Range Rovers Forum banner

Gen II RRS Wheels on Gen I RRS SC

Tags
gen rrs wheels
1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  afm903 
#1 ·
Live in Manhattan and the roads are atrocious. They aren't even roads, they are craters. Cattle path would be better.

Anyway I have an 07 SC that runs the ridiculous 20 x 9.5" rim with 275/40's on them, because sport truck, and I want something cushier.

Noticed the new Range Rover Sport comes with 19" wheels wrapped in a 235/65r19. Bigger sidewall. Slimmer tire. still LR. lovely lovely lovely.

Anyone know if they will clear the Brembo's on my SC? the offset is different (43 vs 56 or some such math) but in the right direction. Know 18"s won't clear but 19's? I'm hopeful.

Oh I have the lift rods installed to clear the tire height in the wheel well also.

Thanks all.

#2 ·
There are plenty of other Rovers running around NYC that run the same wheel and tire set up.

If its so ridiculous of a vehicle and not fitting for where you drive why do you own it?

If you read a few threads or do some searching this topic has been covered several times.

If you have lift rods installed why not just run a larger tire on the 20" rim? Plenty of threads on that via search or in the FAQ, READ ME FIRST, STICKY section of the forum.

#3 ·
Thanks Brimill,

I've seen the topic in general covered yes but didn't find anything regarding the Gen II wheels (although I'm new here, so maybe that's on me).

The idea being to maximize sidewall and minimize width, the current 20" x 9.5"'s would still need to run at 275 section tire, where the RRS Gen II would be 235.

Totally know people run the stock set up in NY, I see 22"s around all the time (that I don't get, but whatever) my point being for lugging around pets and the mrs. I was looking into options that pick up less of the road imperfections like the current set up does. Until I move onto the new full size RR that is.

If there's a post I missed that you know of regarding those rims (have read plenty into the compotive 18" options etc) but this seems like it should be plug and play, just looking for someoen else who has done it.

Best,

#4 ·
Noticed the new Range Rover Sport comes with 19" wheels wrapped in a 235/65r19. Bigger sidewall. Slimmer tire. still LR. lovely lovely lovely.

Thanks all.
I don’t know the answer but I would love to know and will dig into finding out if nobody on the forum answers it first. I run “pizza cutter” 235/80/17 MT3 mud/snow tires on my F150 and they are magic in the snow and mud... I also acknowledge that the F150 doesn’t weigh 8,000 lbs :)

But generally, wider rubber is great for hot, dry tarmac but more likely to hydroplane and slide when it’s icy or muddy compared to a tall/skinny “tractor tire” setup... and before the haters start telling me about airing down their 35” tires and floating over sand — yes you’re not wrong — spent many years running RRs of various types through the Middle East and yes that works... but if I can get a 235 on my 2011 supercharged I would much rather do that than air down and air up and etc etc etc. Also, sand and snow and mud are very different problems to solve. Right now I’m trying to solve for snow and mud (aka maximum sidewalk height and narrowest tire available with adequate load rating).

If all else fails my buddy has a 2015 supercharged RR... I can always bust out the wrench and just try bolting one of his on...

I’ll let you know what I find out but please post if you get an answer before I do.

#6 ·
Specifically the 2018- diesels came with 5x120 bolt pattern and same hub size... and 109V so... speed rated to 149 mph and load rated 2271 per tire = over 9,000 lbs if you’re running all 4 tires ;) so I’ll be getting some 7.5 inch wide wheels and am going to try to put some skinny 31” tires on my 2011... will let folks know how that turns out

2018 diesel L405

235/65R19 109V

7.5Jx19 ET44.5

5x120

2.3 / 2.5 bar

#7 ·
You should note that the offset is different by ~27mm or ~1mm more than 1 inch—but this means more clearance against inside/hub/rotors/etc but of course 1 inch closer to outside fender—but a 235 is 30mm thinner than a 255 so if I were to run that wide for instance I’d be in the exact same spot as OEM for rubbing the outside fenders etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.