Range Rovers Forum banner

VIP Modular VR03 are in! Sneak Peak

22K views 113 replies 24 participants last post by  Blackout 
G
#1 ·
Here's the sneak peak prior to the powder coat. Glad I decided to go with these instead of the DPE's.

they'll be ready next week, with flat black lips and super dupa glossy black centers

See less See more
G
#53 ·
gushybear said:
MO,

if you search ebay.com, there are plenty of OEM rims for around $1000 that will be more functional then your wheels that are in two pieces.

;)
:?
(confused face)

you realize the guy has one of the best (in terms of quality) wheels on the market right? light years ahead of redborne, thats for sure!

#54 ·
gushybear, :lol:

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.

G
#55 ·
gooseyloosey said:
For the future...

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

If I'm stating the obvious, sorry. But, be sure you torque them down in a crosswise pattern and not at full torque the first go around---you don't want to warp the wheel. Use a different colored crayon to mark each one as you torque it in stages. I would use blue loctite on the threads as well.

They specifically stated to not use locktite, I called and asked them.
umbertob said:
gushybear, :lol:

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.
They didnt paint the threads, the shaft is painted and the center piece of the wheel is also painted. The two pieces together make a SNUG fit. 6 places in town told me the same thing, liability. "we're not trained to assemble other peoples' wheel..."

I asked each one, "how hard is it to tighten bolts? as long as you follow the directions you cant go wrong. You can assemble brakes, even put wheels on cars but you cant tighten some nuts and bolts?"

anyway 160+ bolts later, and carpal tunnel for the first time in my life the wheels are done and I have an 11:30 PST apt to get mounted... (not like that)

#56 ·
Ouch...lots of stress on the wrist there...but they are turning out nice...will be interesting to see what they look like in the desert sun. How wide are the rims?

By the way, did you get a 5th spare tire as well in the same format because it sounds like if these rims get dented for any major potholes, you'll be driving on the donut for at least 8 weeks...

G
#58 ·
Dude these pictures suck, in person they look much better. I need to wash my shlt too, its been nearly three months! They look awesome in person, the super glossy black contrasts perfect against the flat black.

I'll take beter pictures tomorrow and get the whole perspective on them.

#61 ·
dirrttyy girrrlll

needs soap.

i'll have to admit it looks interesting. i'm wondering if flat back middle and polished black rim would look better?

then again when the car's polished up then i think the flat black will contrast more rather than blending in w/ the dirt.

black sure is the sexiest colour... but my car's outside 24/7 and i'd probably go insane with the number of times i'd have to clean it.

G
#62 ·
I think the main thing is you cant see the entire picture... in the sunlight it looks mean. the glossy centers are so **** glossy and then the flat black allows you to see the depth of the wheel.

there is no way flat centers would look right, mine is just too glossy and clean (usually). They would have looked like spare tires in comparison to the rest. I do think chrome lips would have looked sweet too, but it is not the look I wanted. I wanted it blacked out, and the only way to do that without it looking a mess was to do the flat black lip for a bit of contrast. The good thing about it is its only paint. Hell if I get sick of it down the road I can just buy the outer wheel section which will save me thousands. But I dont think I'll need to do that. I wish you guys could see it in person. Since there is not a whole lot of contrast between colors, the photos look sloppy.

I'm taking it to the wash in a bit.

#63 ·
MO, I'll preface this by saying I'm not into the big wheel, skinny tire thing, but with those wheels, clean or not, the little brakes have to go---you have to upgrade to a big brake kit.
What you have there reminds me of a mountain bike wheel, which is OK for a mountain bike but not the RRS.

Also, any particular reason you have vented/slotted rotors on the back and solid in the front?

G
#64 ·
yeah I'm waiting on the correct size to come in. They sent the wrong one. I'm not to worried about the brakes, they do the job. However, if you're willing to sponsor me $8000 for some brakes I'll give you my mailing address! :mrgreen: I just cant fathom my brakes costing more than my rims and tires together. I have a secret for you brake haters though, if you dont like my oem brakes. just wait a few weeks.

G
#65 ·
yea bro i gota wait till you post better pics... i think it does look better in person but as of right now im not too sure about the lips... maybe full glossy black would have looked better... the flat (from the pics) just contrasts too much with your otherwise fully glossy black ride... I was thinking doing matt black centers on mine when I got them refinished but after I had a pair of hre's mounted with a flat black center, I threw them off in a matter of minutes so good choice on not doing the centers matte black!

i gota see more pics...

all your posts make me want to switch up to 24s but the god **** roads around here suck! esp on my way to and from work, im dodging potholes every 20 feet...

G
#66 ·
Now that I have it cleaned up there is NO way that any other combination can top this color scheme, it's just not happening. They are way too sick in person, they complete the murdered out look for sure. I'll have to get some full body shots tomorrow.

gooseyloosey said:
which is OK for a mountain bike but not the RRS.
Says who?

Here are a few other pics to get a beter idea of how they look. low resolution due to the lighting.

#68 ·
retracted, rescinded, those truly look badass.

i've never seen it before. you're always expecting the chrome lip, but from far it just looks black and somethings up, but when u get close and realize its a flat black lip, its pretty much one of the sickest rims i've ever seen.

#70 ·
Murdered Out said:
Here are a few other pics to get a beter idea of how they look. low resolution due to the lighting.

Low resolution or not, I think that these are by far the nicest aftermarket rims that I have seen on a sport. I'v always maintained that 24" rims were too big for this car, and I think that your previous rims demonstrated that belief perfectly. But these are just fantastic. Good call on the glossy center, flat black lip color combo.

G
#71 ·
Finnaly you guys can sort of see what I''m saying. These pics still do no justice, the powder coaters did a great job, and the glossy centers are a near perfect match to my paint, maybe more shiney.

I would recomend these wheels to anyone looking for an upgrade. Just contact WhiteM3E46, he'll hook you up. Another member just bought some the other day as well.

I agree about the LAPD cruisers, thats why I was very hesitant to do this. If I went with flat black centers and glossy lips it would have looked like an LAPD cruiser. Or even if they were all glossy, they would be a blob of black, with no dimension. The flat black is very dark, for some reason close up pics make it look lighter than it really is.

Another thing is that these wheels are only 8KG or 17.6 Lbs. Everyone who touched them couldnt belive a 24 could be weigh so little.

G
#73 ·
redline201 said:
they look Golly Gee Whiz sick bro
cant believe they only weigh 17lbs too

that thing looks Golly Gee Whiz mean

Thanks, I was out today and forgot my camera! tomorrow I promise I'll have the sickest photos up. In the sun, and clean, it looks mean. I couldnt be happier with the overall look, it completes the exterior. I have a lowering module going in hopefully next week, then I have to put from front rotors on and lastly paint my calipers and a little somethin-somethin to top it off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.