Removing the resonator...should I? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Removing the resonator...should I?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Removing the resonator...should I?

If anybody cares for an update, I took it off and it sounds amazing. Not too loud at all when driving normal, sounds the same at highway, but pushing that pedal down makes it roar.
    '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged LE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting it done? I called up a Midas and a Meineke and they were like...why start chopping up your brand new exhaust rather then trying to get me in to the shop to make some money off me. I think maybe going to a more specialty shop might be better.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just got this done on Wednesday for $60.00 as opposed to buying a Borla system for $1k, and it sounds the same to me. If you are in LA, use Sweeney's Mufflers in Torrance 90503.

2006 RR Sport S/C (Orange/Black)
    2008 MB CLK63 AMG Black Series

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_APv03AF16Kk/Sz...2/DSCN4803.JPG

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks lewisracing.....going tomorrow.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just got the #7 removed at Sweeney's in Torrance for $60 also. Man o man, sounds great. Beats spending a G for an aftermarket piece. Thanks again guys for all the information. Peace

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey lewisracing. After your removed that resonator, do you experience backfire from your exhaust? When i'm using the Sport Shift and i'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I raise the rpms to say 3-5k and let off the gas, around 2k rpm, i hear a loud backfire. I looked at the straight pipes that they installed and the diameter of the pipe is smaller than the original size diameter. Would that cause the backfire? Anybody experience the backfire after removing the big resonator? Please help. Thanks so much.

FRESHMAN ROVER

this is wht i did to mine i took out my rez and my two little mufflers you have by ur tips and took the big muffler out and put a flow master it sounds sick also a elite it sounds perfect not to loud and not to quite if you want it louder make ur piping bigger and i got a lot of complements about it

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by blazink5
    Hey lewisracing. After your removed that resonator, do you experience backfire from your exhaust? When i'm using the Sport Shift and i'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I raise the rpms to say 3-5k and let off the gas, around 2k rpm, i hear a loud backfire. I looked at the straight pipes that they installed and the diameter of the pipe is smaller than the original size diameter. Would that cause the backfire? Anybody experience the backfire after removing the big resonator? Please help. Thanks so much.
    I get backfire too on mine, I think it was always there but just not noticeable. In all honesty I think it sounds sweet, but maybe that's just because I'm a teenager.
    '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged LE

Folks - updated my exhaust and it sounds much better and does not seem to be any issues.

I had all the stock muffler peices chopped off. Replaced the 2 mufflers up front with a Magnaflow Muffler ( Part # 1256 which would be the same muffler in the full Cat Back system. Only cost me ($10. The muffler is bigger so both the round muffler and heart shaped silencer\resonator needs to come out.

At the back, took off the 2 cans and replaced with straight pipes and oval tips to finish it off.

There is a nice rumble from outside, no vibrations \ backfire etc. The cabin is still quiet, good enough to take my conference calls still.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Forumnoob
    Quote Originally Posted by blazink5
    I get backfire too on mine, I think it was always there but just not noticeable. In all honesty I think it sounds sweet, but maybe that's just because I'm a teenager.

When you say backfire, do you mean the popping on deceleration? If so, then I always enjoyed that on my '03 Cobra with Magnaflows. When I think of the word 'backfire', I think of John Candy's car in Uncle Buck that would sound like a shotgun before he turned it off. This I would NOT want.

I am also considering hacking only #7 off (the suitcase-sized exhaust located directly underneath), because I've heard clips and it sounds pretty good.

Yeah ...no John Candy like issues. Heard somewhere on ths forum that folks were having the backfire issue, could be mistaken.

NO popping either, sounds like a nice flowing rumble ....

I say knock knock out all the LR mufflers and either use a aftermarket muffler with straight pipes all the way through. Forgot to mention a special thank you to Paul on recommending I go this route.

FORUM MODERATOR

Vroom Vroom!

Glad it worked out T!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

recap: I had taken out the OEM peices, magnaflow muffler in the center with straight pipes and a tip in the rear. Nice rumble, but the drone just got to me. Fast forward to 2013. Got so **** sick of the drone -

On a quest to quiet things down I ordered a Borla Cat Back. What a mistake. Front part of the install went fine. Then on the rear, the hangers were not aligned. So based on so many good reviews and wanting a borla, the shop cut the hangers and aligned it. Now the rear system and tips wobbled too much - so they added more hangers. Excited on the new install - leaving the shop, the system was giving a vibration in the center dash somewhere. Type low end resonance that caused vibration - only while in drive and with the brake pressed. Regardless left the shop. The drone was worse than my set up with magnaflow. Don't get me wrong, I felt I had more power, which I know is not the case, but the drone was worse and I had to put it in "N" at every stop light to stop the vibration. Called Borla, they sent me 2 attachments to be welded on the pipes that would constrict the flow. Now on top of my original install cost - I had to pay to install this add-on. When I called Borla back on how to install - the guy did not know how this attachment should be fitted - he then said either in the front or back. This mod did not do anything.

Frustrated, PJP to the rescue. Asked him about some options, even possibly taking everything down and doing a Borla XS muffler.

With PJP's help, sourced Borla's Resonated tip. I went back with the OEM muffler and resonator in the center, and put the Borla resonated tips on.

This made a huge difference. Vehicle is so much quieter, there is a slight rumble heard on the outside only , sounds sporty, not the "tingy" like noise of the full OEM system.

This experiment cost me a lot of money with the various installs and to ship t back to Amazon. At the end, I'm much happier.

Really disappointed with Borla. Not sure if their quality has gone down since the initial set of folks who installed it.

Summary from a guy who did it all - cut the cans the rear - go with resonated tips and save yourself a lot of money. Why did I not listen to Drevs.....

I was thinking about doing this too, guess I will considering it is just $100ish.

UAV

I'd really like to hear what both an n/a & s/c 2010+ sounds like with #7 deleted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now