Hardwiring a radar detector - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hardwiring a radar detector

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Hardwiring a radar detector

Thanks Umbertob. I wired up my 2010 yesterday... everything was exactly the same. I appreciate the helpful guide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just some advice...there are at least two green/white leads in the overhead. When I first got my V1 wired in I was controlling my sunroof by turning the unit on and off . I believe that the green/white wire you want to make the connection to is located in the front right side of the overhead. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    When it's all wired in correctly it works great!

FRESHMAN ROVER

thanks umbertob...you're the man! just did mine based on your detailed instructions and it works just like you said.

one question: if i don't lock the car, the radar will just remain on? will it kill the battery eventually?
    2008 RR Sport

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vrracr
    one question: if i don't lock the car, the radar will just remain on? will it kill the battery eventually?
    As indicated in the writeup, it will turn off if you leave your car unlocked (takes a couple of minutes for the electronics to shut down in the RRS, and about the same time for the radar detector to turn off.) The power draw of these detectors is so small than even if the V1 did stay on all the time - and it won't - I doubt it would make any significant dent in your battery charge.

FRESHMAN ROVER

thank you for the quick response.
    2008 RR Sport

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Thanks for the write-up/pics - I just hardwired my V1! As MakeItSo said, there are two green/white wires, so make sure you go for the one that's not connected to the sunroof controls. Anyways, after talking to a Porsche fanatic and friend of mine, I mounted the V1 in a slightly different spot, below the rearview mirror so that it's more centrally located and can "see" more clearly out the rear window. Plus, I tested mounting it up high, and I don't like how the visor can hit it and knock it upward. If anyone is wondering, the wire is barely visible, as it's easy to tuck behind the mirror bracket. Here are two pics (sorry for the iPhone pics):

'13 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
    '12 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Sedan - SOLD
    '11 Range Rover Sport Supercharged RSC600
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

I actually tried that position myself at first after reading some similar recommendations on other forums. Didn't like it for a couple of reasons: interference from the touchscreen (don't know if they were reflections off the monitor or the white hood of my car, but I was getting lots of false laser alerts there.) Also, it was a long stretch to reach the mute knob in case of false alerts, and if you have a V1 you're going to get plenty of those, trust me.

Finally, having it smack in the middle of the windshield made me so "obvious", both to a cop following me and to detector thieves, that in the end I decided for the higher and less conspicuous location to the left of the mirror. The eye of the V1 can still see through the rear window as far as I can tell.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Didn't like it for a couple of reasons: interference from the touchscreen (don't know if they were reflections off the monitor or the white hood of my car, but I was getting lots of false laser alerts there.) Also, it was a long stretch to reach the mute knob in case of false alerts, and if you have a V1 you're going to get plenty of those, trust me.

Finally, having it smack in the middle of the windshield made me so "obvious", both to a cop following me and to detector thieves, that in the end I decided for the higher and less conspicuous location to the left of the mirror. The eye of the V1 can still see through the rear window as far as I can tell.
    The false alerts are a huge pain, so unless I'm on the interstate I keep the volume pretty low. As for interference, I'll keep y'all updated as to whether I get false laser alerts with it here. The spot is definitely more conspicuous, so I'll have to see how I feel about it in the next week or so (less worried about cops following than about theft). Also, how do you turn X-band off? I've literally never noticed an actual cop using X (and no cameras in my area so can't comment there).

Turn X-band off, nobody uses that anymore, except supermarket automatic doors, false alarm galore. You need to enter programming mode, it's documented on V1's site: http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Turn X-band off, nobody uses that anymore, except supermarket automatic doors, false alarm galore. You need to enter programming mode, it's documented on V1's site: http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp
    Done, thanks for the link!

FRESHMAN ROVER

i have a 07 RRS and I do not have a green/white to the harness that feeds the light console. I have a red/blue, white/brown, brown, grey red, and red/yellow and only red/blue has power with the light on and using a power indicator on the brown/white actually flips the lights on and off.

where am I missing the green/white wire? (other than the one on the sunroof switch)..

thanks!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I notice the detector is mounted to the left of the dark shaded area directly behind the rear view mirror. Is this done for a reason?

Does the detector not work if it is mounted directly behind the rear view mirror in the dark "tinted" area?

It seems like in the sample photos,the radar would be in the way of the sun visor?
    What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail? Work hard, play harder!

-2011 Stornoway Gray Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Couple of reasons: The shaded / tinted area above the rear view mirror is a bit textured and not smooth like glass, so getting the suction cups of the detector mount to stick would be more challenging. You'd have to smoothen that textured surface with some layers of packaging tape or something similar to get the suction cups to stick securely. Also, the V1 specifically (this may not apply to other detectors) needs the rear firing radar/laser sensor to have a view of the rear of the car (through the rear window) as unobstructed as possible to spot bogeys approaching from behind with plenty of advance notice. With the detector mounted so high above the mirror, the view of that sensor would be partially obstructed by headliner and overhead console, decreasing its coverage and effectiveness.

The detector doesn't get in the way of the sun visor when mounted to the left of the tinted area, thanks to the slanted windshield of the Sport it sits quite a bit forward of the visor.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Update: I've had no issues with the V1 mounted below the mirror and haven't gotten any false laser readings. I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but, from here on out, RRS's won't come with voice control, meaning there's a blank button on the steering wheel. I'm thinking of turning it into a remote V1 mute button. I'm hoping the button is still powered, meaning I could have it etched with the V1 logo...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Has anyone had experience hardwiring a radar detector into wiring under the dash on the driver's side or behind the center console with the ventilation controls?

The reason I ask is that I have a Passport 9500xi Directwire Connector with the mute button attached to the cable and it only has 3 feet of cable between the mute switch and the fuse connection to the electrical system / ground (and 8 feet of cable from the mute switch to the detector). So I need to wire it under the dash so I can mount the switch with velco under the steering wheel within reach while driving. I will then run the wire the detector and mount it under the mirror.

If you have done this before, please advise on which wires you connected the detector to (my connector is similar to the V1 and connects by puncturing the existing wire cover) and how to access that area in the SUV.

Any suugestions would be appreciated, thanks
    2018 Range Rover Sport SVR (Santorini Black - Ebony / Ebony with satin brushed trim)
    2016 Range Rover Sport SVR (Santorini Black - Ebony / Ebony with carbon fiber trim) sold
    2011 Range Rover Sport Autobiography (Santorini Black - Ebony /Tan, Rear Seat Entertainment, Adaptive Cruise Control, Electronic Rear Differenial Lock) sold
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (Java Black - Ebony) sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now