VIP Modular VR03 are in! Sneak Peak - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: VIP Modular VR03 are in! Sneak Peak

Re: VIP Modular VR03 are in! Sneak Peak

I was told 115 for the center piece attachment nuts. I was actually told a minute on the phone no one will assemble them for liability... looks like I have to do them. I just find it hard to belive no one ever takes their multi-piece rims in to be painted in sections. Fu*King tucson, I hate this **** hole.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

M32
    SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Murdered Out
    I was told 115 for the center piece attachment nuts. I was actually told a minute on the phone no one will assemble them for liability... looks like I have to do them. I just find it hard to belive no one ever takes their multi-piece rims in to be painted in sections. Fu*King tucson, I hate this **** hole.
    MO,

If you want to ship it to the shop I use in Houston, they will do it. They do it all the time. Let me know man

Edwin

FRESHMAN ROVER

MO, have you try contacting VIP Modular for proper assembly of your wheels? They should have the protocol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

yeah already did, just trying to get them put together now...was hopping I wouldnt have to do it....

Edwin-

I'm not trying to pay shipping for those monster 24's. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm going to knock them out in my garage and then take them to be mounted. I have finals next week so it may be a while before I can do it now. Thats why
    I'm pissed. I have been waiting all this time and now I have them teasing me in my garage...

today I installed three of the ceter pieces on the rims. What a pain in the @ss. It took me nearly 4 hours to do three wheels. Each rim has 42 nuts and bolts that needed to be installed and torqued to 30lbs each. Not only that but it was difficult to get most of the bolts through the holes because of the paint, which made the diameter of the bolts slightly larger and the holes smaller. I WILL have them put on tomorrow (wed) for sure. In addition the speaker box project is wrapping up, I will update that in a few.

Does anyone know where I can buy the inner rear plastic pillars?

For the future...

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

If I'm stating the obvious, sorry. But, be sure you torque them down in a crosswise pattern and not at full torque the first go around---you don't want to warp the wheel. Use a different colored crayon to mark each one as you torque it in stages. I would use blue loctite on the threads as well.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

MO,

if you search ebay.com, there are plenty of OEM rims for around $1000 that will be more functional then your wheels that are in two pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by gushybear
    MO,

if you search ebay.com, there are plenty of OEM rims for around $1000 that will be more functional then your wheels that are in two pieces.

(confused face)

you realize the guy has one of the best (in terms of quality) wheels on the market right? light years ahead of redborne, thats for sure!

gushybear,

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey
    For the future...

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

If I'm stating the obvious, sorry. But, be sure you torque them down in a crosswise pattern and not at full torque the first go around---you don't want to warp the wheel. Use a different colored crayon to mark each one as you torque it in stages. I would use blue loctite on the threads as well.

They specifically stated to not use locktite, I called and asked them.
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    gushybear,

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.
    They didnt paint the threads, the shaft is painted and the center piece of the wheel is also painted. The two pieces together make a SNUG fit. 6 places in town told me the same thing, liability. "we're not trained to assemble other peoples' wheel..."

I asked each one, "how hard is it to tighten bolts? as long as you follow the directions you cant go wrong. You can assemble brakes, even put wheels on cars but you cant tighten some nuts and bolts?"

anyway 160+ bolts later, and carpal tunnel for the first time in my life the wheels are done and I have an 11:30 PST apt to get mounted... (not like that)

FORUM MODERATOR

Ouch...lots of stress on the wrist there...but they are turning out nice...will be interesting to see what they look like in the desert sun. How wide are the rims?

By the way, did you get a 5th spare tire as well in the same format because it sounds like if these rims get dented for any major potholes, you'll be driving on the donut for at least 8 weeks...
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

(confused face)

you realize the guy has one of the best (in terms of quality) wheels on the market right? light years ahead of redborne, thats for sure!
    lol. i do realize this. thanks for the tip. and also apparently that my wheels are roughly 6000000000000 miles behind his wheels... geez i guess i got some driving to do to catch up!

Dude these pictures suck, in person they look much better. I need to wash my **** too, its been nearly three months! They look awesome in person, the super glossy black contrasts perfect against the flat black.

I'll take beter pictures tomorrow and get the whole perspective on them.

[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/kol***e/VipModular004-1.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/kol***e/VipModular010-1.jpg[/img]

LEGACY VENDOR

im on the line on this one not sure i like them.....
    Jeff Zylstra, Owner

you'll have to see the entire thing. I'm telling you I think it looks like **** in these pics. Just wait. plus everything is duuuurty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now