Removing the resonator...should I? - Page 6
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Removing the resonator...should I?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Removing the resonator...should I?

i have definitely heard mine back fire

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

HAHAHA.. WOW! Just deleted #7.., didn't expect that. I was outside of the shop walking around and heard a crazy exhaust start up.. I knew it was mine, but didn't believe it. So much louder than I thought. Coming from multiple high HP cars with modified exhausts.. the 'stock' exhaust is loud w/out #7. Backfire it does.. quite a bit actually. Slightly embarrassing pulling into the neighborhood.. but the smile I had during my usually boring drive home was infectious. To each his own.. its louder than you think if your contemplating.. but I like it. lol.. not sure what the wife will say though.
    - 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    - 2014 BMW i3

Range Rover
    (10 mpg) | BMW i3 (124 mpg) = 1 strange garage

Glad you like it. I loved the sound especially when you accelerate but the backfire drove me nuts. After a month of having it I ended up putting the resonator back on. It seems like the backfire is more on a supercharged bs HSE based on the A/F mapping. Even with a full exhaust system it seems like you will have some backfire all the time.
    2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged [Current]
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (2012 Facelift) [SOLD]

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I took both resonators off and that huge muffler that looks like a gas tank....I get compliments all the time on the road now....I would never want to drive a quiet RR again...

This is my very first performance V8 vehicle and I love the stock sound. And besides, I live in a town home with great neighbors glued next to our unit and I keep the rover in the garage. I think hearing that thing fire up at 5 in the morning is bad enough for them. I can't imagine they'd be thrilled at a louder exhaust with no res.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

Just removed #7 myself. Sound is very deep. A nice little rumble on a cold-start and a bit louder than stock at low throttle. Mid to high throttle is where you really hear the difference. A deep nice sound that really allows you to hear the V8. As previously reported no drone at highway speeds and in my case no backfires/popping at all during deceleration. Its nothing crazy, although I could see how someone might think its a bit too much. IMO not offensive and only adds a bit of excitement when you go mid-to-full throttle. Its like having a stock valve system exhaust.

If you are on the fence I would recommend it as an alternative to replace the full exhaust system given that the current price for magnaflow systems are about $1100. All in all about $170 for the #7 resonator delete and tips. Very reasonable option since you really would not gain much performance from the full exhaust.

Today I just removed my #7 resinator. The very large one next to the muffler under the center of the truck. I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport GT Limited Edition 5.0 non supercharged. I must say I love this modification. The sport sounds amazing. Very similar to a Grand Cherokee SRT8. Some pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing the resonator...should I?-image_1473979647795.jpg   Removing the resonator...should I?-image_1473979839041.jpg   Removing the resonator...should I?-image_1473979980063.jpg   Removing the resonator...should I?-image_1473980027323.jpg   Removing the resonator...should I?-image_1473980083495.jpg  

FRESHMAN ROVER

I read through this entire thread and decided to pull the trigger for this modification for my 10 Sport N/A.

My local exhaust shop in Portland removed number #7 for $70. Without a doubt, this was the best $70 I ever spent modding a car.

At idle and cruising you can't tell any significant difference. During a cold start (high idle) or putting your foot into it you get a very nice burble.

For anyone on the fence, I would highly recommend you give it a shot!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Bumping up this thread coz I'm embarking on my own mod adventure tomorrow. Gonna be removing parts 7 and 9 only. Any idea if that is gonna throw off the check engine light? Hate to see that little symbol light up on the dash. Thats my ocd kicking in.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I removed resonator 7, the big one underneath the truck, on my previous '08 HSE and while it sounded good it DID drone on the highway, specifically around 70 mph if I remember correctly. I could shift it down a gear or drive slower to eliminate it, but it was there. It eventually bothered me so much that I put the resonator back on.

From what I've read, putting an x-pape in it's place would eliminate the drone and some of the backfire that goes with it. I had the resonator replaced with straight pipes before switching back.

Also, you won't get any kind of dashboard lights if you remove the resonator.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1 View Post
    I removed resonator 7, the big one underneath the truck, on my previous '08 HSE and while it sounded good it DID drone on the highway, specifically around 70 mph if I remember correctly. I could shift it down a gear or drive slower to eliminate it, but it was there. It eventually bothered me so much that I put the resonator back on.

From what I've read, putting an x-pape in it's place would eliminate the drone and some of the backfire that goes with it. I had the resonator replaced with straight pipes before switching back.

Also, you won't get any kind of dashboard lights if you remove the resonator.
    Thanks buddy! That was a quick reply!

Has anyone attempted to remove part 9 as well?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

About to do this on a 5.0 SC - so is the verdict remove 7 and must do the x-pipe to cut down or prevent backfire?

taking it to get this done, really need to know if the x pipe is a must for it to run right not backfire, does it enhance sound etc?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Do it. I'm considering the same. What's the worst that can happen?
    1992 Range Rover County SWB (Help)
    2012 Range Rover Sport SC
    2004 Discovery II (Son's)
    2007 Range Rover Sport SC (gone but not forgotten)
    2005 LR3 SE (gone but not forgotten)
    2001 Range Rover HSE (gone but not forgotten)
    2011 Honda Odyssey Tourning Elite... I know, I know...
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 K-Car

Oh I'm doing it just need to know if x-pipe is a must to prevent backfiring or if you can straight pipe it on a 2012 RRS SC

Quote Originally Posted by USAFBUckeye View Post
    Do it. I'm considering the same. What's the worst that can happen?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now