Advice/Help with driving in snow - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice/Help with driving in snow

Re: Advice/Help with driving in snow

Here in Canada there are so many ways to drive in the snow and it changes from one block to another. You could be on bare pavement one minute, turn a corner and then be on 2 inches of snow so adaptability is key. One thing that I usually do when there's snow on the roads is do a test slide once I leave the driveway just to see how far I'll skid to a stop.

Best tips are:
    - drive pre-emptively, look well ahead and try to read traffic so you know what's going on.
    - don't brake prematurely in heavy traffic. Remember there are drivers behind you.
    - on the highway in heavy snow, ease off the gas when changing lanes and allow the car to coast into the next lane. Abrupt moves when switching from one "snow lane" to another can cause you to spin out. Those who have been there know what I mean.
    - If skidding towards a car, try to steer behind it if possible. Cars that see you coming will most likely drive forward than in reverse.
    - if you're a nervous driver or not comfortable behind the wheel, try to avoid driving in those conditions.
    - Don't wear heavy coats and thick jackets when driving as this will restrict your movements. You should ALWAYS be able to make shoulder checks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

As good as the 4wd and TC systems in these cars are, they can only provide as much traction as the tires are capable of giving. That said, I would personally prefer a +07my SC over most HSEs, as they were fitted with locking rear diffs, which do help a great deal.

If snow is something you see more than a couple times a year, and more than a couple inches each time, and driving through it is a must, I would absolutely recommend a set of snow tires. If nothing else, they will extend the life of your other tires, and obviously give you better traction in dicey situations. Even all-season tires are not rated for extreme cold, and don't get me started on the stock Michelin Latitude Diamaris - that was a bad idea by LR.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

SOPHOMORE ROVER

the important thing is start the engine.
    good oil, clean spark plugs, good gas, fully charged good battery.

if you start the engine than you have to buy a good snow tires. i have too much experiences on snow and ice. i can drive my car in hard winter conditions without snow tires, but i always buy good tires in winter.

advices
    1. look ahead and focus everytime
    2. be careful in snow lanes dont try steering if the car is in deep snow lane
    3. never brake harder, if its necessary select low gears the braking.
    4. use the accelerator pedal very carefuly
    5. if you dont have experience on snow, try your car in safety place. braking, gas pedal, accelerating...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I 100% agree on getting a set of Winter Rated Tires. I have a 2011 Sport HSE Luxury with 20". My first year purchasing it, we had ice and snow on the roads in NYC, I've never felt so unsafe before. Here i am thinking that i just bought a Range Rover and i'm invincible. Wrong, the Stock Michelin Diamaris are absolute crap, my truck slid down a street and i was only doing 15 MPH. This winter, i purchased a set of Nokian Happaletti R2 SUV. I now feel safe, i purposely drove hard on ice and snow and it held up, keep in mind every vehicle will slip and slide, but Snow tires are a must if you live in an area where you get hard winters.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I encounter situations similar to those described by OP, wherein the snow on some roads are plowed completely (such as highways or main roads) and some are not. What is the recommended way to change traction control when going from one type of road surface to another? Can it be done safely while the vehicle is moving? I always slow down to a near stop or full stop before changing the program on the center console. It would be nice to know the proper way this should be done. By the way, the improved handling on snow using the snow program is quite significant, and I strongly recommend using it.
    '08 RRS SC

Unless you are also wanting to engage low range at the same time, you should be able to switch Terrain Response programs on-the-fly, really no need to slow down. The system is smart enough to gradually "ease you" into the new program if if detects your speed or your gears are too high (or, it will prevent you from selecting that program altogether, such as if you were trying to accidentally switch to Rock Crawl or engage HDC while speeding down the highway at 70 mph, for example.)

Zombie thread! I'll chime in for off road, deep snow driving (chains or no chains). I like to use the Mud & Ruts setting, turn TC off, and keep a good foot on the throttle. If you keep TC on it will slow you to a crawl and you'll either be heading in a direction you don't want or just come to a stop and get stuck.
    Last edited by TripleE; February 25th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.

I own the 2014 Range Rover SC Full Size. I have new 22" rims and need tires. I live in Colorado and drive through the mountains often. The guy at the tire shop was pushing the Yokahama Parada Spec X all season. He said I should have siping done to them. I asked him about Perelli Scorpion Winter 275/40/22 and he said he didn't recommend them because of the load rating and because he thought the Yokahama Prada Spec X sipined were better all around. Any thought?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

the best winter tire is Nokian. if you cant find nokian you may buy michelin. Pirelli, made in italy??? italy and snow?

if the deal is winter tire buy it from cold country. Finland, Russia, sweden

Quote Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
    Zombie thread! I'll chime in for off road, deep snow driving (chains or no chains). I like to use the Mud & Ruts setting, turn TC off, and keep a good foot on the throttle. If you keep TC on it will slow you to a crawl and you'll either be heading in a direction you don't want or just come to a stop and get stuck.
    You cannot turn Traction Control off - I assume you mean DSC (Stability Control) which is not TC.
    Range Rover Sport
    2.7 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by mylife1903 View Post
    the best winter tire is Nokian. if you cant find nokian you may buy michelin. Pirelli, made in italy??? italy and snow?

Good point!..

Quote Originally Posted by mylife1903 View Post

Two words for you: Alberto Tomba.

FORUM MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob View Post
    Two words for you: Alberto Tomba.
    Il grande Alberto!!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by scottrosey View Post
    I own the 2014 Range Rover SC Full Size. I have new 22" rims and need tires. I live in Colorado and drive through the mountains often. The guy at the tire shop was pushing the Yokahama Parada Spec X all season. He said I should have siping done to them. I asked him about Perelli Scorpion Winter 275/40/22 and he said he didn't recommend them because of the load rating and because he thought the Yokahama Prada Spec X sipined were better all around. Any thought?

I have the Prada spec-X and they suck balls in the snow. They rock when the roads are dry or wet but put an inch or two of snow on the road and they can't hold. I think the car is just too heavy for that tread pattern. A more V shaped tread pattern would help IMHO.

FORUM MODERATOR

I also run the Parada Spec X as a street tire, but it's an All Season tire and by no means a Snow tire: Link here to the specifications and rated performance under different driving conditions. Your best bet is to get a good M&S or dedicated snow tire if you have significant snow to contend with. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....150306184154:s
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now