Advice/Help with driving in snow - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice/Help with driving in snow

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
    I'm absolutely no use in this thread.

I've never seen snow on a road in over 45 years of driving. In fact, I've only ever seen snow a few times in my life and I've never driven on/in it.
    Ron Beckett
    2004 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Snow, isn't that just cold mud?
    Rob Page
    '05 LR3 Trail V Package, ARB BB, Warn XD9000
    '03 Range Rover Classic LWB "Blue Beast"
    '76 International Scout II ("Bessie") "Perma Project #2"
    '07 GMC Siera 2500 HD Duramax "Rover Support Vehicle"

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rpage
    Snow, isn't that just cold mud?
    Very likely.

Rob - you are game enough to advertise that you drive a Camry?

They are the bane of my life. I'm always being held up by old farts driving bloody Camrys! I hate bloody Camrys.

Ron (who used to have a company Camry.... )
    Ron Beckett
    2004 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Auto

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I drive it very little, it is my Wife's. It is a stock V-6 six speed auto and tops out over 142, according to the FDLE Undercover Officer who couldn't catch up in his 300 Chrysler until we stopped! Boy, he was p*&&ed off! Oh well, speed test complete! Hence, "the sleeper" name.

I drive the Yukon daily, about 5k miles a month. The RR and Scout are driven frequently when I am close around the area.

Btw, my Wife is ready for a V6 LR3 soon, but she likes to run all over the SE USA shopping and the fuel prices have been holding her back. No big deal to her to drive 3-4 hours to go to a specific store. She does not drive slow either. A common auto has it's advantages on the highway during monthly quota time for the cops.
    Rob Page
    '05 LR3 Trail V Package, ARB BB, Warn XD9000
    '03 Range Rover Classic LWB "Blue Beast"
    '76 International Scout II ("Bessie") "Perma Project #2"
    '07 GMC Siera 2500 HD Duramax "Rover Support Vehicle"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpage
    I drive it very little, it is my Wife's. It is a stock V-6 six speed auto and tops out over 142, according to the FDLE Undercover Officer who couldn't catch up in his 300 Chrysler until we stopped! Boy, he was p*&&ed off! Oh well, speed test complete! Hence, "the sleeper" name.
    I was only going 85mph.
    98’ P38 4.0: Current
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

JUNIOR ROVER
    Driving in snow is very different. You have to look at the type of snow and the temp of the road. A good indicator is if the snow is blowing across the road (right on top of it) means its very cold and the road is frozend but if the snow seems to dissolve the road is warm and should be ok. When the road is cold driving is much more difficult. Best to stay on the fresh powder for traction staying out of ruts. Be sure to always watch for "black ice" The most common problem is you get over confident and it is too late to realize you cant stop.
    '10 HSE traded for LX 570
    08 LR 3

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yrbender
    Driving in snow is very different. You have to look at the type of snow and the temp of the road. A good indicator is if the snow is blowing across the road (right on top of it) means its very cold and the road is frozend but if the snow seems to dissolve the road is warm and should be ok. When the road is cold driving is much more difficult. Best to stay on the fresh powder for traction staying out of ruts. Be sure to always watch for "black ice" The most common problem is you get over confident and it is too late to realize you cant stop.
    Or move to Florida.

That interesting, never heard of black ice?

Leo
    98’ P38 4.0: Current
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Black ice is just plain nasty....you can't see it on the road because it just looks wet and generally the entire road looks the same. It's an interesting experience when your driving along on a wet road and suddenly your back end wants to trade places with your front end, many a ditch gets visited because of the black ice.
    Generally the conditions appear when snow has fallen, traffic melts the snow on the road but the temperature and wind are cold enough to freeze the melted snow on the road.
    We see numerous snowfalls every year, some only a couple of inches, some a few feet. Temperatures can dip down to the minus 35 celcius mark with windchills on top of that making it feel like minus 45 celcius (by the way, minus 35 celcius is minus 30 fahrenheit)

If the dealer here sold the RRS with tires unacceptable for our conditions they would be in big trouble, both legally and from a customer perspective. I've never used winter tires, only chains when necessary in the mountains. For everything else the all season M+S have been fine.
    '07 Range Rover Sport HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony interior | Smoked Tails | Smoked Side markers | Rear Brush Guards | Mud Flaps | Running Boards | Dual Fog Lamps | Chrome Mirror Covers | SC Grille | Valentine One | Front Door Window 35% Tint | ACM IPhone kit | Roadhawk BB Camera |
    '14 Range Rover Autobiography | Black/Black/Black | Executive rear seating | Valentine One | Roadhawk BB Camera |

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksun
    If the dealer here sold the RRS with tires unacceptable for our conditions they would be in big trouble, both legally and from a customer perspective. I've never used winter tires, only chains when necessary in the mountains. For everything else the all season M+S have been fine.
    The OP was looking for info on driving his S/C through snow because they don't come with M+S tires. I have driven mine in 6" snow and it does okay at best. Turning and braking are when you feel the limitations of the tires and quite honestly, I wouldn't want to drive my S/C in any mountains as it is now. Your HSE has decent all season tires... If what you're saying is true, what tires come on an S/C out there in Canada?
    nYc

2006 Range Rover Sport S/C - RIP via N.J.S.A. 56:12-29 to 56:12-49 aka NJ Lemon Law

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Stock tires in Canada are....

HSE - 255/50R19 Continental CrossContact UHP 107Y
    S/C - 275/40R20 Continental 4x4 SportContact 106Y
    '07 Range Rover Sport HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony interior | Smoked Tails | Smoked Side markers | Rear Brush Guards | Mud Flaps | Running Boards | Dual Fog Lamps | Chrome Mirror Covers | SC Grille | Valentine One | Front Door Window 35% Tint | ACM IPhone kit | Roadhawk BB Camera |
    '14 Range Rover Autobiography | Black/Black/Black | Executive rear seating | Valentine One | Roadhawk BB Camera |

JUNIOR ROVER
    I just called my dealer today to get some snow tire put on and he said it wasnt worth the money and it would run the same on slicks. I find that a little odd. I have all season tires and have driven through blizzards when the roads have been closed without any trouble but I would feel safer with snow tires. I only have 17k easy miles on my current tires. Now I'm just more confused.
    08 LR 3

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksun
    Stock tires in Canada are....

HSE - 255/50R19 Continental CrossContact UHP 107Y
    S/C - 275/40R20 Continental 4x4 SportContact 106Y
    Thats what we get here too. Based on your previous message, I thought you guys might get all season tires on S/C's. 4X4 sportcontacts aren't M+S
    nYc

2006 Range Rover Sport S/C - RIP via N.J.S.A. 56:12-29 to 56:12-49 aka NJ Lemon Law

FRESHMAN ROVER

winter driving, ontario

I know everyone says Winter Tires are best, and they probably are, but the stock RR all seasons seem to be pretty good so far for me.

I have a FFRR SC 2007 and I was driving last week through our first storm of the season there was about 4 inches of snow, very limited visability, slush and black ice. Where I am in Aurora/King City there are a lot of hills, and often you would see cars slide off into the ditch or cars trying to go up the hill and not be able to make it and slide back down.

I can say as a new RR owner with stock wheels, I was very impressed with the RR, I set the TC to Snow and I was able to go up the hills without slipping and the going down the hills the antilock brakes worked perfect, I had control of the RR and no slippage on corners and was able to maintain good speed 40 to 60 km/h

Alot has to do with the cars also, my wife had a VW new beetle with stock all seasons and this thing would slide around and get stuck all the time, it was a death trap in winter, we sold it and now she has a 2007 bmw 328xi again with stock all seasons, however the bmw has all wheel drive, she says she can't belive the difference driving in the ice and snow, she says she can feel the wheels grip and bite into the snow.

So while true winter tires are best, I think the kind of car you are driving plays a big part.

Of course driving in the snow with low profile summer racing tires is a bad bad idea.

I am looking forward to when we have more snow and going for a drive

Duane
    2007 Range Rover SC

JUNIOR ROVER
    I'm doing the same this year had no trouble last winter and cant find any winter tires to fit around here. I do agree a winter tire would be better.
    08 LR 3

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Not sure Land rover would agree with you.....here is an ad from the Calgary Herald from this week.....kind of says it all.

http://shopping.calgaryherald.canada.co ... 6763&type=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now