Removing the resonator...should I? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Removing the resonator...should I?

JUNIOR ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdered Out
    i took of 8 and barely notice a change. I'm going to do 7 and also add also add larger piping all the way back.
    I've gone down both these roads, so here's my 0.02....

The 8's are just flow through resonators. If you look down their length, there's nothing to them - removing them has minimal effect. They are there to decrease interior noise, apparently.

I'd say do not re-tube your rear system. Getting the bends just right is nearly impossible at a muffler shop, and you'll likely be left with places where it hits when going over bumps, etc. Larger diam pipe won't give you any increase in anything, except places where it bangs your undercarriage.
    Unless the shop has the ability to do mandrel bend. Otherwise going to a bigger tube and the crease that it has without the mandrel bend will just create less flow and more turbulence on the system and of course you want enough back pressure as well It is the smooth exhaust flow that will make the spent gasses get out faster on the exhaust.

Pokerplayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

That's good to know, I contacted a few places and found someone who has the a mandrel bender. I never really thought about it from that perspective.

Just for future referance, nearly every Midas has a mandrel bender.

the sections that i removed only required two straight pipes in the place of it, no bends in the piping (at least i think i remember that)... hmm i remember i have pics of it, i will find them and post them...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I was talking about adding larger diamter piping from the #7 resinator upto the exhast tips. which require a few bends

FORUM MODERATOR
    Good luck finding a skilled technician at Midas who can bend the pipe with the right diameter and not crimp it at the bends. Before I bought the Borla, I thought about doing this #7 and #8 mod...frankly, the Borla is 100 times better, is much lighter and sounds better, and the bends are pure, without any crimping.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Good luck finding a skilled technician at Midas who can bend the pipe with the right diameter
    That what I was thinking. If you're going to replace the whole system, replace it with a prefab system like the Borla. Trying to replicate the factory routing at a muffler shop is going to leave you upset. I speak from experience.

I still say that ditching the #7 and splicing in ~20" of straight tubing is the best bang for the buck, esp if you already have nice tips (HST, S/C, etc)

LEGACY VENDOR
    it used to be a $1000 shipped but now its $925 shipped borla is finally giving me some hats too....... (j/k umberto)
    Jeff Zylstra, Owner

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I recently cut off 7 and welded in 2 straight pipes. Great deep mean sound, my friend has the new XKR and they sound alot a like. No drone or anything at cruising RPMs, although pretty loud in the high range. I think its perfect personally because you baby it and its not loud or obnoxious at all or you can stomp on it and it will come alive and turn heads.
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Supercharged HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Removing the resonator...should I?

**** i just got quoted 460 to delete 6 and 7

FRESHMAN ROVER

on my 06 RRS S/C I took the muffler and the all resonators off and installed upfront 2.50" magna flow stainless steel x pipe part# (10791) following that I did flowmaster 2.50" 2 chamber muffler part#(9525454) and for the tips I did magna flow stainless steel 4" rolled lip part# (35164). By installing the xpipe it reduces the interior noise by alot, as for the exterior it sounds quiet on idle with little rumble and at W.O.T it sounds like a range rover on steriods. Im trying to upload the video up. All together I spent with install and parts $875.00. I could've gone with the borla but I wanted something different.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

nopsi I did something similar... removed both stock muffler and resonator and added a 2.5" dia. magnaflow... but I got the 24" or 28" or whatever the big one is, fearing it'd be too loud without TWO mufflers.

So now it does sound quite nice at WOT, and at just above idle it has a nice grumble, but at around 1400-1800 i have crazy bad resonance to the point that between 50-60mph cruising I find myself downshifting to 5th, even maintaining constant speed on flat roads is a nuisance, never mind very gentle acceleration. I think if I went with an appropriately sized muffler I would have been better off...

ahh live an learn. I'm just going to get my original exhaust setup welded back together so i have the stocker intact and normal, and go with the borla. My friend did all the work (tig welded mandrel bent pipes the works) so it only ran me $230 for the muffler shipped to Canada.

FRESHMAN ROVER

ok so now i got a qoute for 240 for crush bent stainless and 160 for crush bent non stainless
    noone around here has a manderal bender.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

If you have someone who can weld and doesn't mind spending a bit of time, you can get pre-bent mandrel piping and they can use it to make the bends necessary to connect the pipes you're trying to connect.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just had my resonator (#7 on the first page) removed today from meineke for $130. Overall I'm pretty satisfied, took them about an hour and the sound is actually a little louder than I had imagined. Its very deep when taking off from a stop but on the freeway there is no drone and you can barely hear it. Start up is a nice rumble that settles down to being barely noticeable. I'd have to describe the sound when taking off to be about two-thirds as loud as a escalade/denali with the borla (I hear those all the time haha)

FRESHMAN ROVER

My range is at the shop now getting #7 hacked off. I'll probably post up a video when it's all ready...I am excited though, I've gone 18 months with the stock exhaust
    '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged LE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now