RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes

FRESHMAN ROVER

RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes

Hello all I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on multiple codes that I'm getting

Just recently tried to register my vehicle and received in the news that I did not pass the emissions portions of the test.
    The document handed back to me gave me varied codes that I was failing as listed below:
    P0302,P0307, P0304, P0306, P0300, P0332, P0327

The vehicle has been driving a little sluggish lately but having that many codes I would expected to see my check engine light on. What I was told was that my check engine light should be on but it wasn't coming on meaning that when the key is put in the ignition the check engine light never comes on, not even initially. has anyone ever experienced this problem?

My question to the form is do you have any advice on where I can start looking for potential suspects to this problem
    What baffles me is that I never even noticed that the check engine light does not come on when the key is put in the ignition I searched the forum and there were some articles about the ECU not communicating to the BECM what can I check to attempt to verify that is not the issue?

Thank you in advance for any advice they can be provided toward solving this issue

King
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes - new to forum need a bit of

Pull the plastic covers off the valvecovers (rocker box covers) and pull a coil pack out (2x10mm nuts). Is the cavity filled with oil?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes - new to forum need a bit of

I'll check that today and let you know

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

All the coil packs are clean, any other ideas?

Premium Member

What year, mileage?

Also a misfire fault on any of these(06-current) is usually not a misfire in the terms of an older vehicle, where it is something noticeable, generally a stored fault due to many different possible reasons, that is there due to a lack of it firing as well as it should have at a given time.

If the engine is running ok, to get through your inspection you can probably have them cleared, and drive it for 60-100 miles for everything to reset, and you should be fine. Year and mileage will determine possible causes, and what should probably be done to keep this issue from getting any worse.

It not turning on should set another fault code, as the MIL is monitored, but I'm sure that can be bypassed.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: RRS having multiple misfires and knock sensor codes

Year is 2006, and mileage is 142782
    I have both a Actron scanner model CP9185 and the IIDTool from gap diagnostics.
    The Actron scanner shows no Codes but the I ID cool shows some codes in some of my ECUs none of which for the life of me seem to attribute to the MIL not turning on. At first I thought that the MIL light had blown in the dashboard but the IID tool allowed me to check each individual group of indicators and I was able to manually turn it on so I know that it works but it will not indicate when the key is put in the vehicle and for this reason they tell me I cannot pass inspection if it does not illuminate at least briefly when the key is put in the ignition
    I read somewhere on the forms that it not illuminating may possibly be a security linkage between two of the ECUs that has stopped working

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry in the above post I ket saying MIL but meant CEL

FRESHMAN ROVER

Another thing I noticed was was this I was doing live value monitoring while driving and battery voltage never peaked above 12.9v as read through the port.
    I did change the alternator earlier this year with a rebuilt when the original went out. I'm wondering if it may be causing some of my woes.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Think I found out why check engine light doesn't come on with key in. I updated instrument pack ECU. IT SAYS "On 2005-2006 North American vehicles only, the amber «parking brake» indicator light replaces the «check engine» light." Maybe this documentation is good enough to get me past inspection( hope, hope, hope)

Instrument Pack ECU
    Updating the IPC Instrument Pack by selecting «Instrument Pack» on earlier model years (2004 to 2006) adds the clock display. It may only be displayed in the 24 hrs format. Selecting «IPC Old» will update the instrument pack with the pre-2008 version. Once re-flashing is completed, turn the key to the OFF position for at least 3 minutes before starting the engine.
    • •

Risk Level Consequence Recovery Method Precautions
    Moderate Vehicle unusable Instructions below None
    Before updating the instrument pack ECU, please read the following:
    Re-flashing the Instrument Pack ECU takes around one minute.
    When turning ON the headlamps on a 2005-2006 vehicle after the IPC-Instrument Pack firm-
    ware has been updated, the AHCM (auxiliary heater, fitted on diesel vehicles) indicator light will turn ON. On 2007 and up vehicles, the logo for this particular lamp changed for the «headlamps ON» one. On 2005-2006 North American vehicles only, the amber «parking brake» indicator light replaces the «check engine» light. If these differences bother you, do not update the IPC Instrument Pack ECU. It is also possible to eliminate these differences by replacing the dials fascia with the 2007 and up one.
    The low coolant warning lamp may come on after updating because the later firmware will react differently to the sensor input. This may be due to the coolant level being too low or a known problem with the expansion tank float/sensor becoming less buoyant. We strongly recommend fixing the issue but it is also possible to revert back to the earlier firmware version.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now