Advice/Help with driving in snow - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Advice/Help with driving in snow

Re: Advice/Help with driving in snow

Done.... the wife and I bought snow tires a few weeks ago after a VERY harsh Canadian winter. This winter we really want to be prepared and both bought Bridgestone Blizzaks DMVs. Great reviews and the only complaint is that they are a little to soft so they wear fast. I don't mind.... Accidents are way more expensive.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Blizzaks are good tire. They are soft but noisy. Bridgestone is good enough on ice like Michelin. But on soft snow and deep snow they are useless.

Blizzak dmv is good for little 4x4 like Subaru,Honda crv, Lexus RX.

The real question is if I'm going to get some snow here in the Pacific Northwest... this is BS!?!?!?!? Its been a few years since a nice snow storm...
    - 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    - 2014 BMW i3

Range Rover
    (10 mpg) | BMW i3 (124 mpg) = 1 strange garage

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    The real question is if I'm going to get some snow here in the Pacific Northwest... this is BS!?!?!?!? Its been a few years since a nice snow storm...
    Serb,

I've driven 4+ hours in whiteout conditions before. Trust me, after that drive there was nothing *nice* about a snow storm lol.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

FRESHMAN ROVER

Fun, albeit ancient thread. As has been pounded through on this thread, my experience is tires trump all else for mild snow driving. After living in Germany for a few years, driving in the Alps, going to grad school in Colorado, and growing up in Ohio, I love driving in the snow and think it's a hoot. Sadly, when there is no one around, I do drive in a rather juvenile fashion- donuts and all.

In any event, while in Germany, we had a second set of wheels for my wife's 325xi with full on snow tires and basically had so much grip, we basically drove almost like it was dry. Now, if you have a lot of experience driving in these conditions, things like stopping distance and cornering speeds are second nature to be mostly different. Honestly, it got boring and I'd start to turn off the traction control and do some fun rally style drifts.

But the point is, to do it correctly, just get a second set of wheels with proper tires- as I have learned in many years of dual sport motorcycling, there is no "do it all" tire, and running snow tires for anything other than those conditions will have them worn out almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by longtallsall View Post
    Fun, albeit ancient thread. As has been pounded through on this thread, my experience is tires trump all else for mild snow driving. After living in Germany for a few years, driving in the Alps, going to grad school in Colorado, and growing up in Ohio, I love driving in the snow and think it's a hoot. Sadly, when there is no one around, I do drive in a rather juvenile fashion- donuts and all.

In any event, while in Germany, we had a second set of wheels for my wife's 325xi with full on snow tires and basically had so much grip, we basically drove almost like it was dry. Now, if you have a lot of experience driving in these conditions, things like stopping distance and cornering speeds are second nature to be mostly different. Honestly, it got boring and I'd start to turn off the traction control and do some fun rally style drifts.

But the point is, to do it correctly, just get a second set of wheels with proper tires- as I have learned in many years of dual sport motorcycling, there is no "do it all" tire, and running snow tires for anything other than those conditions will have them worn out almost immediately.

Could not have said it better. Winter driving in Eastern Ontario is quite similar less the mountains but Europe I feel has an edge on it's drivers. I'm pretty sure that in Germany the requirements to get your license are far stricter than in NA. Even in Finland part of your driving test involves performing a textbook power slide.

BTW, I'm sure this thread gets resurrected all the time but I'll be it happens most often once winter hits most of us... Around December/January

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now