a big help!
    So it sounds like you are having the issues I had. It progressively got worse, and the frequency of this happening increased over time and after a couple of trips to the dealer. I pulled out my invoice...
    What ended up happening was I got the suspension warning light, with that they were able to find fault codes to correct the problem and it was tied to the Dynamic Response Control Module.
    The invoice states:
    Control Unit- Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) - Renew
    Diagnosis- ACE System- Includes configuration of new ECU

So basically the Dynamic Response Control Module went out and that had an effect on the ACE System. I haven't had the problem since this has been repaired and I've tried to duplicate the symptoms on a particular left turn where I used to get the problem all the time, kind of like you coming out of your parking lot.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    2006 Range Rover Sport S/C Zermatt Silver/Black- I call her Agnes
    San Diego, CA

Just FYI, Dynamic Response System, AKA Active Stabilization System, is a "refinement" of the original Active Cornering Enhancement system patented by Land Rover and available as an option on older Disco IIs up to 2004... I guess your dealer is old fashioned and still refers to Dynamic Response as its earlier incarnation (ACE) in its paperwork... Basically, he replaced and configured the Dynamic Response module. We have enough acronyms in this car, we don't need another one. There's no ACE in the RRS (other than us guys sitting behind the wheel, of course.)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Just FYI, Dynamic Response System, AKA Active Stabilization System, is a "refinement" of the original Active Cornering Enhancement system patented by Land Rover and available as an option on older Disco IIs up to 2004... I guess your dealer is old fashioned and still refers to Dynamic Response as its earlier incarnation (ACE) in its paperwork... Basically, he replaced and configured the Dynamic Response module. We have enough acronyms in this car, we don't need another one. There's no ACE in the RRS (other than us guys sitting behind the wheel, of course.)
    LOL...If only I had a fighter pilot helmet and Oxygen mask!

Agreed, no new acronyms, it's confusing enough. I'm guessing the dealer's computers are old-fashioned since I typed word for word what was on invoice.

I had another post about this prior to going to the dealer, when I got the warning light, but didn't get a chance to update the results since I went out of town in June...
    2006 Range Rover Sport S/C Zermatt Silver/Black- I call her Agnes
    San Diego, CA

... And don't get me started with the "renew" part! In my industry, when a part breaks we REPLACE it. In the automotive industry, somehow they "renew" it. What the... It' not a Sports Illustrated subscription for Heaven's sake.

Banned

So, here is an update on my vibration on my 08 RRSSC .

They removed my 4 tires and rims, took tires and rims off a 09 ( 20" stormers) , vibration still in the frontend. They called Land Rover techline, and opened a case on my VIN. This should be interesting to see what they come up with. In the mean time, the GM gave me his 08 RR HSE to use , I forgot how much bigger the RR is over the RRS.

FORUM MODERATOR

Do you notice if the vibration gets stronger once you step on the brakes?

If so...then the likely source of vibration would be slightly warped rotors...that can happen fairly easily if you drive thru deep water or the rotors get suddenly cold (snow) while hot...you could be just 2-4 points out of spec and that can cause the vibration.

Worthwhile for them to check and measure the rotors...
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Do you notice if the vibration gets stronger once you step on the brakes?

If so...then the likely source of vibration would be slightly warped rotors...that can happen fairly easily if you drive thru deep water or the rotors get suddenly cold (snow) while hot...you could be just 2-4 points out of spec and that can cause the vibration.

Worthwhile for them to check and measure the rotors...

No, rotors are perfect, the sterring wheel vibrates all the time if you are driving it casually, but if you throw it into a entrance ramp, exit ramp, sharp turn, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. The dealer called me tonight, and said that LRNA wants the lower control arms replaced, all the bushings replaced, and the dynamic valve block replaced. The shop foreman said that he was told , they have reports of this problem on a handfull of 08 RRSSC's . They said they'll have all the parts in the morning and will get the truck back to me for the weekend to try out...... We'll seeeeeee i guess.

Banned

Well, I got the beast back, no change, still vibrating. I asked again about rotors, hubs, front axle balancing, disabling the active suspension, etc. They said they are all perfectly fine and tried everything , and have placed another call to LRNA. I have also called LRNA and also put a complaint in.

The brakes on the truck are perfect the shop foreman said “do you even use the brakes? the front pads are at 90%, I don't think I've ever had a RRSSC with 18K on it with more than 50% pad life left on the front . All rotors are perfectly round, and in almost perfect condition, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arms, sway bar bushings, upper control arm bushings all replaced, all software in all ECUs have been updated, and re-torqued all suspension front and rear components, then 4-wheel aliened, all 4 tires road forced balanced again, rims are perfectly round.

Service repair order is 9 pages long with all the parts and labor rates all charged to warrantee.

Can't wait to hear what LR NA wants to try next......

5 bucks that they replace your steering gear next.

i would make sure none of the wheels are damaged (bent, warped, etc.) I know its a new car but anything is possible. gl

Banned

Rims and tires have all been replaced, they replaced all 4 with an 09 rrssc , still vibrates

Banned

Steering gear, and dynamic valve block is being replaced as I type this ........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now