DIY Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure & Amplifier Install... - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure & Amplifier Install...

Re: DIY Custom Speaker box Enclosure

in case you need need the wooden rings for your speakers, this place has custom pre fabricated rings that are constructed very well. I just got mine in today. I bought the flush mount ones.

http://eliteinstallersupply.com/index.php?cPath=21_54

DREVS, how did you hook the speaker wires up? did you use a wire terminal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

My driver has those spring loaded clamps, so no terminal needed.

My amp has screw down terminals, so no need for extra wire terminals there either.

The more junctions that the current has to pass through, the greater the loss. Also, KISS... No need for extra shiat that could come loose someday.

ok, maybe I said it wrong. did you just drill a hole through the box and then seal it with silicone? how did you run the amp power wire? Jbrac said he went under the steering wheel through a hole that is already there...Is that what you did? I'm going to take this on Friday night.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

What you just said sounds like what drevs did. No need for a terminal connection just drill a small hole in box, slide speaker wire through then silicone it good to seal properly. Make sure you get good thick speaker wire.

Premium Member

Yeah, just put a hole through the box and caulked it.

I ran power from the battery along the top of the firewall - I seem to recall using 8ga wire. There is some black plastic trim that you can tuck the wire into, but it's a real biatch. Makes everything much cleaner tho if you can get it in there.
    I can't remember if I put my own hole through the firewall or used an existing one.
    I ran the wire under the door jambs, and up under the rear seats to the storage compartment ahead of where the jack and "other stuff" is located.
    All in all it was a real effort, but it's definitely worth it to spend the time to do it right. I also put in a power inverter under the rear seats. Never know when I might need my hairdryer while camping.

I have a 4 ga power wire and that is the minimum I can use with my amp, will this still work? What size speaker wire should I use for a 1000 watt amp?

Premium Member

Well, you can use whatever gauge you want, but the smaller the gauge the limited the current that can pass through. And it get worse the longer your distance. 4Ga is great, but a bigger pita to install. Might have some trouble getting it past/through certain areas, but you should be able to figure it out.
    Prob. want at least 12Ga speaker wire, but I'd just buy the biggest crap you can find since your run will be short and the cost difference relatively insignificant.

yeah I just wasnt sure if I could fit 4 AWG through the firewall. I'M actually going with 2 or 0 AWG just in case I decide to change my mids and highs.

my 13W7 came in today. That thing is a BEAST! I've never seen a 70 pound 13" speaker.

[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/kol***e/13w7001.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/kol***e/13w7002.jpg[/img]

Premium Member

You should consider a second battery and/or cap if you think you'll need 2/0 AWG.

FORUM MODERATOR

70 lbs for a speaker! Wow.

May have to seriously consider now removing the resonance weights below just to compensate for the increased weight...

There goes the mileage!!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    You should consider a second battery and/or cap if you think you'll need 2/0 AWG.
    I was thinking I may too, however, I was told I would not need one if my electrical system was working properly, and the 0 AWG wire will eliminate any power issues for the sub. If I were to add another 13W7 and 1000 watt amp, I would need one or the other...

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Caps are worthless and only good for short bursts of power, which is mainly used for people who need a short burst for competition. They will not do anything for daily driving. A 2nd battery on the other hand would certainly help ONLY if you see any dimming of your cabin lights. You could figure out how many amps our alternators put out then figure out what sort of draw the electrical system takes, and then add the amp power to see if it is sufficient or not. It seems that there are some electrical gremlins in the sport so beware.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrac25
    Caps are worthless and only good for short bursts of power, which is mainly used for people who need a short burst for competition.
    You mean like the short burst of power needed by a 1000 watt amp pushing a 70# sub? I'm no competition installer, but that setup is going to tax the dynamic ability of his proposed power delivery system with anything above Yanni level music. Which, I suppose, could be what he listens to.

Just for good measure. :P

OUCH!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Both of you are weak. Bring your A game buddies. Also theres no short bursts from a 1000 watt amp but if you wanna waste your money on a cap be my guest. I have competed and i know my way around the electrical sysem. If your system is dimming your lights you need either a stronger alternator or a 2nd battery.
    Drevs maybe you can ask your buddy OJ Mayo if you can borrow some money, i hear he has lots to spare, heres some proof.

Maybe hell let you watch his plasma too.

Dont forget about this

or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4
    Sorry this was too easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now