Removing the resonator...should I? - Page 5
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Removing the resonator...should I?

Banned

Re: Removing the resonator...should I?

i am fairly certain there is going to be drone at highway speeds between 55-75mph... i do not see how there wouldn't be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes, seriously, no drone. It's opened up but only #7 was deleted, the rest of the mufflers/ resonators/cats are still intact. If you do the normal cruise on the freeway at 70 mph, at around 2k rpm (in 6th), it is still silent as stock. If you gently touch the gas you can even still hear that slight whine from the blower, after 3k with a heavier foot the nice exhaust tone comes out. No drone just not complete silence, a real nice exhaust note IMO.
    I am 26 and I grew up racing, this is my 4th car. I figured it was time to give the range a little aftermarket love. I bought it new and just hit 62k

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    i am fairly certain there is going to be drone at highway speeds between 55-75mph... i do not see how there wouldn't be.
    I too have the #7 deleted. No drone on the highway unless you are in sport mode. Although, if you accelerate fast you will definitely hear it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I removed #7 as well and it sounds just like charged11 describes. Very quiet until you put the hammer down then very deep. No drone at all just a very satisfying growl when you press the loud pedal! Many thanks to Drevs and charged11. Best 75 dollars I have spent on this awesome machine.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here's a throwback... This was my old Sport back in 2009. This was a full custom exhaust. Ran me about $1200 if I can remember correctly. We deleted everything from #9 back. We replaced #9 with some Bassani Race mufflers, and it was just straight pipes all the way back. It was perfect IMO. Don't mind the ghetto rims... After all, this was over 5 years ago, it wasn't that bad back then. I'm look for another Sport right now. Looking for a S/C this time. I will be doing to the same setup on it when I find one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x852i2bHps
    1964 Cadillac El Do Convertible: Candy Green, 22s, Air Ride, etc...
    2005 Mercedes E55: 20" CV3, Carbon Goodies, Grey Wrap, etc...
    2004 Range Rover HSE 24" Black Vellano, Matte Silver Wrap

Went to Midas this morning on a whim to have them remove resonator #7 from my '10 S/C. I only had an hour, so I figured they could get it done. However, when they put it up on the lift they said it was a 2 hour gig minimum.. (had a babysitter at home, couldn't sit that long).

They said they needed to lower the exhaust (from the rear bumper side) in order to weld the new pipes where the resonator used to be. That combined with the confusing look on their face made me scratch it for another day. Anyone local to Seattle that would recommend a good shop?

I removed my resonators and put 4 inch polished tips on my 2013. Just added a little growl. Not too much noise but nice. I am really satisfied as that is where I wanted to end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Went to Midas this morning on a whim to have them remove resonator #7 from my '10 S/C. I only had an hour, so I figured they could get it done. However, when they put it up on the lift they said it was a 2 hour gig minimum.. (had a babysitter at home, couldn't sit that long).

They said they needed to lower the exhaust (from the rear bumper side) in order to weld the new pipes where the resonator used to be. That combined with the confusing look on their face made me scratch it for another day. Anyone local to Seattle that would recommend a good shop?
    Check out Dan Fast Muffler in Bellevue. I plan to do mine there in a couple weeks.

Dan Fast is great, I will go there. Funny though, they didn't want to install a xpipe on my Cayenne GTS the last time I was there.. about a year ago. However, they did do stuff similar before. I'm not sure what they will say, but they are probably the best in the area.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just did the resonator delete and performance pulley yesterday.... what a beast. I can't believe how good that makes the RR sound.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I just had my #7 resonator removed on my 5.0 SC and I think it sounds great for the price/process. No highway drone. If you drive normally you will barely hear it on the highway unless you step on it. Sounds best between 1k - 2k rpm in low gears. Has a nice deep growl to it especially in a garage with a cold start up.

Quote Originally Posted by TxPiKapp View Post
    I will try to post some videos as soon as I can. Any special requests for what kind of videos? Inside, outside, takeoff, sport & dynamic mode, etc...

ps. Pi Kapp alum at UTA - Texas Arlington
    Could you post a vid from inside the car at highway speeds (60-70), and if possible, a couple of acceleration runs from outside? It'd be much appreciated!
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

I decided to try out deleting the #7 resonator and I'm not sure how i feel about it yet. Its definitely louder than i thought it would be. Nice deep tone when accelerating and no highway drone even at 70-80mph. One thing thats really annoying is the back fire when in sport mode and slowing down through the gears. I might give it some time and see if i will get used to it. Here is a video of me accelerating from a dead stop.
    https://youtu.be/zw5-QuK-M_A
    2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged [Current]
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (2012 Facelift) [SOLD]

I quite like the burble when decelerating. Just this Monday evening I was in the yard pulling weeds and wifey was on her way home from the gym. There is a little bit of a downhill stretch toward our house and my ears perked up liking what they were hearing. Look up, and here is my rig coming home. Backfire it is not. There is no "pop". Just a "blub, blub, blub..." as the vehicle slows. Agree it is much more pronounced in Sport mode. Each his own.
    2012 RRS HSE Lux / Santorini Black over Ivory / 20% Tint / Rhino Rails / 4350K Fogs / Cooper LTZ / WeatherTech / Resonator Delete

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I quite like the burble when decelerating. Just this Monday evening I was in the yard pulling weeds and wifey was on her way home from the gym. There is a little bit of a downhill stretch toward our house and my ears perked up liking what they were hearing. Look up, and here is my rig coming home. Backfire it is not. There is no "pop". Just a "blub, blub, blub..." as the vehicle slows. Agree it is much more pronounced in Sport mode. Each his own.
    I like the burble sound as well but mine actually pops two or three time when decelerating in sport mode. Not sure if it has to do with my specific SUV or if it has to do with the pipes itself. The Muffler shop said they used 2.5" pipes instead of 2.25" which i think is the correct stock pipe sizing. I don't hear any popping in normal drive mode.
    2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged [Current]
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (2012 Facelift) [SOLD]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now