Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC

Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC

I have been waiting for a while for my Indy mechanic to get his Induction cleaner kit, to clean my carbon build up in my motor, I'm tired of waiting, and would like to do it before my oil change which is currently due. has anyone used the seafoam on the 5.0 RRS? I did some research, looks like you pour a 3rd of the canister into your brake vacuum hose very slow, then let it set for about 5 min and take a run on the highway to blow out all the carbon build up as well as put some into the gas tank. anything I should know before pursuing this task?? Thanks for any advice

2011 RRS SC, Orkney Grey, Tan interior, 22" rims, roof rack, running boards, supercharged side vents, black lettering, double tip deleted Resonator exhaust. EuroCharged pulley and tuned ECU. 568HP
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in

I've been wondering the same thing. Then I saw this video and bought 2 cans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

Gonna use one per bank and let you know how it goes.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

Premium Member

Anything is better than nothing, however seafoam used like this really only dissolves the very top layer of oily build up, doesn't really get to any of the carbon itself. Also keep in mind that a lot of the smoke from the tailpipe you see when using this isn't anything really burning off, just the cleaner itself, essentially extra fuel.

Also, on this engine, don't use the brake booster line, as that is split off and goes to a mechanical pump and not just the intake manifold.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I successfully did my D1 several times. Will probably try on my RRS at some point too, my only concern is clogging the cats up with all the gunk that will come out. I did this right before swapping the cats on my D1 so that was not a concern last time.
    2009 RRS HSE LUX - Alaska White on Black - 18" LR3 10 spokes - BFG KO2 285/60/18 - GAP lift - Resonator Delete - Tail Light Guards - OEM Door Strips - 10" JL sub in custom RRS box.

Well its getting cold again and I know I'm going to have that hesitation when starting. I did use the seafoam but didnt seem to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBroker View Post
    I successfully did my D1 several times. Will probably try on my RRS at some point too, my only concern is clogging the cats up with all the gunk that will come out. I did this right before swapping the cats on my D1 so that was not a concern last time.

2011 RRS SC, Orkney Grey, Tan interior, 22" rims, roof rack, running boards, supercharged side vents, black lettering, double tip deleted Resonator exhaust. EuroCharged pulley and tuned ECU. 568HP

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 98cruiser View Post
    Well its getting cold again and I know I'm going to have that hesitation when starting. I did use the seafoam but didnt seem to do anything.
    I don't know how much you'll see on a 2011 truck, it can't be that flthy to majorly benefit from it...that said, if it really does work, doing it once a year might just keep things cleaner as preventative mantenence. My 1998 D1 had over a decade of crapola built up so yea it made a noticable (possibly just psycological) difference.
    2009 RRS HSE LUX - Alaska White on Black - 18" LR3 10 spokes - BFG KO2 285/60/18 - GAP lift - Resonator Delete - Tail Light Guards - OEM Door Strips - 10" JL sub in custom RRS box.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBroker View Post
    I don't know how much you'll see on a 2011 truck, it can't be that flthy to majorly benefit from it...
    Direct injection means there is never any fuel to clean the intake valves. I've seen 20k mile engines with what I consider heavy carbon build up on the valves.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Well,

I tried it and there was a bit of a problem.

First off the spray can and hose with the reinforced bendy thingy could not be placed properly enough to keep the little red nose from getting pinched so the fluid could not be sprayed into the throttle body.

Second, the instructions say "Place the hose so the end is 1/4" away from the TB which is kind of impossible seeing as how the intake after the MAF sensor is very far from the TB and there is a bend so you can't really get the end of the red hose close enough.

Third, the instructions say "Maintain an engine rpm of 1500-2000 to ensure proper treatment." With the 5.0 SC engine there are two intakes so this means not enough suction to get the solution to the TB so it's a no-go.

There *is* a way to do it and admittedly I was in a rush so I didn't take the time to think it through. I'll try again this time disconnecting the hose at the Throttle Body and injecting through there. That should get the desired results. This or I'll try to inject it through the intake manifold vacuum line.

BTW, does anyone know where the vacuum hose of the intake manifold is located on the 5.0 SC engines?
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

OK,

So in my efforts to figure this out, I took some pics. They will show the intakes leading to the TB and I'm hoping someone can point me to where the vacuum hose that leads to the intake may be, if there even is one. Also, why is there oil in the hose in one of the pics?

Attachment 154754Attachment 154762Attachment 154770Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC-img_2046.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC-img_2044rt.jpg   Has anyone used Seafoam to clean the carbon build up in the 5.0 SC-img_2056rt.jpg  

Premium Member

The hose with the oil is the line from your PCV valves, there should be a small amount of oil residue in it.

There really isn't a true vacuum hose on this engine, and you need to be extremely careful about putting anything non-compressible through the supercharger. Through the throttle body is what you need to do, with a spray while running, with a positive pressure intake(post supercharger) you won't really be able to have the spray 'sucked in' anywhere else.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Thanks Roverguy,

Is it safe to disconnect the intakes even though the MAFs will probably trigger an engine light and/or fault?

Premium Member

I would leave the MAFSs hooked up and the intake tube on, when introducing a large amount of additional fuel, you want the EMS to be in closed loop, not a default map.

I hook up our induction machine to spray from the driver's side, right where the corrugated tube meets the housing that hooks up to the throttle body, although, you'll want to be careful as I am spraying a very fine atomized mist, vs an aerosol stream that is probably more prone to going straight through towards the opposite side MAFS and filter.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now