WTB: Trailer Hitch / Electronics Package
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB: Trailer Hitch / Electronics Package

FRESHMAN ROVER

WTB: Trailer Hitch / Electronics Package

Hey folks... I'm new to the forum. Just ordered a 08... should be here soon. I would like to buy the towing accessories from any of you that have them and don't use them. Let me know!

Thanks.

Daniel Davis

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum Daniel! When are you expecting delivery of your 2008? 99Troop is selling a hitch receiver real cheap:

https://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16766

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Ha! I had already read that one! Purportedly, I should get the car middle of next month. We will see... I actually didn't "order" it, I just put the deposit on the first one the dealer had ordered...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Welcome to the forum Daniel! When are you expecting delivery of your 2008? 99Troop is selling a hitch receiver real cheap:

https://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16766

I borrowed the dealers hitch on Saturday; I needed something to pull my ATV to the camp. Oh yea and you may not need the OEM hitch kit either. I simply pulled the hitch off of my old Trooper reversed the ball to give me better height and I was good to go. The trailer height was still a little low but I'll order something off of Northern Tool to compensate. I also will be towing a tractor from time to time on a tandem axle trailer and I believe I'll need another inch or two of height. I better give the dealer their $380 hitch back...they may be getting annoyed with me by now.

'07 RRS Super Charged Baby Yea! Black/Black
    '99 Isuzu Trooper.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Just as a follow up I ordered a high rise Hitch ball (will give me two inches of lift) and a high/low receiver that will give me an additional 2 3/4 inches of lift. I believe this will put me at a height that is 1" or 2” higher than what is stated/recommended in the manual, but I believe this will suffice for my towing needs. The ball was $11.99 and the receiver was $17.99. The manual recommends a maximum draw bar\receiver length of 9", the one I ordered is 8". Anyway these items were ordered from Northern Tool and I believe these items will meet my towing needs and save me a few hundred dollars in the process. Of course I do not get that nice plastic case that comes with the OEM product but I guess you just can't have it all. If any of you plan to tow with your RRS, I recommend taking a look at the Northern Tool web site (northerntool.com) and typing in Towing in their search section. They really have quite a variety of items that will allow you to customize your towing height. See below for pics of the two items I ordered (pics 1 & 2). I posted pic 3 because I found it to be rather interesting. Pic 3 is a receiver that will allow you to tow and to also add maybe a cargo basket or a bike rack.......though I believe with the RRS, this may sit way to low for towing.

'99 Isuzu Trooper.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for the 411. To be clear, you are giong to flip the receiver to give you the extra height? Also, I wonder if you could do the same with pic #3 and then place the cargo rack below the ball??

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Cutter
    Thanks for the 411. To be clear, you are giong to flip the receiver to give you the extra height? Also, I wonder if you could do the same with pic #3 and then place the cargo rack below the ball??
    That’s correct Carolina Cutter, unfortunately I just received the ball and the receiver today and though it’s got the height that I want, the receiver is about 2" too short. The ball comes up to the bumper but there is only 1/4" of clearance between the ball and the bumper. That dog don't hunt. I went and just ordered a 16" length receiver from JC Whitney and I am sure that this should work. Anyway I guess I'll eat the cost of the receiver purchased from Northern tool but I am will still be way ahead of the game than if I would have purchased the OEM receiver from the dealership. I'll let everyone know the results of the receiver purchased from JC Whitney when it comes in.

About pic 3 above, yes, I was thinking the same thing but I am sure that the shaft length on this will not be long enough to clear the bumper. This could easily be solved if you have friends with access to a welding machine and some steel tubing.

'99 Isuzu Trooper.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks again. Please let me know what you end up with... I owe you some Advil for saving me the headache...

Daniel

FRESHMAN ROVER
    any updates?

JUNIOR ROVER
    actually after having the trailer packaging with the hitch installed I have seen a few trucks with ones from Walmart. they throw in the bottom part that fits right in after using the lr one.
    I left my wife for fishing and haven't looked back since.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now