Front end clunking - Page 5
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Front end clunking

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Prayn4Sno
    Good news, I just got my truck back and I am happy to report the "clunk" is finaly gone. I had a tech ride with me to verify the noise and they replaced 2 worn sway bar bushings #RBX500280 (Left & right) The tech also said they have replace more than a couple of these already. After a long year of listining to that noise I can say again my truck is silent.....for now. They also replace a leaking coolant hose at the thermostat, and replaced my steering wheel because it was "delaminating."
    That's awesome - congrats. Where did you get your RR serviced?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Prayn4Sno
    Good news, I just got my truck back and I am happy to report the "clunk" is finaly gone. I had a tech ride with me to verify the noise and they replaced 2 worn sway bar bushings #RBX500280 (Left & right) The tech also said they have replace more than a couple of these already. After a long year of listining to that noise I can say again my truck is silent.....for now. They also replace a leaking coolant hose at the thermostat, and replaced my steering wheel because it was "delaminating."
    I had the bushings replaced in Dec and the noise is back again. After 6 attempts and 21 days in the shop, I just sent my certified letter to LRNA to allow them one more attempt to fix this before I lemon
    nYc

2006 Range Rover Sport S/C - RIP via N.J.S.A. 56:12-29 to 56:12-49 aka NJ Lemon Law

JUNIOR ROVER
    I had it done at LR of Huntington (it used to be Smithtown). NY S/C I wonder if it also has to do w/your dynamic suspension package..that is standard with the S/C correct? Mine feels brand new again, i guess only time will tell, but at least for right now I am glad its gone. Keep us posted.
    2006 RRS HSE-Zermatt "Ellie"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    SBKIM,

My car is at the dealer as we speak. I did get a call yesterday from LR and my Service Manager and they both said that they ran the software on a car that was experiecning the same problem and the update fixed it. So, keep your fingers crossed. I should get my car back later today or tomorrow morning, depending on how long it takes, because I'm also having them fix the mirrors. They don't always go back to their set postions coming out of the reverse postions, annoying! But, I will definately let you all know what the outcome is.
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...hyfor6/RRS.jpg

DeDe

2010 S/C Range Rover Sport
    Previous Car 2007 S/C RRS

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    SBKIM,

My car is at the dealer as we speak. I did get a call yesterday from LR and my Service Manager and they both said that they ran the software on a car that was experiecning the same problem and the update fixed it. So, keep your fingers crossed. I should get my car back later today or tomorrow morning, depending on how long it takes, because I'm also having them fix the mirrors. They don't always go back to their set postions coming out of the reverse postions, annoying! But, I will definately let you all know what the outcome is.
    Beachy - thanks so much for the update! I hope they get it right for you - once and for all.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I should be getting my '06 S/C back tomorrow after driving a loaner LR2 for 2 wks (1k MI) uck!!!
    My service rep. knew exactly what was up when I described the clunk and all the posts here about the trials and tribulations.
    The 2 wks was due to a combo of waiting for the bushings to arrive coupled w/ a backlog as the result of couple of shop guys out w/ the flu.

I had noticed the clunk soon after my 15k service (I live on a dirt road so it was very pronounced)
    but having a good idea what it was, I thought I'd wait it out 'till my next service.

BUT Something REALLY interesting occurred that put my Sport in the shop a couple thousand miles early.

As I do every day, I backed out of my garage, drove 50mi to NYC, and pulled into in my garage there.
    About 15mins later, my garage guy calls me at work and says they can't move it. The battery's dead. I say "no way!" and walk back over.
    Well, it is in fact dead. No warnings, no errors. Just like that. Had just turned 20k MI and my 12th mo. of my lease. Dead, Dead, DEAD.
    Their booster box didn't have enough juice so we jumped from another car. OK - they'll let it run awhile.
    Go back after work... Dead again ... but the jumper cables had left for the day!
    So I called Roadside Assistance ... figure they'll be faster than AAA....WRONG!
    "We'll be there in 45min's" ......2 HOURS and 45 min's later ... they show up & jump start it & off I go 50mi home ... pissed.
    But no dimming lights, radio, heat, radar on ... no problem.
    Next morning... DEAD.

So I jump it & head over to my local LR Serv. Dept. After 10 mins my serv. rep. comes out & says "You gotta see this"
    (I should point out, I leased it from a different dealer down in Maryland, not these guys)
    Seems the Pos. lead that's attached to the upright stud on the terminal had become loose (or was never socked down during prep).
    What they found when they pulled the terminal off the pos. battery post was a nickel-sized hole in the top of the battery caused by the arching!
    It was maybe a day or two away from burning completely through the top of the battery case and either starting a fire or exploding!

Anyway, they didn't have a new battery lead in stock so I decided to leave it & get the 22.5k service done early as well as the swaybar bushings.
    I'll report back on the clunk status.

But WORD: Take a look at your battery leads. Make sure they're nice & snug.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Wow. What a mess. I feel for you. I'll have my service guys take a look at the battery while they have it in the shop. Thanks for the warning and I'm glad nothing more happened than the car dying, even though it was a pain in the butt, but better than catching on fire or exploding. Not good.

DeDe

JUNIOR ROVER
    ****. Good thing you caught it soon. When I dropped my truck off 5 techs were out with the flu but I got lucky, the tech that took the test drive with me also just stayed in it and began fixing it right away and they had the bushings in stock so it was done by 4 pm.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    So I did something mean and will have to walk an old lady across to make up for it. I called Clarance Burris at Tacoma LR in Washington state. He claimed to be the locations RESIDENT EXPERT on LR. I played stupid an acted as if I was in the market for a 08 RRS SC and asked about TSB's (I called them TBS's to seem uninformed) that affect this vehicle. TSB LS204-011. He said he had no idea about what i was talking about and did his best to talk me into coming down today to look at one. I guess the moral of this story is that on the SALES side of things they are not informing potential buyers of a serious issue that has affected the RRS for more than a year. I challenge others to call their dealer from a different number and use a different name and see how honest they are with you. I understand that you may get the new guy that honestly does not know because he was just transfered from KIA but I find that the RESIDENT EXPERT should but up on the service side of the vehicle he/she is selling. Now to find an old lady. Cheers
    otoppero
    99 Range 4.6
    06 Range Sport SC, Java, Big Lemon-gone
    99 Range 4.6-sold
    97 Disco I- sold
    00 Disco II-sold

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Beachy - any update from your service? Did the programming help at all?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yep. I have an udpdate. I pick up my car today, only three days later. The LR Engineer took the car for a ride, turns out the noise from the steering wheel is something totally different than the noise I hear going over bumps, which I thought so, but what do I know, I'm only a female consumer, so they fixed that noise on Wednesday, they run the software update and my cars computer rejected it so they had to run it again, which was yesterday, but I forgot to ask if it worked, duh, anyhow they are draing the suspension oil lines today and filling them back up, why, I don't know. Seems to me that maybe the software didn't take and they had to fix it mechanically or try to fix it. Anyhow, I'll ask all questions when I pick the car up today, and I'll also make someone go for a ride with me first, then I'll let you all know what the story is. My husband thinks they're yanking my chain, and they don't know how to fix the noise. We'll see

Talk to you all later today! Keep your fingers crossed!

DeDe

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So .. I'm happy

Picked my S/C & drove 100mi. r-trip to NYC & back....
    Back on my ridiculously bad dirt road (weather plays hell with it)
    No Clunk. Steering is tight - like new.
    In fact, having driven the LR2 loaner for 2wks, it took a couple of miles to stop over-steering.
    And a couple more 'till I stopped giving myself whiplash every time the light changed.
    They changed the front swaybar bushings AND the lower steering column.
    (I had told them I heard a slight click when I'd move the wheel a 1/4 turn left ... moving or standing still)

New Battery & all cables
    They must have forgotten I'd said the battery box cover was behind the passenger seat.
    Now I have a spare. (I'll give it back next time I'm there)
    22.5k service but no mention of a s-ware update. Maybe something that wouldn't be itemized?
    I think they put 150 mi.'s on my S/C ... but then again, I put over 1100 mi's on their loaner so....

Anyway, Premiere Land Rover in Mt. Kisco, NY - Serv. Advisor Eric ... on the money.
    I'll write 'em up in the Dealer Feedback thread ... after all, I did start it.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    timbrehse,

What did the Dealer do. May you please share a list of parts replaced and software ran, if any. Thanks from the rest of the "clunk crew".
    otoppero
    99 Range 4.6
    99 Range 4.6-sold
    97 Disco I- sold
    00 Disco II-sold

JUNIOR ROVER
    For me it was...
    First time - PART # QMN500250, that was for excessive play in steering, gone.
    Second time - PART # QEB500490, this was for the shimmy, gone
    Third and forth time - could not replicate clunk
    Fifth time - PART # RBX500280, clamp swaybar bushings....CLUNK GONE. The 1st, 2nd time was also brought in for the clunk and the parts they fixed were supposed to fix the clunk. As of right now the front is silent again.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Thanks Sno, I will list my repair orders when I get back to the house.
    otoppero
    99 Range 4.6
    99 Range 4.6-sold
    97 Disco I- sold
    00 Disco II-sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now