coolant leak transmission
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coolant leak transmission

FRESHMAN ROVER

coolant leak transmission

OK, I was loosing some fluid and put the car on our lift. It's frustrating because I can see the leak but can't figure out where it is coming from. I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport. The leak is coming from nipple just above the middle of the transmission. It leaks down on the the exhaust. It must be from some sort of transmission cooling line. I know this because when I check the transmission plug the transmission doesn't drain any coolant. Does anyone know where this leak may be coming from and how to get to it? I assume it's a hose anyway!.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

re: coolant leak transmission

Kind of strange . In most vehicles I have seen, the tranny fluid is sent to the rad to be cooled, not the other way around. Sounds like you should be looking higher to see if it is dripping or channeling down from above.
    2009 RRS S/C

FRESHMAN ROVER

From where from above? The would be like the cab of the vehicle... Looks like it would be center console of the vehicle. Also, the leak is higher than the transmission. I can put it back on the lift today! Any ideas as to where some common leaks would be could be helpful. I really appreciate it! Otherwise I will have to take it in to the stealership tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

There is no coolant anywhere near the transmission. If you see coolant near the transmission it is leaking from else where and trailing to the transmission and coming down there.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Heater core, or the connections to it allowing a dribble down the firewall, on the top of the transmission tunnel, and then down on the transmission, and - eventually - the exhaust.

Do you have a smell that comes through the vents when you first start getting heat through your vents?

I have such a smell - it smells different than I thought burning/hot coolant would smell - and I've been plagued with it for months, without finding the source.

I wonder if I have the same thing that you do, but never noticed a leak in the area you're looking. Keep us posted on what the mechanic finds, would you?
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks. I don't know what would be leaking that high. I can check again. I was just told to pull the rubber cap on the bottom of the transmission. I was told that if no fluid came out then that meant that the cooling line to the tranny was busted somewhere. They said it was on the back of the motor, lift hood all the way back and then remove cabin filter. I could not even find the cabin filter where they said it was. Theirs was an 05, so I assuming it's not the same on an 06. This one has me totally stumped. I'm not an idiot, I DIY on lots of stuff with it. Changed the waterpump, exhaust, suspension, and lot's of other stuff. I am just at my whits end. I am going back to the lift and bringing some bright flashlights and check everything one more time before shelling out the cash. If anyone has any other suggestion please post. I'll check this post off and on!

I am not sure who is telling you things, but they obviously have no clue about how the transmission fluid circulates. If you had a hole anywhere in the circulation system you would have no fluid in your transmission and your Range would not move. It is a closed system that circulates the fluid. You can download the service manual and see how and where the tranny fluid circulates and how nad where the coolant circulates.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok, sounds like a asked a stupid question I am asking then. May I ask one more thing RR Toad Hall. I just don't want to blow my transmission. I pulled out a small plug on the bottom of the transmission. It is rubber, round and about 2" in circumference. When A pulled off the cover no fluid came out. Is this normal? Or should fluid have come out? Hopefully this isn't a silly question as well. If it's meant to be dry that would eaze my mind a bit!

I appreciate your heading does say Coolant but is the leak actually coolant, engine oil, transmission oil or water. If it is coolant and is back on the gearbox then it can come from only one of two places - the heater coolant pipes or a leaking head gasket at the rear of the engine (unlikely).

Not sure what this rubber bung is but if it was the sump plug for the gearbox you would some oil out of there even if it was drained and you car would not drive. The cabin filter is inside the cabin not the engine bay - on a RHD car in front of the glove box - not sure on a LHD.

Sorry but I have to ask - is the fluid leaking actually water from the A/C drain??

Garry
    Range Rover Sport
    2.7 TDV6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: coolant leak transmission

I guess it could be an A/C drain. However, I have never seen that much fluid coming out of an A/C drain. It's pouring out of there. It's not transmission fluid. Maybe my radiator leak is coming from somewhere else.

There is a big difference between water from your evap drains and coolant. Water is clear, coolant is not. Coolant has a slimy, slick feel to it.

As far as the inspection plug you removed it has nothing to do with fluid levels. I would suggest distancing yourself from the person feeding you misinformation before you damage something.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Quote Originally Posted by Lion77789 View Post
    Is coolant not clear?
    No it is not.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    If you had a large coolant leak - the coolant level should be low in the expansion bottle ....

Try driving the car with the ac off
    For a few miles - do
    You
    Still see the leak ? If
    Not my guess is the Evap hose is dumping water somewhere and this is what you are seeing ...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now